Anyone own or tow with a GMC Canyon? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2006, 09:57 AM   #21

Trailer: Trillum
Last Sept I got a Colorado 5cly 2wheel 4 door its just me and the wife and 13 trillum.
LOVE IT!!!
Great gas milage (Ont to Newfoundland with out trailler 30 Miles to Can galon)
Try one out.
Pat
Pat Tedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 05:46 PM   #22

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Thanks.

I will keep all this in mind, good and bad, when I am ready to look.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 08:24 PM   #23

Trailer: 1991 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Gina, I'd second the wagon for a commuter but look at a VW Jetta or Passat with the TDI. If you've never driven a turbodiesel in the hills like you describe around home, you would be amazed at how effortlessly they cruise on up. plus, you'd be pulling nearly twice the mileage you get now with the Element, I'm sure.
Keep the Element for towing and if you upgrade trailers in the future you could trade it in on a higher-capacity rig then.
Because you live in Kalifornia, the State in all of it's wisdom says you cannot buy a new diesel, but you can buy a lightly used one. At least see if you can find someone that would let you borrow one to try - you may be very pleasantly surprised.
I hear that Subaru will likely be introducing a diesel in the next few years - that would be an awesome combination, too. Heck, you could probably tow just as well if not better with one of those!
Lee Hillsgrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 05:19 PM   #24

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Get a Toyota. There is no better truck on the road. My grandson is driving an old 76 Toyota that I gave him and it has almost 400,000 miles on it and never had any major problems. It has the original engine and does not use any oil
My 05 tacoma has a 2.7 185 hp engine and when the grand kids are visiting it tows a 3 ATV trailer that weighs about 2800 to 3000 pounds when loaded and then I haul my 750 in the back of the truck and it weighs about 650 lbs. I average about 26 mpg, I live in the Mountains, and on one trip to Denver I averaged 27.5. Pulling an overloaded trailer, almost 4000 lbs, the worst mpg was 20.5. I have had it 10 months now and have about 27000 trouble free miles.
I used to have a 5th wheel and pulled it with a 91 Ford F-250 4X4 at 50000 miles I put a new tranny in it. It now has 81000 miles on it and needs a new engine. NO MORE DOMESTICS FOR ME.
What you think you lose by by not getting a rebate to bribe you to buy a vehihcle you will more than make up in the resale value.

Good luck, hope you get a Toyota,
John Perry
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote