Any Scamps 13 in Montreal area? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2013, 09:13 PM   #41

Name: Mitchell
Trailer: Shopping
Ontario
If you are that far from border

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tighe View Post
I think thanks to you all I am now up to speed about importing formalities. My problem now is towing it without plates to the Canadian border at say Sault-Ste-Marie and then across Ontario and through a bit of Québec. Québec does not seem to issue plates until all documentation is completed and tells me I will have to leave it in the parking lot at the border (about 1500km from Québec!). Ontario seems to have a temporary plate system but not for non-residents. Minnesota (God bless them) do not seem to require plates for very light trailers. So now what?

Is it in fact illegal to tow an unplated trailer across a province or state one is not a resident of. Can one explain ones' predicament to the policeman and plead for mercy (it seems a faint hope)?. Or pay a fine per province or state? Under say 50$ would be a reasonable fine to pay if it ensures temporary iimmunity. Where does one find out the scale of fines?

What do any remaining readers think?
If it where possible for you to tow closer to QC then I might look at going near NY border as close as to you home as possible. About where is your home?
RETIRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:15 PM   #42

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by RETIRED View Post
I travel with 10 imp gallons (45.5 liters) extra in gas cans because gas is cheap in the USA. I sent the CBSA E-Mail about the max amount of gas I can bring over and I carry this letter in my van.
Gas here is about a buck a litre. If it were free in the U.S. I wouldn't drive an extended distance with gasoline in the interior of my van to save $45.

Of course I bring a container of gas from the nearest station to the house in my van, for my lawn mower. That's a few minutes of risk exposure, without my family or pets in the van.

Today, GasBuddy says the price here is C$1.14/L here and US$3.80/USgal (US$1.00/L; C$1.03/L) in Montana (the nearest state). That's a $5 savings... no where near worth it.

I have travelled between B.C. and Alberta quite few times in last few years. I do schedule gas stops to take advantage of regional price variations (which are as great as the Alberta-Montana difference)... within reason. That certainly doesn't mean using portable containers, especially in the interior of a vehicle.

Of course, none of this gas stuff has anything to do with importing a trailer...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:29 PM   #43

Ontario
Hard core when it comes to gas prices

Well gas in Montana and Alberta is the lowest price. I live in Toronto. When gas goes 3 cents lower a liter there are hoards of a lineup at gas station. Today gas is $1.20 liter lowest in the last 6 months or so. In MI or NY it is usually $93 to 96 cents a liter today, I always go over border with 1/4 tank when traveling And bring over 45 liters extra with a full tank too. At 45 plus 65 liters in my tank (I have a 95 liter tank in my minivan) I save $26. In Quebec, Montreal it is $1.28 a liter (ouch).

For me it is sort of personal....screw the oil companies and local government on gas taxes. But I do not go out of my way to get gas, that defeats savings.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:34 PM   #44

Ontario
You must live in....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briantb View Post
lol too bad we are in NW Ontario.. only six hours to Backus.. the build time for orders for new Scamps is July and for Casita May.

You must live near Thunder Bay and its 60 min to US border for you.
LUCKY YOU.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:09 AM   #45

Ontario
Something interesting...importing into Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tighe View Post
@Briantb: thank you for your very useful step by step description. Re inspection I meant that of the Quebec licence bureau. The one at Canadian tyre I know about. The RIV bureau in To told me that US customs had to issue a permit to allow export, making no distinction between trailers and motorised vehicles. They could of course be wrong so I will double check with US.
Quebec said that I could go straight to a licence bureau to get plates and then go back to pick it up. You seem to say that permanent plates cannot be issued until I have totally cleared the RIV process, but I can get temporary plates in Québec. Is this so? You really seem to know more about it than the people at the licence bureau.
My research into state practises showed that Minnesota do not require plates but Michigan and NY do. None mention transit or temporary plates. Ontario says it has something but the website provide no details. I have written to them.

Let me have details on your Scamp 13 like price, equipment etc. If you decide to sell.So far I rather like the challenge of importing one. I imported an Eriba Puck from Switzerland to France some 12 years ago. A tour de force on which I have dined out ever since. If you would like a step-by-step account similar to yours I could write a book on it
Just seen this, it is interesting. Its about border crossings all near Thunder bay area, don't know about Sault Ste. Marie.

When you do a border crossing in a remote area you need an extra permit for yourself (not the trailer). See 'RABC PERMIT" on the web/CBSA. You pay for permit and you need to submit documents before you get permit ahead of time. It allows you to cross over without going through an inspection/inspector/guard provided you declare, I guess in writing/voice what you bought.

Very insteresting
Old 04-21-2013, 11:53 AM   #46

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Sault Ste. Marie border crossing

We have never had a problem going into Canada. Beware coming into the US on an empty gas tank. We were backed up on that bridge for about 1 1/2 hours. We thought we were going to have to coast to the gas station on the US side.

I wasn't happy with the empty tank, and I wasn't real comfortable up on that bridge so long. Have to say it was a very nice day, the bridge looks good, and the view was nice!

You will not have problems with your in transit papers through the US states. I would not be concerned about that at all.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:48 PM   #47

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
Retired.. you are complicating a very simple process.. use your transit permit issued by the State of Minnesota good anywhere in North America .. Scamp is very happy to charge you the $10 and drive the trailer to the border crossing of your choice to Ontario. At the border you will pay GST only. CBSA will fill in and transmit the paperwork to RIV. You will receive an email from RIV with your case file number. You will have to go online and pay the RIV fee.. then you will receive the inspection form to take to Canadian Tire for your inspection. Proceed from your inspection to the Service Ontario office and register your trailer, pay the pst and either purchase new plates or transfer existing trailer plates.

I did it last year at the Pigeon River crossing thirty minutes south of Thunder Bay - cleared the border at 1PM ish and was inspected and licensed by 4PM that afternoon. You will receive a sticker for your trailer in the mail in about a week. Depending on your border crossing, how busy RIV is that day and Canadian Tire your results may vary. Pigeon River crossing is not normally busy on a weekday and no appointments are necessary for the inspection at Canadian Tire. Coincidently there is a Gas station located right at the border as well as a duty free shop.

or the alternative.. we have our 2012 Scamp 13 front washroom for sale already imported with the nice RIV sticker on it.
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:36 PM   #48

Ontario
Let me know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briantb View Post
Retired.. you are complicating a very simple process.. use your transit permit issued by the State of Minnesota good anywhere in North America .. Scamp is very happy to charge you the $10 and drive the trailer to the border crossing of your choice to Ontario. At the border you will pay GST only. CBSA will fill in and transmit the paperwork to RIV. You will receive an email from RIV with your case file number. You will have to go online and pay the RIV fee.. then you will receive the inspection form to take to Canadian Tire for your inspection. Proceed from your inspection to the Service Ontario office and register your trailer, pay the pst and either purchase new plates or transfer existing trailer plates.

I did it last year at the Pigeon River crossing thirty minutes south of Thunder Bay - cleared the border at 1PM ish and was inspected and licensed by 4PM that afternoon. You will receive a sticker for your trailer in the mail in about a week. Depending on your border crossing, how busy RIV is that day and Canadian Tire your results may vary. Pigeon River crossing is not normally busy on a weekday and no appointments are necessary for the inspection at Canadian Tire. Coincidently there is a Gas station located right at the border as well as a duty free shop.

or the alternative.. we have our 2012 Scamp 13 front washroom for sale already imported with the nice RIV sticker on it.
I understand what and where you crossed over into Ontario.

If you don't mind. Let me know what you paid for it and how much you want for it and roughly where you located. Private message me.

I still have issues with my garage (bylaws prevent me leaving it on the drive way). I can put it in a garage to avoid bylaws. But in no way I can even part a 9 meter length in by driveway at any time and in a garage it is not allowed. (big city bylaw...Toronto) . I know a Scam is much less than 9 meters.

It looks like I will get one custom made options next year.

Thank You