Any Tips for Towing in the Snow - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2019, 11:06 PM   #61

Name: Mac
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' LD
Oregon
Well, there's snow, and then there's Pacific Northwest coastal snow. That snow is about 33-34 degrees and extremely slippery. Salt is not much used; instead we have pea gravel, sand, or lava cinders. People from the Midwest drive on it and are shocked at how slippery it is. Fun to drive in, properly equipped (BFG A/T KO2 tires, chains if we must) but I would park our trailer rather than tow in it - eggs crack on impact. We don't have chains for the trailer, and they would be required if we chained up our TV, so we park. Usually the stormy conditions only last a day or so, then chains or snow tires are no longer required.
Moab was beautiful this May - I would imagine the nights are a bit cold there, this time of year.
Spongelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 08:47 AM   #62

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We are predicted to get 12” to 16” of snow with high winds between today and tomorrow.
Like my Dad used to say “ Cold & Snow are great things , they keep the rif raf out “
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 09:15 AM   #63

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
In my neighborhood, snow brings in the “riff-raff”: skiers from Phoenix, Tucson, and Mexico.

Around here we call them “money.” 12-18” of new snow on Thanksgiving Day on top of a couple of feet the previous week is making for an early start this year. Let it snow!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 09:19 AM   #64

Name: Alan
Trailer: 1983 Casita & 1972 home-built
Oregon
Nokian tires

[QUOTE=BarbinBC;761811]Loving my second set of Nokian tires - WR G3 this time. I used to be a diehard Michelin fan, but for the same price I like these better.

I got this set of Nokian WR4 Generation 4 SUV at Discount Tire, and they were cheaper than Michelins and outperformed the Michelins in almost every test I saw. Also a higher weight rating, and reinforced sidewalls for our Sienna Heavy AWD. Nokians seem to keep getting better every new design. I too am a diehard Michelin fan, but when you see a tire that outperforms a very good Michelin model, you better buy it.

My first set of Nokians only made it about 30K, but they were so grippy I didn't really care. These WR4s should last longer.

Running on excellent (and fresh) tires has saved my ass so many times I no longer regret spending a few extra bucks to be safer every time I leave the driveway. Are tires the single most important part of the vehicle?
ARVZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 09:55 AM   #65

Name: Barb
Trailer: Trillium Outback 2004
British Columbia
Registry
[QUOTE=ARVZ;761861]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbinBC View Post
Loving my second set of Nokian tires - WR G3 this time. I used to be a diehard Michelin fan, but for the same price I like these better.

I got this set of Nokian WR4 Generation 4 SUV at Discount Tire, and they were cheaper than Michelins and outperformed the Michelins in almost every test I saw. Also a higher weight rating, and reinforced sidewalls for our Sienna Heavy AWD. Nokians seem to keep getting better every new design. I too am a diehard Michelin fan, but when you see a tire that outperforms a very good Michelin model, you better buy it.

My first set of Nokians only made it about 30K, but they were so grippy I didn't really care. These WR4s should last longer.

Running on excellent (and fresh) tires has saved my ass so many times I no longer regret spending a few extra bucks to be safer every time I leave the driveway. Are tires the single most important part of the vehicle?
Good to hear about the next gen. Nokian's. I didn't realize they were available in the U.S. as my Consumer Reports subscription doesn't haven them listed. Another fan!
Old 11-30-2019, 01:18 PM   #66

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Had a bunch of snow in the trailer before hordes on reno waste was thrown in, including a lot of drywall scrap from boarding a good part of the project. So, in order to not let the snow melt and form ice sticking everything to the bottom of the trailer, I had to do a dump run today. The load was not too bad no, I was at about 8300 lb with the trailer and the garbage is all.Click image for larger version

Name:	20191130_102315.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	132409
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote