Any Scamps 13 in Montreal area? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2013, 08:56 AM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: Eriba Puck
Quebec
Any Scamps 13 in Montreal area?

Before buying one we would would like to be able to look at the inside. Are there any members within say 50km of Montreal who have one who would allow us to have a look?

A second question if it is allowed on the same thread: if we buy one in Minesota we would have to tow it without plates across the Northern US to get to the Québec border. What would be the likely attitude of police? (It would be insured)
David Tighe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:56 AM   #2

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
I suggest you also consider looking at bolers too. They have the same shape and layout. This increases the number of possible trailers to look at.

In Ontario (and other places) you can buy a 10 day permit for cars. I'm not sure what the rules are for trailers, but this is something worth looking in to. I wouldn't dare try a long distance drive with a trailer without plates. If you make it to the boarder without getting busted, you are sure to get into trouble at the boarder itself.
glamourpets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:29 AM   #3

Quebec
Interesting about Ontario and I will look into it. I dont think I would have trouble with US/Canadian customs but will check. I will have to leave it once cleared and go to the nearest town in Québec to carry out the plating. Minnesota incidentally does not require plates under about 1400lbs but there is still Michigan and NY State who do.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:16 PM   #4

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
David,

Keep in mind that the new 13 foot Scamps have a lot more head room than the older ones, or the Bolers. I think they also have a 2 inch ball and center front stabilizer. Our's has the swing on the side type.

We are both short and are very happy with our 05 short one. Tall people would be happy for more head room.

I think there is no problem with an "in transit" and bill of sale in your pocket til you get home.

Go to a gathering to see one?

David, I sent you a private message.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:33 PM   #5

Quebec
Nancy: what is an "in transit" ? I would have a bill of sale plus docs for Canadian customs. Re driving in Québec, no problem with road signage except some incoherences. Lack of French is no problem at campsites nor anywhere else really. Driving is a bit aggressive around cities, but no worse than the eastern US
Old 03-29-2013, 06:01 PM   #6

David,

In transit was just the term that came to me. There will be no problem in the States that I can see. Scamp should be able to answer that question better.

Also ask them how the sales tax works. People out of state??? In MN Scamp took care of everything for us, plates, taxes, etc. You need to ask them those questions.

You might want to start new questions under new thread. It could be some people pass this one as it asked about seeing a trailer in Montreal.

We don't drive in our eastern states. We even avoid going around Chicago!

Did you check the rally section? Not sure if any Scamps attend up your way. Wish I could be more help.

Quebec meet isn't until September and I would guess the Grafton, ON gathering the end of May is too far away.

Nancy
Old 03-29-2013, 06:39 PM   #7

David,

What if we went from Lachute to Joliette north of Montreal? Would that ease my fear of traffic? Or, does one want to avoid those roads? Speed is not an issue for us, going slower is what we desire. So if folks go fast there they would not appreciate our slower driving.

Nancy
Old 03-29-2013, 07:14 PM   #8

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
The transit paper you get from Scamp will be good in the USA. It is good in Ontario as well, not sure about Quebec. You do not pay Minnesota taxes.
When you cross the border you pay the GST. CBSA will fax RIV the import form. You then need to go online and pay your RIV fee - once they have their $200 you will receive your import inspection form which you take to the inspection place - most of Canada it is Canadian Tire. They do the inspection, stamp your form. Then you can get it licenced in Quebec and pay your Quebec sales tax. In about a week you will receive a sticker from RIV to put on your trailer to show it has been properly imported.
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:03 PM   #9

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tighe View Post
what is an "in transit" ?
An "in transit permit" or "temporary permit" is a substitute for a normal vehicle license, used for a vehicle which needs temporary registration while it travels somewhere. This is perfect example of appropriate use, since it would make no sense to register the trailer in the state where it is manufactured, and it would not likely be possible to register it in the destination jurisdiction before importing it.

Minnestota:
Quote:
A 31-day temporary permit is issued to non-residents to allow them to remove the vehicle from Minnesota to their state of residence. This non-renewable permit is issued to all classes of vehicles and can be obtained at any deputy registrar office.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:47 AM   #10

Quebec
Thank you for all those replies. @Briantb: The Quebec tax people say that no inspection necessary if under 900kg but I have to leave it at the border and go and get plates at the nearest tax office. I believe also that the customs collect the Quebec tax. Thank you
@ Nancy: no one goes much over the speed limit here. There are cops. They just get impatient more easily. We welcome tourists and your US plates will give you diplomatic immunity. Ignore them. If you want to avoid Montreal go on the north side as you say or alternatively south on the south shore of the St Lawrence
Old 03-30-2013, 07:53 AM   #11

New Brunswick
You still need to legally import the vehicle into Canada which is the RIV process
Old 03-30-2013, 01:48 PM   #12

Name: Frederic
Trailer: U-Haul ct-13
Quebec
I have a 1986 Uhaul ct13 that is fully restore with many upgrade. Not on the market yet but considering selling it. I am in Mt-Tremblant!

Fred
theman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:11 PM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
There are Scamps north of the US border and not all of them were purchased used. I would think a phone call to Scamp would be in order. I know Escape Industries has sent enough trailers south of the border they absolutely know what's needed. I'd think Eveland's (Scamp) would have the same knowledge.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:20 PM   #14

New Brunswick
just bought our Scamp last year and imported to Canada. Third trailer we have bought in the USA and imported to Canada.. ask away
Old 03-30-2013, 10:28 PM   #15

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I know Escape Industries has sent enough trailers south of the border they absolutely know what's needed. I'd think Eveland's (Scamp) would have the same knowledge.
A reasonable guess, but I wouldn't count on it. I don't know about Scamp, but when I checked with Casita their version of selling to Canada would be to deliver just on the U.S. side of my chosen border crossing, leaving me to import it myself, with a CSA instead of RVIA sticker being the only accommodation to the destination. Eveland's is closer to Canada, but Scamps are very rare here, so I don't think they sell to Canadians routinely. Escape, in contrast, routinely sells to U.S. customers. The relative populations of the two countries make this difference almost inevitable.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:48 AM   #16

Quebec
Since there seem to be no Scamps in the Montreal area I wonder are there any Trilliums? As far as I can judge they are very similar and a lokk at one would probably be useful
Old 04-09-2013, 08:57 AM   #17

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Since there seem to be no Scamps in the Montreal area I wonder are there any Trilliums? As far as I can judge they are very similar and a lokk at one would probably be useful
Trillium had a new trailer at the Toronto RV show. Maybe an RV show would line up with your travel plans. The dealer representing Trillium might also have one on their sales floor to look at. This is something to investigate in your area.

Derek
glamourpets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:00 PM   #18

An old Boler would be more like a Scamp. It would of course be much older, the frame would not be as heavy duty, and it would not have as much headroom. the length, width, and shape would be very similar.

If we go to the NS gathering in July I'll try to remember to notify you if we brave it past Montreal.

Nancy
Old 04-09-2013, 01:51 PM   #19

Quebec
Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately I was in To last week and unlikely to go again for a while
Old 04-12-2013, 03:17 PM   #20

Name: Mitchell
Trailer: Shopping
Ontario
plates?

Quote:
Interesting about Ontario and I will look into it. I dont think I would have trouble with US/Canadian customs but will check. I will have to leave it once cleared and go to the nearest town in Québec to carry out the plating. Minnesota incidentally does not require plates under about 1400lbs but there is still Michigan and NY State who do.
Of course you will need plates when you pick it up. And don't you need plates for a trailer anywhere in USA? If you don't you can have a lot of trouble. Canadian customs will seize the trailer until you get plates and they want their 13% sales tax. Get the plates before you pick it up if that is possible or a temporary permit from DOT. If you lie at the border they have the right to take trailer from you and never return it. Check with Canadian border services about importing it. You can probably make arrangements before you bring it over the border days in advance to avoid a hassle and delay. Otherwise you maybe sleeping at the border or leave without trailer until you get proper papers and plates.

I might do what you are doing to do.
RETIRED is offline   Reply With Quote