Are crank out shed windows the same like in our trailers? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-20-2013, 02:09 PM   #1

Name: Christine
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13'
North Carolina
Are crank out shed windows the same like in our trailers?

I need a replacement window for my 76 scamp. I looked on ebay and found some crank out windows for sheds, those look almost the same. I found some people who used those for teardrop trailers but there made of wood. Does anybody know if that would work on fiberglass?
Christin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:48 PM   #2

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb

You might have some luck researching what Hehr windows has available.
_This is a link to their window and door product page_

They have many styles and span several decades (since the 50's) and are popular on many RVs. Both our full time Mobile Suite and our small Parkliner-egg have the jalousie windows made by Hehr. From what i've read they can make just about anything/any-size.

Best wishes on your build/revamp.
Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:11 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Christine, they might be the same size, but will probably be missing the interior clamp ring. Windows mounted into sticks 'n bricks buildings don't need the clamp ring because they're screwed into the frame, but we need them for the interior mounting in an all molded towable.

One of the members here is replacing his windows with brand new ones, perhaps his old ones will be for sale?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:33 PM   #4

North Carolina
Ah, i understand, i didn't know that. Sadly one of my windows is just the frame and everything else is missing... I tried to get the Boler ones but he didn't email back yet. I really wana keep the old crank windows even if my husband would like to change everything to the new black tinted ones but its just not the same!
Old 06-20-2013, 07:36 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christin View Post
I looked on ebay and found some crank out windows for sheds, those look almost the same. I found some people who used those for teardrop trailers but there made of wood. Does anybody know if that would work on fiberglass?
My Compact Jr. has windows that do not have an inside clamp ring, instead it has wood framing inside that the window's mounting screws "bite" into. The key is if the shed windows fit the opening. If they do, then you could make a wood frame for the inside that mounting screws from the outside could "bite" into.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:39 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
My Compact Jr. has windows that do not have an inside clamp ring, instead it has wood framing inside that the window's mounting screws "bite" into. The key is if the shed windows fit the opening. If they do, then you could make a wood frame for the inside that mounting screws from the outside could "bite" into.
However, trailer windows need to have safety glass -or- Plexiglas, and I think the "shed" windows are regular house type glass.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:16 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
Ahh, good idea about making a frame!

Christine, you need to change you profile so we know what year/brand of trailer you have. It helps us to help you!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:50 PM   #8

North Carolina
Changed and saved... Did they use safety glass 1976? Seems like the other one is also judt regular but i can be wrong. Would that not be fixable witn this anti shedder or break folies for cars? ( sorry if i sound like yoda or made up words)
Old 06-23-2013, 07:42 PM   #9

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Christine, if you can wait a while folks sell or give away their old windows. It would be great to just refurb the older windows and install in your Scamp.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:13 AM   #10

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christin View Post
Changed and saved... Did they use safety glass 1976? Seems like the other one is also judt regular but i can be wrong. Would that not be fixable witn this anti shedder or break folies for cars? ( sorry if i sound like yoda or made up words)
I broke a window pane on my 1973 Boler. It certainly didn't break like automotive glass.

Is it possible to repair the old window? Some of the bits and pieces are replaceable, and you can get new glass.

Derek
glamourpets is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windows