Are my slider windows hopeless? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2014, 12:00 PM   #1

Name: Anne
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Are my slider windows hopeless?

The slider windows on my Campact II are heavily sealed with silicon. The PO said they slid with such difficulty they never opened them and sealed them when one of the windows leaked. I am wondering if I can clean them and get them working or must I order new and replace them?
Any suggestions how I can get them sliding and water tight IF I can clean off silicon?
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1405447233.520507.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	73684Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1405447246.696643.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	73685
Fire-N-Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:26 PM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: Hunter
New Mexico
Mu Hunter Compact jr windows were is pretty much the same shape. I took them out and wire wheeled and scraped the frames. They cleaned up fairly well. The glass you can clean up with a flat razor blade with some success. It met my needs but it really depends on your expectations. I think the best way, short of new windows would be cleaning frames and having a professional replace the glass but I have no concept of what that may cost vs new windows being that pretty much any price was out of my budget for now. There is no reason they shouldnt slide after a good scraping. WD40, wire wheel on a drill, flat blade and a paint scraper.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Seldomseensmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:46 PM   #3

Trailer: 1970 (Circa) Compact Jr and 1993 Casita
The windows on our Campster were siliconed shut.
After a couple days of digging the stuff out with a long knife and other tools they finally opened.
There is some silicone that we cant get out -where the two windows meet-going to work on that this summer-but windows open now.
Didnt want to take the windows and frames out- might not have been able to seal them back up correctly.
Why would someone seal windows shut?
Ricky 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:57 PM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: Hunter
New Mexico
My Hunter is full of "why would someone" issues. For instance, why would someone remove all the roof lifting hardware?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Seldomseensmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 02:00 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire-N-Ice View Post
sealed them when one of the windows leaked.
It may simple have been that the drain plug is clogged. Pop off that little white oblong cap under the window and run some weed eater cord through it to clear the drains on the window frame.

I have had great success with using the DAP Silicone remover. Just remove the most you can without it and then apply it really well over whats left and leave it for a number of hours and then try and take off.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:10 PM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
New channel that the windows slide in is available if you need to rebuild them. Carol's drain cleaning suggestion is good. If you do replace the channel you'll have to cut drain slots in it.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:32 PM   #7

Name: Anne
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Tomorrow is going to be window repair day. I got a plastic caulk remover tool, and read a suggestion to heat it with a hairdryer to try softening the caulk. Clearing the weep holes is a great reminder. Where could i get the replacement channel for the windows? The channel seems to be hardened. I will report back with results!

Sent from my Touchpad using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Fire-N-Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:23 PM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seldomseensmith View Post
My Hunter is full of "why would someone" issues. For instance, why would someone remove all the roof lifting hardware?
They probably were not the type of members here that research their projects before attempting them.

What, raise the roof and open the windows? That would let fresh air in.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:26 PM   #9

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
I remodeled a Compact Jr some time ago. The door window was glued shut and painted black. It took hours to clean the paint off the glass. The side windows needed a lot of work.
Chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windows