Any info on Coleman propane lamp? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2007, 12:25 PM   #1

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
My trailer has a Coleman propane lamp mounted in the dinette/bed area. Does anyone know what kind of mantle this lamp would use, or have any other information about it? I'm going to try to find a model number on it and email Coleman, but I thought someone might know. This is ca 1970.

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 05:43 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
They are all basically the same so just go to Wally-World and purchase a package of Cold-man mantles.

They look like a small flat laundry bag with a tie string on one end. Follow the directions with the bags.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:13 PM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Check when you remove the old one. Some have an opening on each end, with two ties. They pass over and thru the (I haven't a clue what it's called) burner tube.

Most are the bag type tho.. looks like a little sock.

Both are easily available at any camping supply source.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:08 PM   #4

Registry
There is no old mantle, and it looks like a threaded light bulb socket although it is clearly a gas connection. The model number is no longer listed on the Coleman site. There are about 8 different Coleman mantles currently available and none look like this- I did email the company to ask but thought someone else might have one and know.

Bobbie
Old 08-07-2007, 11:24 AM   #5

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
If the Coleman is not like the portable lanterns but more like the Humphrey gas light, you might find some information in the supplier links in another topic: Burro Gas Light, LP Gas light installation.

The Parts & Mantles page at PropaneProducts shows a part called a "burner nose" which appears to screw in; perhaps this is missing from the Coleman lamp?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 04:54 PM   #6

Registry
The problem is that "almost like" does not address an apparent safety consideration. The control cover has the instructions to replace a gasket or seal each time the mantle is replaced "for indoor use." That sounds like something I don't want to mess around with. I'll probably just leave it alone unless I find some definitive information about it.

Bobbie
Old 08-08-2007, 05:38 PM   #7

Trailer: Burro 13 ft 1979
Quote:
The problem is that "almost like" does not address an apparent safety consideration. The control cover has the instructions to replace a gasket or seal each time the mantle is replaced "for indoor use." That sounds like something I don't want to mess around with. I'll probably just leave it alone unless I find some definitive information about it.

Bobbie
I was looking at the page links supplied by others on this thread and found this mantel Propane Products dot com. It looks like it might be a type that screws into a "socket" type thingy.
Dave
Attached Images

Dave Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 05:41 PM   #8

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Gas-Light-Mantles.com says that apparently the Humphrey and Coleman mantles are not interchangeable... but they sell both.

Quote:
There is no old mantle, and it looks like a threaded light bulb socket although it is clearly a gas connection...
I still wonder if a part (the burner nose, like the Humphrey, but not the same part) is missing, and if the gasket is used to seal that screw-in part. Maybe it's worth calling them (see Gas-Light-Mantles contact page) to ask?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 05:44 PM   #9

This page also shows "burner nose for hard mantel" And burner nose for tie on mantle. Take a look at pictures. SOunds like you have a burner nose for a hard mantel.
Dave
Old 08-08-2007, 05:48 PM   #10

Does the light say "Coleman" on it? what numbers does it have on it?
Old 08-08-2007, 09:45 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Does the light say "Coleman" on it? what numbers does it have on it?
It says something like "Made for Coleman." 3815A700 is the number on it.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:48 PM   #12

Registry
I emailed the gas light people, too, with the model number, so maybe they will be more helpful than Coleman.

Bobbie
Old 08-08-2007, 09:53 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
This page also shows "burner nose for hard mantel" And burner nose for tie on mantle. Take a look at pictures. SOunds like you have a burner nose for a hard mantel.
Dave

Coleman said I could use a Number 21 tie on mantle, so a burner nose for tie-on would make more sense, but unless I can find out about the seal that is supposed to be replaced, I don't want to experiment. If it were an outdoor lantern I could try things out, but a mistake here could burn my trailer down. The lamp is mounted to the wall so it is not something I can try out safely outdoors.

Bobbie

Tags
propane