Any reason to go to 2" hitch - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2012, 10:18 PM   #21

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
It "grips" your butt?
Left out the "e" I fixed it.Thanks for pointing that out I was in a tissy.....
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:43 PM   #22

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
Roger,
Nice duct tape work! My brother sent me some wildly pink "Hello Kitty" duct tape when he found out I bought my Burro - '82 cracked egg.
Sue
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:52 PM   #23

Name: Logan
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13'
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bishop View Post
I've never understood why they still put 1 7/8" ball on anything anymore..In my opion they should phase them out....Why not make everything with 2" ball then you never worry about which ball you need..
It would be even easier if we got rid of hitch balls altogether. Pintles and lunette rings are so much easier.
841K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:28 AM   #24

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Most of the 13ft trailers which I have towed have 1-7/8" hitches.
The car trailer and dolly and most of the box trailers I have towed have 2".
Amongst them are are several different heights when level.

I have a cabinet full of draw bars with different heights and hitch ball sizes. I see no difference in safety as long as you buy the good quality and use the right drawbar and ball. The shank size is the same on every one of them in my cabinet, although the buyer should be aware that the 1-7/8" Ball can be bought with a smaller shank which would have less strength even with a spacer.
Overall, with a 2" receiver, the hitch height is more important than which size matched ball/hitch set is used.The shank size being the only salient issue.

As for a pintle hitch, the disadvantages are obvious for RV use, though they are great for moving equipment around a jobsite.

So the answer is... There is really no reason to switch to a 2" hitch on a trailer which was appropriately fitted with an 1-7/8" hitch to begin with.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:35 PM   #25

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post

As for a pintle hitch, the disadvantages are obvious for RV use, though they are great for moving equipment around a jobsite.
I was just having fun.

I have trailers/equipment with the 1 7/8", 2", lunette/pintle, gooseneck and clevis hitches. They each have their purpose and each has its problems.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:41 PM   #26

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 841K9 View Post
I was just having fun.

I have trailers/equipment with the 1 7/8", 2", lunette/pintle, gooseneck and clevis hitches. They each have their purpose and each has its problems.

I still see "NO PURPOSE" for the 1 7/8" ball...... the 2" will do everything the 1 7/8 ball will do without the hassel of having to have 2 separate hitches......
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:48 PM   #27

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
The original poster doesnt need or use 2 separate hitches thus as others indicated no real advantage or need/reason to change it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:42 PM   #28

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
The original poster doesnt need or use 2 separate hitches thus as others indicated no real advantage or need/reason to change it.
Since the original post was from several years ago, they probably have already made their decision. It sounded like the coupler was worn out, rusted etc. and needed changing to something new.

That said, I agree with the posters that have stated a 2" ball is a good choice for an upgrade to the 1 7/8" ball.

I was recently faced with the same decision on my EGG. The original 1 7/8" receiver was bent, rusted and basically worn out.

For me, it is the convenience or having only one ball setup on a receiver that fits the many trailers I own, all with 2" balls. I only have one TV and can't tow two trailers at the same time.

Also, I could use an A-Frame style jack which I really like, instead of the original side-frame jack which was also trashed and needing replacement, which I really dislike.

IMHO....If you have to replace, go with a 2" coupler.

Spanke
Old 05-01-2012, 09:04 PM   #29

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
I still see "NO PURPOSE" for the 1 7/8" ball...... the 2" will do everything the 1 7/8 ball will do without the hassel of having to have 2 separate hitches......
Ya just can't change 'em all! I would still need at least 4 drawbars for my Ranger to get the right tow height for a variety of trailers... not to mention the rare occassion I need a 2-5/16" ball.
Then there's the Escape... so maybe one more.
Of course I guess I could just buy one of these... It even has a 2" and a 1-7/8" ball...
Attached Images

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:09 PM   #30

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanke View Post
Since the original post was from several years ago, they probably have already made their decision. Spanke
LOL I suspect your correct.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:04 PM   #31

Wisconsin
Quote:
I still see "NO PURPOSE" for the 1 7/8" ball...... the 2" will do everything the 1 7/8 ball will do without the hassle of having to have 2 separate hitches......
Swapping out the shank in my hitch is far easier than changing all of my equipment over to one size.

I have one adjustable height shank with a pintle/2" ball, one regular drop with a 1 7/8" ball, a 2 5/16" insert and one clevis hitch.

It all fits neatly in the small toolbox (Along with a few select tools and spare parts)in the back of my truck(s).

If the hitch were damaged, I would probably replace it with a 2" unless I had something else handy.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:16 AM   #32

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
depends on you. that hitch will work just fine. if you tow other trailers that have 2 inch ball you may have to switch back and forth
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:35 PM   #33

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
I started this post and it looks like people are wondering what I ended up doing. When I was restoring the trailer and had it to the frame, I brought it in to have another axle installed. While having that done, I had them torch off the existing broke and rusted coupler and install a Bulldog 2" coupler. This has worked out fantastic, as it has a round collar that will only slip up to the front coupler if everything is hooked up correctly. I alway hit the road knowing that the hitch is set up right and can't come loose.