Anyone own or tow with a GMC Canyon? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2006, 08:52 PM   #1

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I am looking for a new daily driver and tug. (Don't worry.. the Element is staying with me.. I like it too much)

I need a daily driver, but also am looking at a little more tugging ability. There are several different versions. I am most interested in the 2wd, possibly the 5 banger. Will also need a canopy.. the dogs don't like ears floppin in the wind.. and they aren't allowed up front.

I understand it's the next generation S-10 with more poop.

Before I go "shopping" (I hate that part) I would like to know if it will meet those needs from someone with similar needs.

Next in line are..

Another Element (Give up the extra tugging ability)
An Escape.. (Same thing)
A Pilot ($$$$$$ )
A Ridgeline (Used... GAS and too much $$$$)
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 09:27 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
This is not an S-10, its a Trailblazer/Colorado chassis.

I have been looking at them for my son. I met a man at a rest stop last year that was pulling an Airstream Bambi with a Trailblazer 5-cyclinder. He claimed 14 MPG at 70 MPH.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 10:09 PM   #3

Registry
Quote:
Trailblazer
Oh no...

I am a Sonics Fan!!!!

Have you driven it and what did you think if you have?

I won't drive until I am ready to put up with Car Salesmen.

I have driven The Escape and Ridgeline, one as a rental, and one that belonged to someone else richer than me.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:51 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
i drove one before buying the full size gmc sierra 6 cyl it was ok had some pep but was not thrilled with the price i bought a full size 6 cyl for 4 thousd less than any canyon i found and the little bed does nothing for me..my sierra gets 16mpg towing a 2200lb trailer at 65 mph

my new truck is 2006 sierra 6cyl automatic air cruise tilt upgraded 40/20/40 buckets with arm rest 8 ft bed 34gallon fuel tank sliding rear window and matching fiberglass cap bought for $16200.00 out the door..average 20 miles per gallon 16 miles per gallon with trailer..dont now what it will be yet with the scamp 5er hopefully the deal with that will be done soon but that is a story all of its own...
Attached Thumbnails
MVC_013S.JPG   MVC_006S.JPG  

Dan Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 07:02 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel 1992
We're pulling the 5th wheel Scamp, with a 02 Ford Ranger, 4X4, 4.0L V6, and haven't had any problems pulling any hills yet.

Gas check has been 15mpg, but that was with only one check, have noticed it runs better on high test when pulling the trailer, what a bummer.
davidlebrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 07:16 AM   #6

Trailer: 87 U-Haul CT13
My experience is similar to Dan's. I began shopping for a truck to replace my old S-10 about a year ago. I looked at the Colorado/Canyon, but found that by the time you upgrade to the I-5 engine with a few comforts (AC, etc.), you are in the same price range as a basic 1/2 ton Silverado/Sierra. More room, more power, more towing capacity, and basically the same gas mileage. I ended up buying a 1/2 ton Sierra extended (not crew) cab with the 4.8L V8, and average 18 mpg around town and 16-17 mpg towing the UHaul.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rig_lowres.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	4208
jasoncarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 08:36 AM   #7

Registry
This is good info, thanks. I will explore the others.

A few notes..

No 4x4. I just can't justify the extra costs (Insurance mostly) for equipment that I might use for an hour a year. For snow and ice, I have good chains and am quite skilled and fast when installing them.

My commute is 100 miles RT, so milage is of vast importance.

The Ridgeline is 30k and is only available in 4x4. Milage stinks. It's my first *want*, but the last in practicality and economy.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:37 AM   #8

Registry
Dan, is that a factory canopy? Did they have a tow package?
Old 07-26-2006, 10:20 AM   #9

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
During our just completed 4,500 mile trip with our Element and Scamp we were discussing a better/bigger/more comfee tow vehicle, although the Element is otherwise terrific. I hate to comptemplate it, but a loser-cruiser Honda Odessey comes to mind.

We use to have an F-150 but a pickup is not particulary practical for us 1-car family.

Good luck!

Pat
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 11:45 AM   #10

Can you clarify your needs a bit? I'm a little confused. Why can't the Element be your dd since it probably gets better gas mileage than your other options (unless you got an Escape Hybrid but I sure as heck wouldn't try towing with it) or just about anything with a better towing capacity? Is it just getting to be high mileage already or...? 500 miles a week is a lot of gas and I'd be looking for something suited to that and have my second vehicle be the tow rig.

But going on what you originally said, have you considered the Nissan Frontier? With the V6 its rated to tow 6500lbs which puts the GMC to shame. 17/21 which is pretty close to the Canyon as well.
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 01:25 PM   #11

Registry
The Element has almost 85k on it. As a Honda.. thats nothing. Almost broke in LOL! It's part of the reason to keep it. It would be a GREAT traveling and back up car.

However, I rack up the miles quickly and have a brutal last 12 miles on my commute. I have a 3000 foot elevation gain in 12 miles, with no services or civilization between the bottom of the hill and the top. If I break down there.. it's a long and miserable walk or at the very least, a lot of waiting for a tow in an often snowy, and in the summer, brutally hot environment..

I have pretty much resigned myself to having newer vehicles to commute in to avoid this disaster. The monthly payments would be easier for me to handle than a lump some repair bill, and possibly a health issue.

I have considered getting a car type car, just for commuting, but I have to transport critters, so a truck or SUV suits my needs better.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:28 PM   #12

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
Quote:
I won't drive until I am ready to put up with Car Salesmen.

Two tactics for the cautious shopper:

1)Rent what you are interested in for a weekend. You'll get a sense of how you feel about it without having too much extraneous feedback.

2) When I go to the sales lot I recite this mantra, "I'm unemployed. My credit sucks and I have no money. I'm just browsing and thinking wish filled thoughts." The salesmen walk away quickly. I am then free to browse the entire lot at my leisure. Of course its really hard to get the sales people to come back and answer a question after the mantra has been uttered. BUT THEN if I'm ready to be serious about buying I recite the mantra again and add at the end, "BUT I do got a Daddy who loves me." At this moment the salesmen magically reappear.
Benita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 01:32 PM   #13

Registry
When I am ready, I will most likely go thru the fleet purchase option thru Costco. The hassle factor is zero. I got my Civic that way. I called first then I went to the Costco listed dealer. Drove it without a sales pitch once I showed them the costco card, picked one up ordered to my specs two weeks later. Was out the door in about an hour.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:14 PM   #14

I was figuring the story would be something like that

Perhaps you think they're dorky, but the station wagon is making a comeback and there are some GREAT options out there. I regularly haul around 2 60lb Vizslas in my Passat Wagon while getting at least mid to high 20's on the highway.

You might want to consider the Subaru Legacy or Outback as well (like all Subarus, they are AWD but still get great gas mileage and are quite reliable). Car gas mileage with dog hauling ability. Can you tell I'm a wagon lover? (and I'm under 30 so I'm not stuck in the past or anything ). I think the Dodge Magnum rocks too but my (and my family's) past experiences with Chrysler products leaves me unable to recommend it...
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 02:57 PM   #15

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I hate to comptemplate it, but a [b]loser-cruiser Honda Odyssey comes to mind.
I resemble that remark!
Old 07-26-2006, 03:05 PM   #16

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
When I am ready, I will most likely go thru the [b]fleet purchase option thru Costco. The hassle factor is zero.
Was out the door in about an hour.
I tried to do that when I bought my Odyssey. Did the initial search online. Already hit the enter key....
Screen changes to display:
...except [b]ODYSSEY, which is not in the program.

[b]NOOoooooo!

Make sure the car you want is in the program!
Old 07-26-2006, 03:29 PM   #17

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
I feel your pain in making the decision, Gina. If you do not change to a much heavier trailer I second the Subaru Outback idea. Even if our "loser-cruiser" Odyssey lasts a long time it will eventually give up the ghost too.
If I have any money left when I have to replace the Ody I will be looking for (and finding?) a plug-in hybrid running bio-diesel with 3500lb towing capacity. But then I have family in the bio-diesel business.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 04:59 PM   #18

Quote:
Dan, is that a factory canopy? Did they have a tow package?
no the cap is a jason cap 1000.00 installed painted to match and yes i have the factory tow package ...
Old 07-26-2006, 05:03 PM   #19

Quote:
When I am ready, I will most likely go thru the fleet purchase option thru Costco. The hassle factor is zero. I got my Civic that way. I called first then I went to the Costco listed dealer. Drove it without a sales pitch once I showed them the costco card, picked one up ordered to my specs two weeks later. Was out the door in about an hour.
my deal on the truck was 700.00 less than what i could get it for with fleet numbers from a friend of mine the deal said the reason for that is they dont give you the rebates just the fleet price...
Old 07-26-2006, 10:42 PM   #20

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
My neighbor has a 5-cylinder Colorado. He was towing a Nissan Altima on a car dolly and had the transmission lock up on him. The truck was essential new, 6 months out of the box. After my '99 Astro van blew up last winter with 108K miles, I lost interest in GM products for towing. I now drive an '06 Nissan Frontier crew cab, 2 WD, 6-speed manual. It gets about 21.5 MPG's around town and 19 pulling my 13' Scamp. It's got 6500 lb towing capacity so I hardly know the trailer is hooked up.
Fred Bell is offline   Reply With Quote