Anti-sway Bar - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2014, 12:55 PM   #81
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Not surprised the Subaru's do indeed make very solid tow vehicles when towing trailers with weights within their limits & when the trailer is loaded correctly.
Most importantly he discovered that the Forester towing at 95% of the tow rating produce a better towing experience than the big Blazer towing at 40% of it's tow rating.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:58 PM   #82
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Now, we didn't have jacked up suspension or oversize tires as most full size Blazer owners seem to need when they encounter anything higher than a curb.
Keeping the lift kit and over sized tires off the Blazer is impressive. Kuto's heading out your way.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:12 PM   #83

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
One big reason manufacturers do things...
LAW SUITS.........

Edit: except some recalls........lol

Best thing to do is be ALERT.
I read the traffic coming and going.
The movement of traffic can tell you
many things if you know what to look for.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:21 PM   #84

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
In closing, and I mean that,

we have towed successfully all over the country including being passed many times by high speed trucks without incident.

We use a rear view camera in place of mirrors because it works. I proudly told the OP not to drive in high winds, like a sailor I look for tell tale signs of high winds.

As to a Forestor as a tow vehicle I know nothing. As to towing a trailer I know a lot and have given good advice in that area.

It's too bad that some on this site attempt to transfer their paranoia and trauma about towing to others.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:08 PM   #85

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote: "Carol, Bob wrote about his accident due to a passing high speed truck. I noticed on our way home that I stay well to the right in my lane and that this 'small thing' may help some one, maybe the original poster or even Bob."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Way back, when I took drivers education classes in High school, right after we learned the correct way to hitch the horses, and started on-the-road driving, it was drilled into us to stay in the middle of the traffic lane. Why, it was explained, was to have maximum safe clearance should an unexpected hazard appear on either side of the lane.

And using the rear view mirror/camera doesn't sound like the best way to view your lane position as you are looking at what has already happened, not what is going to happen.

Years after that, while in law enforcement training, one of the tips given to spot impaired drivers was to watch for those that seemed to hug either the left or right side of the lane, which often indicated that they had impaired vision. In fact, unless they were about to pull off the road or make a turn, there was a VC section for a citation for what was usually called "Impaired Driving". While this was usually aimed at drivers with poor vision or reflexes and inexperienced drivers, it also helped me identify an inebriated driver on a number of occasions.

Adding to that, the chances of uneven road edges, damaged and potholed surfaces and debris and rocks at the edges of the road, I can't see that driving in that manner adds one iota to the overall safe driving/towing experience.

I try to stay a middle-of-the-road guy, extreme right anything isn't on my menu.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:26 PM   #86

NE Oklahoma
Guess you haven't driven Oklahoma side roads.........LOL

I drive on the extreme right even without shoulders.
Missing all the pot holes and rippled pavement.

And avoiding those who drive the extreme center
and pulling into my lane.

When spotting drunks, it's usually those who drive excessively
slow around here. Being in the condition once, I can attest to it.
And really drunk drivers vere from one extreme to the other.
And the exception to the rule is the speeding drunks who eventually
wind up in the most extreme side..........LOL
Old 04-02-2014, 05:06 PM   #87

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
If a highway has 3 or more lanes and a lot of on/off ramps I tend to drive in the middle lane. Way too many people tend to not pay attention and all if the sudden realize here is their turnoff and keep cutting me off... so I tend to stay in the middle lane.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:17 PM   #88

NE Oklahoma
I do the same deryk in that situation.
In an unfamiliar area you may not know
if the exit is left or right. A GPS helps with
their turn arrows. Then I will get in the
appropriate lane.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:25 PM   #89

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Ya sure don't want to do that middle lane thing in the Golden State.

Here the speed limit for anything towed is 55MPH and that will be obstructing traffic in anything but the right lane on most highways.

But the ability to be "In the middle" is a good one, just as is staying in the middle of any lane you are using.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:28 PM   #90
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Several excessively sarcastic and downright rude posts have been removed from this thread. Such posts are totally uncalled for. Belittling someone who comes to us for help is so NOT COOL.

Y'all know the drill: if this rude behavior continues, this thread will be closed, and the perpetrators will be put on indefinite review.

Seriously.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:53 PM   #91

New Jersey
Registry
I like having my friction anti sway bar as a help when its really blustery. The first 2 trips down to my buddies house in south jersey I towed my ParkLiner down with my new to me Nissan Frontier and I just had the regular ball. Towed fine didn't even feel it because its weight is less then half my towing capacity. The 3rd trip it was pretty windy, a lot of flat land and the huge american flag was blown straight out...I felt the trailer movin a bit...slowed down from 64 to under 60...tapped the trailer brake button and was fine....put the anti sway bar on goin back and 64 was fine.

Now with my Rav4 which is definatly lighter weight then the Frontier I hit a bridge a few miles shy of the Delaware Memorial and I was down to 35mph and I didn't feel sway, I felt rocking side to side....scary feeling.

Now I am in complete agreement about keeping the tongue weight above 10% (I think I'm getting closer to 15%, I'm sure when this year I add the 2nd 7 gallon water jug in my front bathroom will definitely have my tongue weight over 300lbs)

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 04-03-2014, 02:47 AM   #92

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
I'm going to take a shot in the dark....
1. trailer is heavier than thought.
2. Hitch weight could be lighter than needed.
3. Weight behind axle. "Making the tail wag the dog"
4. Wheel base of T.V. could be issue too.

My reasoning is mine 16 ft. Scamp Deluxe, took possession of in Tn. Towed for 40-50 miles empty no problems. Trip to Ocala Florida was beat up on Interstate by passing large SUVs and the wind. l had to take my Jeeps spare tire off to put in trailer for tongue weight, that helped. I added a weigh distribution/ sway control hitch. I'd guess my Scamp weight to be around 3000-3500 lbs. at least if not more loaded. I sure most of us other than "Honda" underestimate the weight of our trailers. I've made a few trips to Florida with mine and to Savannah and Atlanta Ga. area. no issues with W Distribution / Sway hitch. And especially correct loading of trailer. My choice of trailer was based on my T.V. capability.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:22 AM   #93

New Jersey
Registry
Darrell,

Its entirely possible. I'm going to have to get weighed again...was weighed in around 2700lbs but that was before my 2 batteries got moved to the tongue. The trunk on the back of my ParkLiner honestly has my folded awning, the corner pieces for the awning poles, the awning ropes and stakes...and 2 hoses and a hammer. I'm thinking since I have a pickup truck I could remove the trunk but honestly I would have to start carrying a folding table since I usually use it like a table top when I'm camping for bbq'ing.

I don't think in my case its the box, because when I put it on the first time before I bought the wdh for using with my Rav4 I got sway with and without the box on the back. The Frontier is wider then my Rav4 and a much longer wheelbase and a heavier vehicle.

I guess the OP should consider like I did and go with a larger TV. Yeah I bought my Rav4 when I had my home built teardrop sized trailer. The Rav4 towed the ParkLiner fine but with the soft rear end it really needed the wdh. I towed with it for as year and after much discussion with several owners of Rav4's here and the Rav4 forum and in real life I decided since I thoroughly love camping with my ParkLiner I decided to take the bite and the hit and move up to a larger TV. Yeah I notice my fuel mileage difference not towing (almost 4 miles to the gallon lol) but since honestly, work is 10 miles from home and my ParkLiner comes with me when I go to visit friends since my closest ones are all over an hour away if I'm driving to see them I bring my "mobile home" with me.