Are there any members that live near the Vancouver border - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-31-2010, 12:07 PM   #1

Trailer: 1976 Boler 13 ft
Registry
I really want the 15 inch flatscreen dvd combo at target.com but they dont ship to canada.(it's electrical and 12v!!!!!) They wont ship it to the Wa state store either so i need a us address, prefferably close, that i can ship it to. I must get rid of that bulky 14 inch. I'll just set it up and it'll look like part of the furniture, no duty. thanks for any help
cyndi H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:06 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 13 ft 2010 ('Ladybug') / 2003 Subaru Forester
Registry
Quote:
I really want the 15 inch flatscreen dvd combo at target.com but they dont ship to canada.(it's electrical and 12v!!!!!) They wont ship it to the Wa state store either so i need a us address, prefferably close, that i can ship it to. I must get rid of that bulky 14 inch. I'll just set it up and it'll look like part of the furniture, no duty. thanks for any help
Cyndi:

Did you check whether the Target store in Bellingham has that TV in stock?

Brian
Old 05-31-2010, 03:10 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Caution! while plenty of small LCD tvs are 12V with an AC/DC adapters, many of them use an input with 4pairs 12V from the adapter. double check before purchase. this would make direct 12V power more complex than a simple plug-in.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:15 PM   #4

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Quote:
Caution! while plenty of small LCD tvs are 12V with an AC/DC adapters, many of them use an input with 4pairs 12V from the adapter. double check before purchase. this would make direct 12V power more complex than a simple plug-in.
Floyd, coulda please go into more details aboutthis 12V issue for this A/V challanged Canuck??
I'd be very interested in one that has an onboard cd/dvd player too, BTW!!!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:23 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Cyndi:

Did you check whether the Target store in Bellingham has that TV in stock?

Brian
Yes, and they wont ship to the bellingham store either. Too bad. I found a few on ebay that ship to canada though. will research further..........
Old 05-31-2010, 05:27 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Thanks for that, although i dont follow 100% they are listed as ideal for the road, marine etc so i'd hope they are simple. i think the specs said that it had a 12 volt adapter so i assumed it was like my current one. i have a conventional 14" dual power but it takes up way too much space, my entire drop leaf counter extension. it's got to go.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:31 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Floyd, coulda please go into more details aboutthis 12V issue for this A/V challanged Canuck??
I'd be very interested in one that has an onboard cd/dvd player too, BTW!!!!
The one i was looking at was a tv/dvd combo that ran on 12v or 110. my present tv is dual power and very handy, just bulky. i'm glad i'm not the only one that is challenged on understanding that.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:36 PM   #8

Registry
Cyndi:

Another option to consider: you can use a 15" laptop, which is what we do. Very compact and flexible

It runs on 110 volts AC when available, or on 12 volts DC otherwise (using an inverter).

We have used it to watch DVDs only so far, but a small device is available (we don't have one) to allow it to receive broadcast TV when it is within range.

We have also used it to pick up email when WiFi is available.

Brian

Old 05-31-2010, 11:46 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Cyndi:

Another option to consider: you can use a 15" laptop, which is what we do. Very compact and flexible

It runs on 110 volts AC when available, or on 12 volts DC otherwise (using an inverter).

We have used it to watch DVDs only so far, but a small device is available (we don't have one) to allow it to receive broadcast TV when it is within range.

We have also used it to pick up email when WiFi is available.

Brian
i do bring the laptop. What is the name of the tv thingy? my tech guy said they werent that advanced to be worth it yet. I'm smitten with the tv mounted to the left of the upper cabinets (yes, already have a spot for it)
Old 06-01-2010, 10:02 AM   #10

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
The idea of having/using a laptop is seeming more n more to be a good idea to me, alas the Trailer Goddess does not share my computer thoughts . On the computer I have at home, one of the installed programs is called (Cyber Link) Power Cinema. It allows watching of TV signals (with or without picture in a picture feature) via whatever means is available (I think?) cable or antenna(defunct?) or dish. The program also has a weather station feature, and is capable of playing DVD's (device/player needs to be connected up to the computer), videos, downloaded music or iPod, view stored pictures as well as plays available A.M/F.M. radio signals in stereo or mono. I think I need to pay a visit to my favorite shop to look at laptops. Also, because the are so compact, the fact that now I could buy/use a big screen lappy is even more desireable, because when folded its still very slim in size......

THANKS so much for putting the lappy idea into my thick skull!!!
Just think, Fathers Day is just 'round the corner too.....
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:51 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
i do bring the laptop. What is the name of the tv thingy? my tech guy said they werent that advanced to be worth it yet. I'm smitten with the tv mounted to the left of the upper cabinets (yes, already have a spot for it)
Cyndi:

We use a 15" [b]MacBook Pro. The TV tuner I was thinking of was [b]Elgato EyeTV 250 Plus Digital TV Recorder: http://store.apple.com/us/product/TR...co=MTY3ODQ5OTY

You need to have an antenna and cable also to make it work.

We have been out camping on four short trips so far this year, and have used the radio to listen to the news and played DVDs on the MacBook for entertainment and have not missed TV.

We really did not buy a trailer to watch TV! There is so much going on outdoors during the daytime to enjoy. Meanwhile our PVR at home is recording all the things from TV that we normally watch, so we can look forward to that when we get back.

I should have confessed that we [b]do buy many things in the US and have them shipped to our son's address in Seattle, since it is usually significantly cheaper, and as you found out some US suppliers will not ship to Canada. If your heart is still set on buying the LCD TV from Target perhaps one of the American forum readers will volunteer to receive shipments for you.

Brian
Old 06-01-2010, 07:32 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
The idea of having/using a laptop is seeming more n more to be a good idea to me, alas the Trailer Goddess does not share my computer thoughts . On the computer I have at home, one of the installed programs is called (Cyber Link) Power Cinema. It allows watching of TV signals (with or without picture in a picture feature) via whatever means is available (I think?) cable or antenna(defunct?) or dish. The program also has a weather station feature, and is capable of playing DVD's (device/player needs to be connected up to the computer), videos, downloaded music or iPod, view stored pictures as well as plays available A.M/F.M. radio signals in stereo or mono. I think I need to pay a visit to my favorite shop to look at laptops. Also, because the are so compact, the fact that now I could buy/use a big screen lappy is even more desireable, because when folded its still very slim in size......

THANKS so much for putting the lappy idea into my thick skull!!!
Just think, Fathers Day is just 'round the corner too.....
Go for it doug! (dont tell the trailer goddess i said that -just kidding)
Old 06-01-2010, 07:38 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Cyndi:

We use a 15" [b]MacBook Pro. The TV tuner I was thinking of was [b]Elgato EyeTV 250 Plus Digital TV Recorder: http://store.apple.com/us/product/TR...co=MTY3ODQ5OTY

You need to have an antenna and cable also to make it work.

We have been out camping on four short trips so far this year, and have used the radio to listen to the news and played DVDs on the MacBook for entertainment and have not missed TV.

We really did not buy a trailer to watch TV! There is so much going on outdoors during the daytime to enjoy. Meanwhile our PVR at home is recording all the things from TV that we normally watch, so we can look forward to that when we get back.

I should have confessed that we [b]do buy many things in the US and have them shipped to our son's address in Seattle, since it is usually significantly cheaper, and as you found out some US suppliers will not ship to Canada. If your heart is still set on buying the LCD TV from Target perhaps one of the American forum readers will volunteer to receive shipments for you.

Brian
I found a few, and the tv i want as well. I dont need tv , but do have a 'dinner with the news' obsession that is hard for me to let go of. Movies are a nice luxury b/c the only time i ever have to watch them is when camping, especially when pouring rain. reading is nice, but it puts me to sleep. seems frivilous, but the egg has always been about being as luxurious and relaxed as possible. i will definately look into those tuners mentioned though. the last i looked though they were almost as much as a tv.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:48 AM   #14

Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT13 ft ('The Mothball')
We live near the american border and when we want one of those pesky 'they don't ship to Canada' items we have it shipped to a UPS store just across the border and drive down and pick it up. This is such a common event at this UPS that the whole store is basically full of piled up boxes. They typically charge 5-10$ for this service and then you pay your duty at the border - remember to print out your online receipt. If you are unable to find an address on the board to ship to you could try calling up UPS stores in towns across the border and ask if they also do this.
Bridget
Bridget T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 08:29 AM   #15

Registry
Quote:
We live near the american border and when we want one of those pesky 'they don't ship to Canada' items we have it shipped to a UPS store just across the border and drive down and pick it up. This is such a common event at this UPS that the whole store is basically full of piled up boxes. They typically charge 5-10$ for this service and then you pay your duty at the border - remember to print out your online receipt. If you are unable to find an address on the board to ship to you could try calling up UPS stores in towns across the border and ask if they also do this.
Bridget
that is a good idea! I've ended up finding a few that do ship so when i'm ready i can do it. Funny that they wouldnt ship to the store though, they said they needed an actual address. i should have given them the stores address. I dont get that 'dont ship to canada', would it kill them? It's not like they are paying for the postage. oh well, move on to the ones that do.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:39 AM   #16

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
One note is that if you are using a laptop on 12v, it is more efficient to have a 12v adapter for the laptop than to run it through an inverter. I do carry a small, cheap inverter for just in case (it makes a cheap spare), but the 12v adapter is better if you are trying to conserve power.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote