Any pics of larger Scamp 13 bed setup? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2015, 07:20 PM   #1

Name: denny
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 16 layout 3
Michigan
Any pics of larger Scamp 13 bed setup?

Love the Scamp 16 but can not believe the factory has not figured out how to give 2 people a reasonable size bed!!!!! They figured it out for the 13 but not the 16. How crazy is that!!!! The weight of the 16 is getting close to the capacity of my 3.6L dodge minivan so I do not want the additional weight of the Deluxe 16 which has the larger bed. Everyone I talk to agrees this is crazy. Anyway, I am going to give up on Scamps unless I think I can get by with the 13 - though I love the 16. Does anyone have pics of how the 13 larger bed functions? What does the closet look like? Does the counter stick over the bed a tad like in the Deluxe 16? etc. When will the factory ever listen to the many people that I have heard utter this same complaint??????? Is there anyway to widen the bed on just one side, which is all I need??? Hate to give up on my ideal trailer for just 10 extra inches of bed!!!
denny w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:22 PM   #2

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Pix of my Scamp13 with the 54" bed can be found in some of the later segments of this thread:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=65096

I wish Scamp would do a Scamp 16 Std Layout 4 (side bath/storage) with the 54" bed.

For additional money, you can get the 54" bed in the Scamp16 Deluxe models. Some folks claim that the Deluxe models shouldn't weigh that much more because of the wood: they claim it is because of the extra optional equipment that comes with the Deluxe.

If you could delete the extras ...... ?

Ray

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:02 AM   #3

Name: Pete
Trailer: 17' Casita SD
Wisconsin
I have a Scamp 13' and I put some supports on the closet and on the other side by the sink, cut a piece of plywood and can now sleep with feet facing front of camper, it's almost like a king and can still use the bathroom when the bed is made up.
yyyyyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:15 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Pete,

I have thought about doing something similar. Do you have any pics of yours with the bed in place? Another thing, each one of us could get up without having to crawl over each other! That happened to us this weekend

They WILL listen to customers sometimes but I do not understand why it takes them so long to finally come around--- ala the DOOR SEAL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyyyyguy View Post
I have a Scamp 13' and I put some supports on the closet and on the other side by the sink, cut a piece of plywood and can now sleep with feet facing front of camper, it's almost like a king and can still use the bathroom when the bed is made up.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:30 AM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post

They WILL listen to customers sometimes but I do not understand why it takes them so long to finally come around--- .
News Flash. Scamp is not the only trailer manufacture that does not hear the bed size complaints.

For example one needs to pay thousands of dollars more and go all the way up to a 22' or longer Airstream to get a bed wider than 48".
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:01 PM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry

A Google site search on "Scamp bed extension" would likely turn up some old posts. I know Floyd has posted photos of his mod more than once.

As regards bed sizes in general, I think part of the problem is that big beds don't generate sales, especially if it means sacrifices in the galley and other features likely to get noticed in RV shows, showrooms, and sales brochures. First impressions matter, and inexperienced buyers often expect an RV to look like a miniature house. Potential buyers viewing a small Airstream, for example, might feel they weren't getting their money's worth if most of the space were taken up with a large bed.

Experienced users of small RVs often come to realize you spend more time inside the trailer sleeping than any other activity.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 02:44 PM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Here's the 54" bed in our Scamp13D....
Go ahead and buy the 16 Deluxe. Buy the options you want with weight in mind if you choose. But the talk of the weight difference is highly exaggerated, to the point of nearing urban myth territory.
Even the cost difference is mitigated to some extent when options are considered.
Your mini van should tow it just fine if the tow rating is as listed at 3600 pounds.
Loaded within common sense guidelines you could easily have more than a thousand pounds of margin. That van is one of the more popular TVs for 16 Scamps.
Attached Thumbnails
Eggy-Sue inside 004.jpg   Eggy-Sue inside 006.jpg  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 03:53 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyyyyguy View Post
Sorta like this...
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0090.JPG  
Old 10-06-2015, 06:38 AM   #9

Name: denny
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 16 layout 3
Michigan
scamp13 with bigger bed info/pics needed

No one has yet given me measurements and/or pics of how the bigger bed works in a scamp 13. Would like to see before I give up on scamps. The 16 deluxe is too heavy for my tow (I'd buy it if in a standard) and fear the 13 with bigger bed might just end up perhaps without enough leftover closet/storage, sink-stove, etc. room. Please if you can give me concrete info or pics I'd be in your debt. One gripe I have is that these companies do not include detailed specs of the insides of their trailers (just "not to scale" drawings) Even a reasonable website with sufficient pictures to get a clear view would be sufficient. Isn't that crazy in this online world???????? It would cost these companies virtually nothing to do!!! Yet they claim to be consumer friendly little companies.
denny w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:58 AM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Post #2 above links to a thread with pictures of a Scamp 13 with the larger bed option. Post #31 in the linked thread has good shots of the smaller galley and closet.

I do agree that Scamp could use more pictures on their website. They took down all the old galleries after they switched from light oak to cherry cabinet doors last year, and they've been really slow to complete new galleries of each layout. Part of the problem may be that some layouts don't get built too often.

In any case, pictures aren't the best way to evaluate a particular layout. You might post a request to look at a Scamp 13 with the larger bed (with or without a bath?) and give your general location. There might be a nearby forum member willing to show you theirs.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:33 AM   #11

Missouri
If my pix didn't show enough, TomK posted similar pix of his trailer with the new cherrywood interior.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=65761

Ray

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 10-06-2015, 08:04 AM   #12

Missouri

BTW -

Last weekend, you could have seen Tom's trailer and mine on adjacent sites at the LBL rally.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=67720

IIRC, there were about 54 trailers there in many brands and sizes ... Scamps, Casitas, Escapes, EggCampers, Burrows, a Bigfoot, and an Alto.

There were several couples, who are/were currently shopping, who drove at least a couple of hours to attend the "open house" and actually look inside lots of trailers.

I would really suggest that you try to attend a rally and look at lots of possibilities.

BTW - After 2 years and many trips, we really like the larger 54" bed in our Scamp 13.
For a couple of nights, we actually slept 5 (myself + DW + 3 grandkids) in our Scamp13.
We couldn't have done that in most current 16 foot trailer layouts. When Scamp decides
to offer a Scamp16 Layout4 with the 54" bed, we might be tempted. Right now, we are
happy with our big bed Scamp13 and are getting about 23 mpg towing with our 2014 Ford
Escape 2.0L Ecoboost FWD at about 60 mph. We know that we probably couldn't get that
kind of fuel economy towing a 16/17 foot trailer.

Ray

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 10-06-2015, 03:05 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by denny w View Post
No one has yet given me measurements and/or pics of how the bigger bed works in a scamp 13. Would like to see before I give up on scamps. The 16 deluxe is too heavy for my tow (I'd buy it if in a standard) and fear the 13 with bigger bed might just end up perhaps without enough leftover closet/storage, sink-stove, etc. room. Please if you can give me concrete info or pics I'd be in your debt. One gripe I have is that these companies do not include detailed specs of the insides of their trailers (just "not to scale" drawings) Even a reasonable website with sufficient pictures to get a clear view would be sufficient. Isn't that crazy in this online world???????? It would cost these companies virtually nothing to do!!! Yet they claim to be consumer friendly little companies.
Post #7 shows pictures of the 54" wide bed in a 13. below are a couple of pictures from the Scamp website showing both the big and small bed there are videos as well as the gallery and more pictures here...

http://www.scamptrailers.com/showroo...ard_Layout1_06

I guess all beds work about the same

Old 10-06-2015, 03:20 PM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Well here you go Denny. This discussion surfaces quite often. So for another potential user, I decided to do an "accurate" measurement of my bed. For the wife and I, it's not a real comfortable situation. As you will see, regardless what they tell you the bed size is, where it counts the most to me (at the shoulder area), it's only 44" in the older version of the "Standard" layout. The "Deluxe" (wood) and the other option now has a 54" bed. 10" is ALOT of difference between the shoulders!! I would opt for that if cabinet space is not a real issue.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/503516...posted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/503516...posted-public/

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny w View Post
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:32 PM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
News Flash. Scamp is not the only trailer manufacture that does not hear the bed size complaints.

For example one needs to pay thousands of dollars more and go all the way up to a 22' or longer Airstream to get a bed wider than 48".
Ahhhh a 19' Escape has a queen bed and the 16' or 17' Casita Liberty can be configured to a king.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:10 PM   #16

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
My "2 cents worth"...
While we have owned a 13' Scamp purchased new in 2011 we only recently changed our sleeping positions to the "head to foot" position commonly used in small backpacking tents. Much to our surprise it is very comfortable for both of us, allows me (the one who sleeps at the far back wall) to get up in the middle of the night in relative comfort, results in better shoulder room AND foot room and we have no "foot in face" issues. It is easy to "get cozy" when we want to. We use regular comforters and regular pillows. Up to our decision to change positions we had considered adding a foot space in the aisle. I do think this would take up too much room in the Scamp especially when we need to use the porta-pottie at night.

I notice when people on this forum speak of bed sizes they rarely mention the size of the people involved. We are of average height, he 5'9" and she at 5'3", and weight.

If you have a twin bed you could conduct your own sleeping experience at home.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 11:38 PM   #17

Name: Lea
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Picture please!
Queenieleann is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp