Anyone have an older Dometic fridge? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2013, 09:31 AM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
Anyone have an older Dometic fridge?

I have a RM2301 Dometic 3-way refrigerator in my Bigfoot and it's in great shape and works great but the travel catch is broken and has been since I bought this trailer. I've tried to find replacement parts but they are long obsolete and I've yet to find NOS or even good used parts anywhere. What was left of the catch when I bought this trailer has now disintegrated and I have no idea what it even looked like originally.

Does anyone have one of these early units with a complete catch that they can take some photos of and post here so I can at least see what I'm looking for? Any help is appreciated.
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:34 AM   #2

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
See if this helps you in any way....

http://www.bdub.net/manuals/DometicReeferManual.pdf
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:42 AM   #3

Alaska
Registry
Thanks but I have the original manual and parts diagram/list already. The diagrams of the catch parts are too small to tell what they actually look like. All the travel catch/latch part numbers are obsolete and all the ones they supersede to are discontinued so I need to find something that looks similar or compatible, or find something that can take the place of the original catch. I'm just hoping to see what the original one looked like so I have a target.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:15 AM   #4

Trailer: 1973 13 ft Compact II
Have you already TRIED...

...contacting BigFoot Industries to get the recommendation from their service department? BigFoot is currently in production and woud be the best spot to start your quest...I'm sure they've worked on other BF/s of this age and successfully repaired the road lock.
Let us know how it works out.
Barbara
bbuehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:22 AM   #5

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
Fridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainjunkie View Post
Thanks but I have the original manual and parts diagram/list already. The diagrams of the catch parts are too small to tell what they actually look like. All the travel catch/latch part numbers are obsolete and all the ones they supersede to are discontinued so I need to find something that looks similar or compatible, or find something that can take the place of the original catch. I'm just hoping to see what the original one looked like so I have a target.
I have a BF19G I am storing for a friend it is a 85 model I will check the model and take a picture for you.
Chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:48 AM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Mike if you havent already done so try posting on this forum under the Parts - Buy- Sell- trade section. I was able to get a new to me freezer compartment door from another member here for my old Dometic fridge that way - I know a few members have parted out old fridges they had in their garages to help us all out a few times.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:15 PM   #7

Alaska
Registry
Carol, good idea. Chuck, got your PM, thanks for checking. I dug through a bunch of older photos and found one of the fridge so you can see the style I have, and one of the catch as it was when I bought the trailer.

As you can see the back side of the catch was broken off since I've had the trailer. I have no idea what it originally looked like. Now the front of it is gone so all that is left is a small piece under the screw. This is the part I'm trying to figure out how it looked when whole.
Attached Thumbnails
dometic_DSC_7021_900px.jpg   dometic_IMG_0574_900px.jpg  

Old 12-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #8

Registry

It looked like this

Travel Latch RM2401 & RM2301-30, NO Longer Available | Caravan Catches & Retainers | CaravansPlus

See if this will work

Dometic RV Refrigerator Door Catch 2952140008=
Old 12-27-2013, 03:37 PM   #9

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
That latch looks like the one on the RM211 fridges. RM211's are not too hard to find. I have two that I got for free.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:46 PM   #10

Alaska
Registry
Steve that helped a lot. I believe the part that Any RV Parts has, even though it's different, can be made to work. I ordered one and better yet, they are near L.A, where I am now, so it should be here no later than Monday. Thanks for your help.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:35 PM   #11

Registry
Glad I could help Mike. I hope that works out for you.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:28 PM   #12

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
. . . And the RM2202 and probably several others models, but most of them broken just like yours.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:35 AM   #13

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
What I did was take out the screw and just use a pin through the hole. For the pin I just used a machine screw which I soldered a flat washer into the screw driver slot. I also filed down the threads. Works great but may have to attach a string to it to keep it handy. I would take a picture but its -20C and the camper is under snow
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:44 PM   #14

Alaska
Registry
Well I received the part Steve pointed me towards and I was able to modify it to make it work.

The catch that attaches to the top of the door has a pin on the bottom that fits into a hole on the door frame. The pin on this newer part is too small in diameter and a snug fit is required to keep it in place. So I found a small piece of plastic tubing and slipped it over the original pin and it fits and holds great.

The actual catch that attaches to the hinge didn't actually fit at all with either the flat head machine screw that came with the kit, or the original one which is a pan-head shoulder screw. The screw in the kit is 6mm (M6 1.0) and the old screw and it's corresponding threaded hole in the hinge is a M7 1.0. It took me awhile to find a suitable M7 flat-head machine screw (it's super short) but I finally did and after opening up the hole in the catch a bit, it went together fine.

Since I had everything apart and since the original hinges were a bit corroded and the chrome plating was coming off, I removed both top hinges, cleaned them up, and painted them with a silver hammertone paint. It's a nice, clean, unassuming look. I didn't want to get them re-chromed and I thought silver paint would look cheesy. So I went with a hammertone finish and I think it looks pretty nice. See pix below.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and especially to Steve for finding the image of the original part on that Australian caravan site and for locating the alternate Dometic part. The fridge is now ready for my trip from California to Alaska which kicks off New Year's Day.
Attached Thumbnails
fridge_IMG_7432_900px.jpg   fridge_IMG_7434_900px.jpg  

Old 01-05-2014, 01:13 PM   #15

Name: richie
Trailer: Casita patriot deluxe (sold)
Virginia
I thanks you as well---I quit looking for the latch-.
ill order it tomorrow, sparky1.
sparky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:50 PM   #16

Registry
I'm pleased the two of you were able to benefit from my humble effort. And trainjunkie that is a A1 Classy looking retrofit. You were spot on in choosing that paint color.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:19 PM   #17

Name: Ken
Trailer: Fleetwood
California
Had some locks made.

Newbee here, had some of these made. They are a perfect fit!
Here is a photo.
Click image for larger version

Name:	$T2eC16NHJGgFFmgQHP3FBRquf28LJw~~60_57.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	74363
fullon627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 04:30 PM   #18

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Although this is an older thread, I will add in that you can also just remove the latch screw and the small piece of plastic on the door and drop a "Travel Locking Pin" through both to hold the door closed. Most RV stores/sources have a pin on a chain just for this purpose. Here is the "Designer" versions, less expensive non-designer versions are also available.
http://www.amazon.com/RV-Designer-Co.../dp/B0006I0MYK

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge