Are these good tires? - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-11-2012, 10:00 AM   #1

Name: dave
Trailer: 1974 Trillium 1300
Ontario
Are these good tires?

Good day,
Princess auto has tires and rims on sale. I am wondering if they are a good buy and good for my 74 Trillium 1300. Price is $129.99 CND down from $174.99

Attributes & Specifications
Product Reference Trailer Tire Assembly Type Radial Size(s) ST175/80 R13 Load Rating 1,360lb Pressure Rating 50PSI Load Range C Bolt Pattern 5 on 4-1/2in. Rim Spoked Finish Galvanized finish Ply -

Brand CARLISLE Caution Do not exceed rated load capacity

Hoping this info helps.

Thx

Dave

Old 07-11-2012, 10:33 AM   #2

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
I have 4 year old Carlisle "C" rated Radials on my 13D Scamp with about 30,000 miles on them.
They have been remarkable and still have about 40% tread and no cracking in the tread or sidewall. They have been maintained at 50 PSI and have better air pressure stability than any trailer tire I have ever owned.
For comparison...The OEM "B" rated Marathons were removed @ 4 years and 27,000 miles. They were maintained @ 40PSI and had to be aired up often.
The Carlisle's are the best 13" trailer tires I have been able to find. (so far).

Old 07-11-2012, 10:38 AM   #3
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
If they are Carlilse Radial Trail, I had them on my last trailer (3 years) and on our current trailer (2 1/2 years) and I would buy them again. I have had no problems with them. As far as price, I paid about $130 US for a rim and tire (spare) a couple of years ago. As things always seem more expensive in Canada, that sounds like a very good price. Raz
Old 07-11-2012, 10:46 AM   #4

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
The galvanized rims make them a little expensive. There are a few dealers that post on kijiji in Ontario.
Go here: New & used RV & trailer parts / accessories for sale Ontario. axle kits, generators, tandem, wheels, toilets on Kijiji.ca
And search for tires, rims, Clentec

Clentec will even deliver in the Toronto and London areas. It is a side business so leave voice mail. He sell the H188ST tire. Some sites say they have the same specs as carlsisle. http://www.trailmastertrailers.com/pdf/H188.pdf

I have found it less expensive to buy the tire already mounted on a new rim than it is to buy a tire and have it mounted by someone.

You have to keep your eye out for the numbering D = bias, R = radial and they may have different specs.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:28 AM   #5

Name: dave
Trailer: 1974 Trillium 1300
Ontario
Wow, Quick replies THX to each of you!

Thx Roy for your links. Have you used the H188 tires? Did they satisfy your needs? Big price difference.

Bias or Radial seems to be the issue often discussed. In a nut shell, which is better?

Just talked to the guy from Clentec. Sounds like a good person. Says bias/radial is simply personal preference. Prices sound very good. I think he will get my business in the next few weeks.

Now I am just wondering if I can put a bigger tire on? Like 14"?

Clearly I am learning all this!

Thx
Old 07-11-2012, 02:03 PM   #6

Ontario
I've got 1 H188 on my Trillium, right now it is the spare, so I could not tell you.

I've got 3 different tires on the trill. New set all the way around when we bought the trill and put on a new axle. Lost a spare on one of those bumpy concrete highways. Weld broke on the tire carrier. Shortly afterwards we had our first blowout in 6 years of camping. Replaced it on the road with the only right sized tire they had. All that in about 1+ full seasons of camping.

Bias vs. radial? With bias, you can rotate tires with your spare. Unless things have changed, you don't want to change the direction of a radial.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #7

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
[QUOTE=Roy in TO;320749]
Bias vs. radial? With bias, you can rotate tires with your spare. Unless things have changed, you don't want to change the direction of a radial.[/QUOTE

Roy, that sure ain't the case with most passenger car radials. If you can't change the direction [of rotation?] of an ST radial , how would you guess which side in and out when you mount on the spare rim? I can't believe I'm supposed to wait for a flat and then mount the spare for correct rotation OR buy two extra rims with tires mounted to give the proper direction of rotation. I'd like to hear more of this directional tread thing simply because I've heard so little about it elsewhere (such as at tire distributors).

If fact, if your scenario is valid, you could rotate your spare with the wheel on one side of the trailer or the other but not with both OR you could remount your spare every so often or you feel like it whichever comes first and sub for either of the rollers currently employed, flat, or blown out.

jack
Old 07-11-2012, 05:52 PM   #8

Name: Kevin (Ken)
Trailer: Bigfoot 17, 1988
Wisconsin
There are tires that can only be rotated front to back, but the issue is unidirectional rain treads, not internal construction of the tire. According to my understanding, bias ply tires are an older, heavier style of construction, and are gradually being phased out of existence due to the superiority of radials in pretty much every respect except price.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:57 PM   #9
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
[QUOTE=rabbit;320803]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Bias vs. radial? With bias, you can rotate tires with your spare. Unless things have changed, you don't want to change the direction of a radial.[/QUOTE

Roy, that sure ain't the case with most passenger car radials. If you can't change the direction [of rotation?] of an ST radial , how would you guess which side in and out when you mount on the spare rim? I can't believe I'm supposed to wait for a flat and then mount the spare for correct rotation OR buy two extra rims with tires mounted to give the proper direction of rotation. I'd like to hear more of this directional tread thing simply because I've heard so little about it elsewhere (such as at tire distributors).

If fact, if your scenario is valid, you could rotate your spare with the wheel on one side of the trailer or the other but not with both OR you could remount your spare every so often or you feel like it whichever comes first and sub for either of the rollers currently employed, flat, or blown out.

jack
My only experience with directional tires comes from radial snow tires where the tread provides better traction spinning in one direction. They are sold in left and right sides. They have an arrow on the side to tell you which way they go. Tire rotation is front to back only. It's a " frozen north" thing. Raz
Old 07-11-2012, 07:18 PM   #10

Ontario
There is a good chance technology has changed and mindsets return to early days when we learnt these things. Way back when cars came with bias and radials came out, there was great debates about putting tires meant for a radial tuned suspension on an older car with older suspension.

Car manuals and the sticker in your trunks used to show you how to rotate all 5 tires with arrows in X pattern of sort. Then along came radials and donuts. The manuals and trunk stickers started showing you rotated front to back on the same side leaving the donut spare alone. That's the way I've kept doing it for years out of habit I suppose. I guess the garage does it so they don't have to carry the tires to the other side of the vehicle.

It appears that my knowledge base is severly outdated to the newer technology.
TireRack shows a number of ways to rotate and explains why:
Tire Tech Information - Tire Rotation Instructions

Here's a little piece on directional and asymetrical tires:
Barry's Tire Tech

Finally a piece on Radial vs Bias trailer tires:
TRAILER TIRES: BIAS PLY vs. RADIAL
Old 07-11-2012, 07:54 PM   #11

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Well, I don't think rotating in the cross pattern extended tread life or promoted even wear. Front to back and back to front is where the wear is balanced. Now that it's been mentioned, I do remember the snows with the directional arrow. The reason my thinking isn't more antideluvian than Roy's is that I can't remember much of the sordid past.

jack
Old 07-11-2012, 09:45 PM   #12

Name: Logan
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13'
Wisconsin
Directional tires are becoming more and more common.
Though, I've, never seen directional trailer tires.

I think the best vehicle for tire rotating was my stepmother's last Mercedes c230 Kompressor sedan.
The tires were all directional with the rear being several inches narrower than the front and the front tires had built in camber- enough to make it impossible for them to stay upright on their own.
You simply couldn't rotate them and they wore out incredibly quickly. (soft performance compound)
Old 07-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #13

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1996 Scamp 16
South Dakota
Scamp tires

I just purchased new tires on rims for my 1996 Scamp 16. I had originally wanted the radial tires for their road handling. Unfortunately I got to the garage too late to have the Carlisle radials mounted on rims, so I purchased their "off the shelf" bias tires premounted on rims. I was told the bias tires have stiffer side walls. My tires were mounted on rims that match the original Scamp rims style, white with red/blue stripes. I did research tires and it seems the Carlisle are good tires. I am not concerned about the bias tires because I will not put a ton of miles on them. They will need to be replaced due to age rather than wear in my case. I would say the price and tire you have selected seem good in my opinion. The new rims will make your rig look that much better. At the end of the day what is more important than tires. As they say that is where the rubber meets the road...

---------
1996 Scamp 16
HighPlainsDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires