Any reason to go to 2" hitch - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2009, 12:56 PM   #1

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
I've noticed a few people, when restoring their frame; have gone to a 2" receiver. What are some reasons that you would want to do this? I'm bringing my frame into a welder for a new axle and other fixes and considering this. My original 1 7/8" receiver is badly rusted but still working. The locking mechanism has a real problem loosing up to go over the ball, and the spring needs replacing. I may be able to take it apart and fix it, but I'm trying to get all the information I can on a 2" first.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:28 PM   #2

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
My Scamp 16 came with a 2 inch hitch. I changed the coupler on my 1/2 ton utility trailer to a 2 inch one so I don't have to change hitch balls every time I want to use the 'other' trailer.

If you are rebuilding your frame, I'd go with the stronger 2 inch coupler for the added margin of safety.

-- Dan Meyer

Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:47 AM   #3

Trailer: 1972 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
I've noticed a few people, when restoring their frame; have gone to a 2" receiver. What are some reasons that you would want to do this? I'm bringing my frame into a welder for a new axle and other fixes and considering this. My original 1 7/8" receiver is badly rusted but still working. The locking mechanism has a real problem loosing up to go over the ball, and the spring needs replacing. I may be able to take it apart and fix it, but I'm trying to get all the information I can on a 2" first.
Hey Danny

I changed my coupler from 1 7/8" to 2" for the extra security as well (new one also had the tounge lock hole which the old one did not), I think it was bent as well. And being a 1972 Trillium I figured it would have some wear as well after 37 years. As well my Boat and ATV trailers have 2" couplers (this allowed me to avoid changing up and down from 2" to 1 7/8" ball). I figured while I was bringing it to the welders anyway I'd have them beef up the tounge with an added crossmember, new lift (old one was tierd and bent handle, foot only/new one has wheel and foot option), safety chains (and houlder rings), Plug holder/protector (love it), coupler lock and fish plates added to strenghten the frame. Here's a before and after pic for ya.

Cheers Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0718.JPG   IMG_1040.JPG  

Jeff Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:10 AM   #4

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Danny, I also changed from a 1 7/8" to a 2" ball AND coupler. Our old 1 7/8" coupler had let me down for the last time, and we decided that if it needed fixin', its probably goin to be better/safer to upgrade. I feel its always best to air on the side of safety instead of tryin to save MONEY, LOL!!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:50 AM   #5

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Thanks for the replies, it looks like I'm going to do it. Jeff, I can't quit make out what your plug/holder protector looks like. What make is it and where did you get it?
Old 10-07-2009, 12:07 PM   #6

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
I highly recommend if you are going to change out the coupler that you consider going with a Bulldog 2".
The change in towing performance and positive attachment is very noticeable since I had this switched 1.5 years ago.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:26 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17 ft
Registry
I'd second the recommendation for the Bulldog if you are going to replace your coupler.
The price difference when I replaced ours was ~$40.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Thanks for the replies, it looks like I'm going to do it. Jeff, I can't quit make out what your plug/holder protector looks like. What make is it and where did you get it?
Hey Danny

The plug holder keeps the terminals nice and dry (no corrosion) and nicely stored (as apposed to rapped around the tounge). I made an aluminum mounting bracket for it and used SS hardware. Make is PlugGaurd and I got it from Vos Trailers in Stittsville Ontario Canada http://www.vostrailers.ca/about.htm . I have seen it on line as well though http://plugguardstore.com/ .

Here's some more pics.

Cheers Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1059.JPG   IMG_1062.JPG  

Old 10-07-2009, 01:25 PM   #9

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
I would be more concerned about shank diameter the ball size.
You will never break the hitch ball . But you could break off the shank, at the ball.

1 7/8" Ball comes with a 3/4' or a 1" shank diameter. Go with the 1".

2" ball comes with a 1" or 1 1/4" shank diameter. Go with the 1 1/4"
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:40 PM   #10

Quote:
I would be more concerned about shank diameter the ball size.
You will never break the hitch ball . But you could break off the shank, at the ball.

1 7/8" Ball comes with a 3/4' or a 1" shank diameter. Go with the 1".

2" ball comes with a 1" or 1 1/4" shank diameter. Go with the 1 1/4"
I went with a stainless steel 1" shank 2" Ball. As the SS has a 6000lb rating as appose to a 5000lb rating on a chromed 1" shank 2" Ball.

Cheers Jeff
Old 10-07-2009, 04:22 PM   #11

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Jeff,

That's a nice, tidy looking job. I wish I had your welding place nearby!

Edited to say: I had asked if you could comment on the rearward location of your safety chains, but now I realize those are hooks upon which you stow the TV ends of the chains when you're not hitched up. Clever!

Thanks for posting the info and photos

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:04 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
I see no reason for changing anything in my hitch set up. It works just fine:
Attached Thumbnails
Creative_hitch_repair.jpg  

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:27 PM   #13

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Hey Roger looks like ya ran outta the good stuff Duck Tape lol.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:45 AM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
The license plate explains it all. LOL

Bill K
Toledo,[b]OHIO

Quote:
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:50 PM   #16

Trailer: 73 Boler
Quote:

Works for me, I just don't see using a good set of vise grips.
K Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:19 PM   #17

Quote:
Jeff,

That's a nice, tidy looking job. I wish I had your welding place nearby!

Edited to say: I had asked if you could comment on the rearward location of your safety chains, but now I realize those are hooks upon which you stow the TV ends of the chains when you're not hitched up. Clever!

Thanks for posting the info and photos

Raya
Hey Ray

Thanks. I stumbled apon my welder here, while trying to find someone who does aluminum welds (refered by my local RV repair Center contact). As I wanted the live well hole aluminum double plate welded (on my Full Weld Modified V Crestliner Jon boat/Mossy Oak Shadow Grass Finish). Because My son and I were out duck hunting a couple years back and the livewell nut backed off while driving through the Rice/reeds. And nearly sunk us in the middle of Nov. (subzero temps). We barely made it to shore (glad we hade our rubber boots on as the water was over the sub floor and half way up our shins). Livewell is now storage compartment. Better keeping our lives than having a livewell I figured. Anyway these guys (Davtair Industries Inc.) do work mostly for the Milatary and RCMP. Very picky, which works for me. You name it they weld it (palstics/metals etc.). If your in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada or surrounding area, look them up for your welding Needs. Ask for Brian the shop manager (tell him I sent you/great guy).

Here's a pic, I know it's not an RV but someone might enjoy it (It is trailerable though lol).

Cheers Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
IM000038.JPG  
Old 04-27-2012, 02:34 PM   #18

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
Yep license plate does say it all. Here in Mich. it ain't broke till we can't fix it.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:00 PM   #19

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
I absolutely hate the 1 7/8" ball and will never own something that has one on it...I've never understood why they still put 1 7/8" ball on anything anymore..In my opion they should phase them out....Why not make everything with 2" ball then you never worry about which ball you need..I've got 6 Trilliums and I've cut the hitch off everyone of them the very first thing and install a 2" hitch because that's what my Duckboat, Pontoon boat, and both utility trailers takes .....It just can't cost the manufactor that much difference to use a 2" hitch in lieu of a 1 7/8" hitch..When I went to buy a trailer for me and my son to haul our 4 wheeler's on I would ask the salesman what ball the trailer used if the salesman said 1 7/8" I told him no thanks and walk out ..I'll step off my soap box now and sorry for the RANT but it grips my butt.....
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:09 PM   #20

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
It "grips" your butt?
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote