Anyone buffed a Boler/Scamp front/read window? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2012, 09:10 PM   #1

Name: Joel
Trailer: 1981 Boler
Sarnia, Ontario
Question Anyone buffed a Boler/Scamp front/read window?

Was thinking about replacing my front window on our boler because its got lots of scratches in it. I was going to replace the rubber seal with locking strip and thought I'd replace the window at same time.

I am thinking about trying to just buff the plexi instead of replacing it, because plexi is just so bloody expensive.

if anyone has any experience with this, would you mind sharing what you used as far as polish goes, it might be a good option for a lot of people with old windows.

I bet you could probably buy a cheap buffer with a speed control for less then the plexi glass itself and have it for future use instead of blowing all that money on a window that can be renewed instead of replaced. could use the buffer to polish up the trailer or your car after you do the window

anyways, thanks a lot,
idiotsniff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:12 PM   #2

Sarnia, Ontario
can someone fix my title? I made a typo, front/rear window is what i meant!
Old 04-25-2012, 10:05 PM   #3

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
Plexi does buff up nicely but more than that is required depending on how deep the scratches are. The only way to get rid of serious scratches is by using progressively finer wet and dry sandpaper until the scratches are gone. Only then will buffing make a shiney surface. It really depends on how deep the scratches are whether it's worth doing or not. If deep scratches are removed, even if the surface is buffed to a mirror finish, there will be some distortion.

Kits are sold for refinishing headlight covers. If the scratches aren't too deep that might work for you.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:16 PM   #4

Sarnia, Ontario
Hi Ron,

thanks for the reply, I don't think they are to deep, more surface scuffing and light scratching if i recall. I've seen acrylic stuff buffed before, I guess you just have to keep the speed down on the buffer and keep it moving so you don't burn the stuff. just wasnt sure how well it worked or what to use. I'm sure a quick search would find out what to use. just wanted to see if anyone on here has done it and how well it worked out. that was another thing I was worried about was distortion. If I don't have to sand down the plexi first and just buff it and keep things moving you think I'll still get much distortion?

I have some of that head light restorer stuff, not sure if that is good just for removing that foggy/hazed look?

Do you know what type of buffing compound is needed off hand to buff the glass?

thanks again,
Old 04-25-2012, 10:26 PM   #5

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: idiotsniff... The buffing agent I used on my Boler plexi windows was Brasso. Use it like you would use a car wax...on clean windows apply, let dry to a haze(takes some time) then buff with a dry clean old Tee shirt.(You could generate some static) Worked for me on all but the deepest gouges. My buddy near put his fist thru one!!!
Works great on yellowed plastic headlight lenses too!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:39 PM   #6

Name: Brian
Trailer: 1975 boler
Manitoba
Hey Joel, Check out the "windows,windows,windows" thread. Donna mentioned Alf's Brasso comment and there are a few other ideas on there too.
How did it go at Speedy?
bkboler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:17 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I went to a boat supply store. Most boats have Plexiglass Windshields. They recommended Meguires Plastic polish. There was two different bottles one cleans the other restores by filling the scratches. It cleaned and polished up my front window nicely. I understand many aircraft folks use Turtle Wax. You do have to be careful to NOT use something that will react with plexie.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:58 AM   #8

Sarnia, Ontario
Hi everyone,

thanks for all the comments and info, I think I'll have to double check on the degree of scratches, I may try the brasso first because I think we have some around someplace. If there are lots of deeper scratches and the brasso doesn't work I may try that Meguires stuff Byron mentioned.

Alf, you think we could get an electric buffer that can be turned down real slow? or should we just polish by hand? I think that harbor freight in the States there has the grinder style with a speed controller on sale all the time for about $30 dollars or so.

Brian, just got your msg there today on the speedy glass window seal, I'll have to try and call our local speedy glass in the next couple days and see if that can help out or not. I appreciate your help, will let you know how I make out. thanks for the info.

thanks again everyone, if anyone else has other info, feel free to post.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:29 AM   #9

Trailer: Boler 1984
Toothpaste does a good job for light buffing. I have used a fine grade automotive buffing compound to good effect. Now I just polish the windows with the same wax that I do the trailer with.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:06 PM   #10

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
I have used 4000, 2000 grit sand paper on headlight covers with that headlight restorer compound, brasso would work probably work just as well. Just the compounds (headlight restore, rubbing compounds, polish) alone didnt seem to get rid of the yellow faded look on the headlight, havent tried it on a plexi window though......
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler, scamp