Anti-sway Bar - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-28-2014, 04:40 PM   #57
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Ron, I understand how well the Pro Pride works and impressed with your setup.

We talked with towing Guru Andy Thomson about selling us and installing a Hensley on our setup but after he test drove our combo he said our car/trailer was so stable that the Reese Dual Cam would be fine.

Old 03-28-2014, 05:04 PM   #58

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I think it can't be repeated often enough that this particular O.P.'s problem is very likely one of improper loading/low tongue-to-total ratio. Unless that's corrected, the sway problem will persist regardless of hitch type used.

Since that point appears to have been lost, I can only finally advise that sway rarely occurs at speeds under about 45mph, so if determined to proceed without addressing the underlying cause, O.P would do well to keep speed at/under that number. (This fact explains why U-haul trailers used to all have stickers on them limiting speed to 45mph- this because U-haul has no control over how folks load trailers).

I'd add that a perfect understanding as to how to use the manual slide knob during sway events is also critically necessary, since with this setup those events are likely inevitable- and regardless of wind conditions.

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:07 PM   #59

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
At $2345 uninstalled I would sure expect the Pro Pride 3P trailer sway control hitch to work well
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:14 PM   #60

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
At $2345 uninstalled I would sure expect the Pro Pride 3P trailer sway control hitch to work well
Here's hopin' they already had it- that puppy'll do a forty foot trailer and up to a couple thousand pounds of tongue weight. WAY more hitch than one would likely buy just to tow a Bigfoot!
Old 03-28-2014, 05:23 PM   #61

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Here's hopin' they already had it- that puppy'll do a forty foot trailer and up to a couple thousand pounds of tongue weight. WAY more hitch than one would likely buy just to tow a Bigfoot!
While I can see why it would be a great hitch for a Bigfoot 21' I am struggling as to how well it would fix the OP's situation - which comes down to the simple fact their tow vehicle only has a tongue weight spec of 200lbs but a trailer with a total weight of 2500lbs or more loaded.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:23 PM   #62
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
FYI.... Re Pro Pride....there are four models with weight ratings for small to large TT's.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:28 PM   #63

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
While I can see why it would be a great hitch for a Bigfoot 21' I am struggling as to how well it would fix the OP's situation - which comes down to the simple fact their tow vehicle only has a tongue weight spec of 200lbs but a trailer with a total weight of 2500lbs or more loaded.
This not to mention that a Propride itself weighs in the two hundred pound neighborhood. Whatcha gonna do with all that added poundage? Why, transfer it, of course! ...
Old 03-28-2014, 05:49 PM   #64
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
This not to mention that a Propride itself weighs in the two hundred pound neighborhood. Whatcha gonna do with all that added poundage? Why, transfer it, of course! ...
Right on FK.... Being a WDH and installed correctly the 150lb Propride will add only about 30lbs per tire on the rig as a whole.

These vids will help you understand the technical aspects of the Hensley and Propride state of the art connection systems.

Enjoy.......

Old 03-28-2014, 05:59 PM   #65

Registry
I already understand the principles behind W/D, thank you very much anyway. But we're talkin' about a Scamp here, fer cryin' out loud- and on a Subaru Forester! Not that the O.P. seems to be paying any attention any more...as if that'll stop us.

That said: surely I'm not the only person whose funny bone is tickled by the notion that nearly doubling weight at the ball is the best way to begin to manage tongue weight redistribution in that case.

Smaller trailers should use much smaller systems when such a system is called for at all.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:05 PM   #66

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
I already understand the principles behind W/D, thank you very much anyway. But we're talkin' about a Scamp here, fer cryin' out loud- and on a Subaru Forester! Not that the O.P. seems to be paying any attention any more...as if that'll stop us.

That said: surely I'm not the only person whose funny bone is tickled by the notion that nearly doubling weight at the ball is the best way to begin to manage tongue weight redistribution in that case.

Smaller trailers should use much smaller systems when such a system is called for at all.
Agreed, I don't see the need for a WDH on any Scamp.
Now that Airstream is a different story... and a different kind of fiberglass!
Old 03-28-2014, 06:25 PM   #67
MC1

Ontario
Jeesh, not on the same page.

Some of us are talking about Ron's Bigfoot and now we are back to the OP's scamp. The ups and downs/twists and turns of driving the forum freeway....LOL
Old 03-28-2014, 06:38 PM   #68

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
I have to declare "ignorance."
But that lego demo spelled it out for me. haha

Maybe if I had ever seen one before I would
understand it.

But Rednecks don't need no stinkin' stabilizers........

Thanx for the lego vid.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:05 PM   #69

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
FYI.... Re Pro Pride....there are four models with weight ratings for small to large TT's.
Yup but note per the their website the weight rating differences are not reflected in the price by more than a few dollars in difference!

As far as the ups and downs of this topic..... some of us are at least attempting to stick within reason to the reality of the OP's question and concerns with towing their set up.

While others have indicated having an anti sway bar on a trailer/tug set up is a nice additional added security it is not designed or meant to be used as a means of stopping a trailer that is often swaying - no matter how much one pays for it. If an anti sway bar is having to stop sway on a regular bases it may actually cause some damage to the tug, due to the added stress its putting on the vehicle. Nor will an anti sway bar totally stop a big wag!

Best/safest option as others have suggested is for the OP to stow the trailer correctly. In this case even though the OP has not come back with any indication of the factual loaded axle and tongue weights of the trailer I suspect based on what info they have provided that too small of % of weight on the tongue is most probable the cause of the sway. Whether or not the tug has a tongue rating spec that will allow them to put the required amount of weight on the tongue to stabilize the tow without also damaging the rear suspension of their vehicle is part of their issue as is the fact the vehicle manufacture does not recommend the use of a WDH on their vehicles. The use of the WDH on this particular tug may in fact case an equally unsafe towing set up.

Having faced this situation myself with the same trailer and tug brand I don't have an answer for the OP and I know no one else here has ever come up with one when this topic has come up time and time again in regards to the issues of towing a 16' trailer with any Subaru. For had they done so I myself would have loved to have heard about & probable used it!
Old 03-28-2014, 07:27 PM   #70

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Usually peeps get into the problem of a mismatched TV and trailer by accident, they either buy to big a trailer or to small a TV. But, as I understand, the OP bought both at the same time with knowledge of the mismatch.....

What can one say?