Attaching the table to the wall? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2016, 01:13 PM   #1

Name: Britney
Trailer: Boler
Saskatchewan
Question Attaching the table to the wall?

Hi! I bought a 1971 boler project and have ordered a table mounting kit from Scamp. We figured out how it all works however there is a piece of wood under the window in the way when the table swings up. We want to replace it with something sturdy and wider to attach the table hardware. I have seen this done in pictures but does anyone know how to get that piece out without making a mess of the wall around it? The previous owner who started the project has already painted the interior and we aren't sure what its been painted with. It feels flexable and kind of rubbery, any ideas on what kind of paint this could be?
Attached Thumbnails
b.jpg  
britneydawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 01:06 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
Hi Britney;

I see no-one has answered you yet so I will tell you what I did on my Boler in case it helps.

I did a dinette conversion on mine so I had a similar situation to solve except mine was at the front.

I beefed up the "shelf" by sistering up a piece 1/4" ply. I varnished that to match my table but it was also to strengthen the existing wood there.

That wood was glassed in on mine so I didn't want to mess with removing it.

If you are talking about the rubbery insulation in the Boler, it is more than likely the original Ensolite. Popular opinion tends to favor keeping it if it is at all salvageable. Easy to paint over. Your paint could be acrylic.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Boler - New Table 012.jpg   Boler - New Table 011.jpg  

CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 01:57 PM   #3

Saskatchewan
Thanks! That does help me a bit. I've been thinking my answer is probably going to be cleaning up what is in there and maybe just adding pieces underneath where I need them. I'll attach a picture of the table hardware from a scamp, the top brackets are just too wide for whats there. And the paint I gave it trying to match, repainted the interior this week. I'd rather bright white and clean instead of off-white anyway. We repaired a few things with calking before the paint and I'm impressed with how nice it all came out in the end.
Attached Thumbnails
untitled1.png  
Old 01-29-2016, 02:10 PM   #4

Registry
OK. I see you bought that other style of table attachment.

My rear table was attached with a bracket the same style as I used on my front table as pictured.

From your photo above I thought we were talking about the same thing.

Still, like you said, you could just sister up some timber underneath what you have to make it wide enough and sturdy enough to mount your hinge/brackets.

Good luck.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:37 AM   #5

Name: Sylvio
Trailer: 1975 Boler
Quebec
Clive,

Your answer gives me some ideas to avoid changing the wooden piece altogether. I'll be visiting my trailer this afternoon and see if your solution is enough for now. That'd be really nice... So thanks for posting!
Uncle Cereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 05:55 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Cereal View Post
Clive,

Your answer gives me some ideas to avoid changing the wooden piece altogether. I'll be visiting my trailer this afternoon and see if your solution is enough for now. That'd be really nice... So thanks for posting!
No problem; glad to help.

Let us know how it works out?
Old 02-12-2016, 02:00 PM   #7

Saskatchewan
Well, its done! The ends of the plywood on the wall were gross and swollen from maybe moisture or something? So we took them off as nice as we could(I wish it was a little cleaner of a cut but I guess its 45 year old plywood) and added an extra piece of bamboo from the table on top of the plywood. Now that its painted to match the wall its not too bad. Without this mounting hardware set-up there is no way I could move the heavy bamboo table up and down by myself. Very happy with it. Thanks a million for those pictures!
Attached Thumbnails
table.jpg  
Old 02-14-2016, 03:01 PM   #8

Registry
That table looks really nice.

Glad it worked out for you.