Antenna Question - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-05-2008, 05:12 PM   #1

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
I'm going nuts trying to decide what brand and model antenna to put on my 17' Casita. Also can't figure out just where to put an antenna with all the other stuff up there. Wondering how many have put a retractabal pole on the back of the trailer to hoist an antenna?

Old 03-05-2008, 05:14 PM   #2

Name: Ches
Trailer: 1992 Kustom Koach 17 FT
British Columbia
Quote:
I'm going nuts trying to decide what brand and model antenna to put on my 17' Casita. Also can't figure out just where to put an antenna with all the other stuff up there. Wondering how many have put a retractabal pole on the back of the trailer to hoist an antenna?
I had a retractable pole antenna on my 13ft Trill. Works good.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:16 PM   #3

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
If I was of the need an antenna type (I assume for that vast waste land called television), it would have be the type used for DTV. Remember analog television as you know it today will be a thing of the past a year from now. It'll still probably be a vast waste land, but to each their own.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:17 PM   #4

Name: Pete
Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Tennessee
I decided to wait and see what they come out with for amplified HD TV antennas.
I saw one at Walmart for 39 bucks that looked small enough to put up just about anywhere.
I figure if they are going to change TV ,I'll just stick with the rabbit ears inside the Burro fornow.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:28 PM   #5

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Arizona
Quote:
If I was of the need an antenna type (I assume for that vast waste land called television), it would have be the type used for DTV. Remember analog television as you know it today will be a thing of the past a year from now. It'll still probably be a vast waste land, but to each their own.
So I gather from this you don't watch much TV Byron...
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:42 PM   #6

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
So I gather from this you don't watch much TV Byron...
I watch my TV all the time. I watch the gauges while driving it, watch the front to see where I am on the road, and watch the mirrors to see who's behind me.

Oh, maybe you meant Television. The only fiction I watch is local and national news. Once is a while I'll watch a sporting event. I'd much rather play with code in front of computer or play with wood in my shop.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:17 PM   #7

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I'm going nuts trying to decide what brand and model antenna to put on my 17' Casita.
I have installed a Winegard Hideaway HA-0130 on the side of my Fiber Stream. I made an inverted "[b]L" shaped aluminum mount, and mounted the antenna's brackets to it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hideaway_TV_antenna_closed.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	11879

[b]Antenna Closed For Travel

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hideaway_TV_antenna_open.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	11880

[b]Antenna Open For Use

We deployed the Antenna at the Quartzsite rally and ran the Television off of the inverter.
We picked up Yuma stations off the air, even PBS!
Old 03-05-2008, 09:17 PM   #8

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
I got Yuma stations with my batwing..

the big problem was. .....

It was the Yuma stations.

I actually get several SAN DIEGO HD stations from a place I camp close to here. It's out on the mountain "rim" and you can actually see down to San Diego on a clear day (Thats one day a year in So. Cal, I think...)

Anyway, I don't know if the HD stations were only HD or if they are simulcasting for a period of time, just like they have been doing in Portland for awhile. Obviously, I am not getting an HD picture on my TV, but the stations definately identify themselves as HD.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:23 PM   #9

Thanks, Frederick. I'm probably going to do something similar with a pole and "flag-holder" type arrangement on the back of the trailer. I'm thinking about sticking a Sensar III up there on a temporary telescoping pole. (I want an amplified antenna) Just doesn't seem to be room on the roof for the Sensar and it's lifting aparatus, and I don't like the idea of the crank and other stuff up on the ceiling inside. But I might change my mind tomorrow. I think I'm losing my mind over this darned antenna mess!
Old 03-06-2008, 12:32 AM   #10

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Chris,
I forget the layout of your SD. On "Nuestra Casita", our FD, the previous owner installed a crank-up batwing. He chose a unique location between the awning & the raised part of the roof, with the crank-up handle inside, towards the back of the cabinet over the microwave. When the antenna is down, it can't be seen without a stool, or standing on the trailer frame. It has really worked well in that location. Extra antenna wiring was also done so there are outside cable connections on both sides of the TT, and both 12V & 110V outlets to the rear of the refrigerator grills.
I recall seeing a crank handle in front of the bathroom door when inside another FD, but didn't notice what it looked like on the outside.
Choices, choices...!
Kurt & Ann K.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:11 AM   #11

Name: Patrick
Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty (Sold 2011)/ Honda Odyssey
Arizona
I would do something similar to Frederick if I wasn't a DirecTv junkie. Since Casita already has a cable connector on the top of the rear corner, connecting to such an antenna should be easy. Maybe do a bumper mount with tent poles.

Antennas will still work next year when stations start broadcasting in digital. Any old VHF/UHF antenna will do the job of pulling in those ghost-free pictures, assuming there's not a mountain between you and the broadcaster, of course.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:21 AM   #12

Thanks, Patrick. I will probably follow Frederick's lead.

Thought I'd add this link though. There are so many comments floating around that this might help.

http://www.dennysantennaservice.com/1161550.html
Old 03-06-2008, 08:36 AM   #13

Name: Patrick
Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty (Sold 2011)/ Honda Odyssey
Arizona
I did not know they were going to use the VHF channels! Good to know, and I edited my post.
Quote:
<span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%">[b]To insure the reception of all free over the air HDTV channels after this transition, make sure the antenna you select is suitable for both VHF and UHF TV reception.
</span></span>
Old 03-06-2008, 09:00 AM   #14

Trailer: U-Haul 13 ft
Does anyone have any experience with this hidden antenna product?

See page 2 of the PDF.

http://www.anli.ru/ru/attach_file/mobilant...4cf440d866d53ce

You might be able to hide one of these pretty much anywhere within our fiberglass travel trailers!