Anti-sway Bar - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2014, 12:59 PM   #41

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infogypsy View Post
Clearly I must not be saying this right. I am heavy if anything on tongue, giving a slight downward tug on tv. .

Squat/compress effect on tug is immaterial per sway. It's the relationship between tongue and total trailer weight that matters.

I'd expect as little as 75 pounds or so to give a "slight downward tug" on the Forester. That doesn't mean you've got a stable setup.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:26 PM   #42
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infogypsy View Post
But thanks all. I've got answer. Never tow in winds above 20-25 mph.
??????

We live and tow mostly around the great lakes where it is windy almost all the time. Never have a sway issue. It's all about set up.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:04 PM   #43

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
California
I don't think INFO Gypsy (a very appropriate name by the way) gets the message ! What he is doing is very unsafe and he may possibly get a ticket. With his back ended down even his headlight are compromised.
The cheapest thing to do is to load the trailer so his tow vehicle sets level, thats the way the car company has it set for proper handling.
The high rear of the trailer will over power the low tongue. This will also be very noticeable in stopping. It is a very unnerving experience to have the jackknife during an emergency stop and turn.
Frank
frankcfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:08 PM   #44

California
Franchesca,
That was a good video you posted.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:41 PM   #45
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankcfx View Post
Franchesca,
That was a good video you posted.
Agree frank. The vid does a excellent job of demonstrating how weight and weight placement affects sway.

Example.... One of my neighbors tow'd a 22' TT for years with a chevy Astro mini van. It worked fine.

He then mounted a rack and two pedal bikes on the back bumper of the trailer. The next time he ventured out it was fine until he accelerated to get up to speed on the QEW highway. A few 100' after reaching 60mph the rig went into a violent sway and he rolled the rig.

They were lucky and no one in the van suffered serious injury. Lesson learned.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:52 PM   #46

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankcfx View Post
I don't think INFO Gypsy (a very appropriate name by the way) gets the message ! What he is doing is very unsafe and he may possibly get a ticket. With his back ended down even his headlight are compromised.
The cheapest thing to do is to load the trailer so his tow vehicle sets level, thats the way the car company has it set for proper handling.
The high rear of the trailer will over power the low tongue. This will also be very noticeable in stopping. It is a very unnerving experience to have the jackknife during an emergency stop and turn.
Frank
NO...NO...NO...

Making the vehicle and trailer level could result in about 100 lbs of hitch weight with a 2000+ lb trailer. A disaster waiting to happen. The op tried that by loading the back of the trailer and got lots of sway

The basic problem here is that no one knows the hitch weight, the probable, but still unknown, weight of the trailer already suggests that correct hitch weight would be over the limit of the tow vehicle, and someone out there doesn't want to know what the real problem is being caused by.

The op's answer to not drive on windy days does nothing to identify or address the problem.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:10 PM   #47

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8781 View Post
While the original post is light on some specs, I am interested to see that nobody has ventured into the sway-bar pros and cons. Let's assume that the TV can handle 2,000 lbs. Let's also assume that the trailer is 1,500 lb's loaded with 150 lbs of tongue weight.
If we need to make assumptions lets try to make them a bit more realistic and assume that the trailer actually weighs closer to 2500lbs possible over when lightly loaded for camping! along with the factual assumptions that the car has a tongue weight spec of only 200lbs and does not a have total tow spec rating to handle the total trailer!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:21 PM   #48

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Here is a pic of a properly connected Subaru. It is utilizing a WDH. Compare this image with your rig's pics. You can easily see how the this Sub and trailer sits perfectly level while yours is not.
Yup its a REAL shame that Subaru clearly states in their vehicles manual that a WDH is NOT to be used!!! When I enquired of Subaru as to why - both at the dealer as well as their National office I was informed it was due to concerns they have with the WDH creating an unsafe handling situation due to the All Wheel drive system they use..... so the OP should make sure they do their homework on that topic as well....
Old 03-27-2014, 05:37 PM   #49

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I agree Carol, to give the benefit of the doubt, I was just going with the minimal factory weight values for a Scamp 16'. if it's over with the lowest possible combination, reality will only exacerbate the problem.

And as far as a WD hitch, I also agree And what happens in Ontario should stay in Ontario (Clever, What?)

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:40 PM   #50

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
It's so easy to weigh the tongue. Bathroom scale and a piece of 2x4 or something else to go from the ball socket down to the scale. Easy peasy. There really is no good reason not to weigh it. Then the owner knows for certain if the tongue weight is appropriate.

Someplace in a wise book it says, "My people perish for lack of knowledge."
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:19 PM   #51

California
You are right Bob I neglected to say that the weight distribution needs to be such that the weight on the TW ball has to be in spec. At that there should not be any great amount of squat.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:27 PM   #52

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
This thread has clearly hit a patch of hyperbole and has skidded off into the ditch
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:28 PM   #53

California
I guess there was too much weight on the ball floyd!!
Old 03-27-2014, 06:32 PM   #54

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post

Someplace in a wise book it says, "My people perish for lack of knowledge."
This situation really saddens me. As prior to the OP purchasing both the new to them trailer and as well as the car last summer the trailer weights in the real world thread was pointed out to them as was the towing limits on the vehicles being consider so the knowledge was there. But as happens all to often here we have a few folks here who continue to encourage folks who are VERY new to towing to go for it regardless either publicly or privately. Sure hope someone here doesn't perish before they stop the practise of encouraging folks to tow over their vehicles manufactures towing specs.

This is a situation where it would be nice if we in NA were to take up the practises of hitch ratings & tug ratings that is used in Europe. The hitch is rated only to the towing specification limits as set by the vehicle manufacture and one can be seriously fined if they attach a trailer over that weight spec to the hitch & tug combo. Simple system that keeps not only the person who is towing safe but also those they are sharing the roads with.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:34 PM   #55

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8781 View Post
While the original post is light on some specs, I am interested to see that nobody has ventured into the sway-bar pros and cons. Let's assume that the TV can handle 2,000 lbs. Let's also assume that the trailer is 1,500 lb's loaded with 150 lbs of tongue weight. Would the sway-bar help? What would be the disadvantages? I ask because I am considering a sway bar with something close to the above scenario.
in your "scenario", a friction anti-sway device would fit more into the category of a luxury accessory. Yes, it will improve your towing experience eventhough it is not necessary in order to tow it safely.
I buy better than stock, when I buy brakes, shocks or tires....and I have a Friction anti-sway device and electric brakes on my 13Scamp.
I like'em!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:29 PM   #56

Name: ginette & ron
Trailer: 2008 25RB 21 Bigfoot
Ontario
We are towing with a Hensley type hitch ( ProPride) , not using the equalizer jacks but instead using the normal chain up system. Have had great success with this system but admit I have not had any other. Sway is just has not been in evidence.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:40 PM   #57
MC1

Ontario
Ron, I understand how well the Pro Pride works and impressed with your setup.

We talked with towing Guru Andy Thomson about selling us and installing a Hensley on our setup but after he test drove our combo he said our car/trailer was so stable that the Reese Dual Cam would be fine.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:04 PM   #58

Registry
I think it can't be repeated often enough that this particular O.P.'s problem is very likely one of improper loading/low tongue-to-total ratio. Unless that's corrected, the sway problem will persist regardless of hitch type used.

Since that point appears to have been lost, I can only finally advise that sway rarely occurs at speeds under about 45mph, so if determined to proceed without addressing the underlying cause, O.P would do well to keep speed at/under that number. (This fact explains why U-haul trailers used to all have stickers on them limiting speed to 45mph- this because U-haul has no control over how folks load trailers).

I'd add that a perfect understanding as to how to use the manual slide knob during sway events is also critically necessary, since with this setup those events are likely inevitable- and regardless of wind conditions.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:07 PM   #59

Registry
At $2345 uninstalled I would sure expect the Pro Pride 3P trailer sway control hitch to work well
Old 03-28-2014, 04:14 PM   #60

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
At $2345 uninstalled I would sure expect the Pro Pride 3P trailer sway control hitch to work well
Here's hopin' they already had it- that puppy'll do a forty foot trailer and up to a couple thousand pounds of tongue weight. WAY more hitch than one would likely buy just to tow a Bigfoot!