Article on Boondocking Safety - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2014, 09:11 AM   #21

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
A mountain lion was killed by a car in Connecticut. It was from South Dakota.
So, the car was from South Dakota...

Had it escaped from a police impound yard?
Why did it attack the mountain lion?

Was it a Cougar in a jealous fit of rage, wanting revenge for the deceased abandoning their children (Bobcat and Lynx) and running off with a Jaguar?

Or was it just a Wildcat with a tiger in its tank and a chip in its computer?

Who knows what evil lurks in hearts of automobiles? The Shadow knows!
Attached Images

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 09:37 AM   #22

Registry
When boondocking you must be careful when approaching wildlife of all kinds.....
Is it a harmless duck or a fearsome viper?
(same emblem)
Attached Thumbnails
Color%20066+1.jpg   Color%20066.jpg  

Old 09-26-2014, 09:44 AM   #23

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
So, the car was from South Dakota...

Had it escaped from a police impound yard?
Why did it attack the mountain lion?
Was it a Cougar in a jealous fit of rage, wanting revenge for the deceased abandoning their children (Bobcat and Lynx) and running off with a Jaguar?

Or was it just a Wildcat with a tiger in its tank and a chip in its computer?

Who knows what evil lurks in hearts of automobiles? The Shadow knows!
Floyd, Love the humor. I'll try to be more careful.

I thought it was interesting that they would check the Lion's DNA to determine from what group it came, more interesting that they believed it had came from SD. There must be a DNA data base for Mountain Lions.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 09:58 AM   #24

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Floyd, Love the humor. I'll try to be more careful.

I thought it was interesting that they would check the Lion's DNA to determine from what group it came, more interesting that they believed it had came from SD. There must be a DNA data base for Mountain Lions.
No criticism intended... Just "kitten" around.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:16 AM   #25

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Three of us had a mountain lion follow us for close to two hours hiking around Estes park. It was just random quick glimpses 100' off in the tree line. It was probably just curious, but I was damn happy to get back to my truck.

We had to restrain the one idiot that wanted to run back. We explained we appreciated his sacrifice, but if he wanted to make it fun for the cat, we would appreciate it if he headed AWAY from the truck so the remaining two of us didn't interrupt the cats snack time while we tried to get to the truck. He walked.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 08:14 AM   #26

Name: Tom
Michigan
Wolves, now protected, have made a big comeback in MI's Upper Peninsula. The DNR says the population is somewhere around 650. The deer herd is noticeably lower. I asked the DNR how many deer the wolves kill and eat, and the answer surprised me. It averaged one deer killed per week, per wolf. That means approx 33,800 deer killed by the wolf population in the U.P. alone. Last year a controversial wolf hunt was allowed, but only 22 wolves were taken by hunters. I think it was a concession by the DNR that wolves are becoming a problem. The locals (Yoopers) have known that for some time. One store sells a T-shirt that shows a rifle with smoke coming from the muzzle with " Wolves... Smoke a Pack a Day" printed below.

I hunt with wolves nearby, but seldom see them. I've only been concerned one time. I was walking from an open field to a tree line. When I got within 100 feet of it 3 or 4 wolves appeared and spread out. They started barking at me. They sounded like any other big dog would when defending their turf. That surprised me because I've only ever heard wolves howl before. I believe they were on a kill and didn't want company. My thumb instinctively went to my safety, and I changed direction. They went about their business.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 08:50 AM   #27

Name: Norm and Ginny
Florida
Our young grandson is a hunter. This year he was in his tree stand in the pre-dawn morning and sounded his new deer call. The response he received was the howling of numerous coyote's approaching from multiple directions. He stayed quiet recording them until they dispersed with the Sun. Of course he was more interested than frightened, but certainly surprised bu the number.

He had a more frightening experience last year while bow hunting in his tree stand. He heard a rifle being fired in the distance, u usual during bow season. He did not get a deer and dismounted from the tree to return to his truck.

As he approached the truck he heard shouts in his direction to get down and show his hands. It was the local swat team in full gear summoned by someone who had heard the gun shot.

Now he was scared, by numerous heavily armed, armored police in battle gear all because some one had fired a rifle. After many nervous minutes, one of the officers recognized our grandson and had all the officers stand down.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking