Atwood hydroflame heater - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2017, 10:58 PM   #1

Name: pat
Trailer: MITY LITE
British Columbia
Atwood hydroflame heater

Just picked this up hardly used for 25.00 LOL . Internal blower hose was plugged with remains of an animal stash/nest ! Cleared it out and it now heats nicely. BUT the blower motor squeaked so I added oil to the axle on either side. No more squeak only slight when I shut down the heater. Short term or do I need to get closer to the motor axle to clean it properly or will the oil do the trick ? Thanks !
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2016-11-20 at 4.05.52 PM.jpg  
spaghettiroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:13 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Don't know if yours is the same as mine, but mine had a "lifetime" bearing. And when it started to squeak, that was the end of its lifetime. Motor was replaced under warranty ( 2 years ).
Old 04-19-2017, 11:16 PM   #3

British Columbia
Mine is a1979 heater.....do you mean you had it replaced 2 yrs ago under warranty assuming yours is also older ? Thanks
Old 04-19-2017, 11:52 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
No. Mine was still under the two year warranty, and replaced several years ago.
The point being that your furnace motor may need to be replaced if squeaking, and that you can't just squirt oil on it because it is a sealed bearing.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:04 AM   #5

British Columbia
Well neither you are I are experts it seems and it no longer squeaks ! So I'll wait for others to comment. Thanks !
Old 04-20-2017, 03:27 AM   #6

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
I had the same heater with the same problem years ago. The sealed bearings are sealed and if they squeak they are no good. If your grease job took care of the job, great, It may have been just rust on shaft.
By the way experts usually get paid, Glen and I are just giving free advice.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:39 AM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Gerry, and a little earl can't hurt
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:42 AM   #8

British Columbia
For the record I used oil not grease. I put the heater on its side and let oil run down the axle and disappear into the motor. I repeated on the other side. I used about 10 drops per side. It no longer squeaks.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:03 AM   #9

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Asking members for input then criticizing them, why would anyone bother.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:06 AM   #10

Name: Tom
Trailer: Outfitter truck campper
Colorado
Not sure what these bearings look like, but I do know that on many automotive sealed bearings you can pop off the plastic seal on one side of the bearing and add grease. Not saying you should do this if the bearing is bad. But some guys have been known to add grease to new sealed bearings, as sometimes the factory can be a little stingy with the grease. If you can get to these bearings, you might see if you can open them up for a little exploratory surgery!
TomandCallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:14 AM   #11

British Columbia
FYI no harm intended to anyone. Just trying to recycle when all possible and don't mind taking it apart if I have to. I'm guessing what I did was a short term solution if that as best. Thank you to all who know much more that I !
Old 04-20-2017, 09:18 AM   #12

Name: J Ronald
Trailer: Casita 17 ft. Liberty Deluxe
North Carolina
Lubing. sealed bearings

If you can see a plastic seal on the bearing you can lube it. I do not remember where I bought them but I bought a set of sturdy hypodermic like needles with a grease fitting on one end. I used wheel bearing grease. The sharp needle will slide between the outer race or penetrate the plastic seal. We had a poultry farm and each feed line had a captive bearing. These bearings became noisy so I lubed them this way and with heavy use this grease would last for more than 1 yr. I think I got the needles at an sometime parts store. Otherwise I agree, new motor. Good luck.
J Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:21 PM   #13

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaghettiroad View Post
Just picked this up hardly used for 25.00 LOL . Internal blower hose was plugged with remains of an animal stash/nest ! Cleared it out and it now heats nicely. BUT the blower motor squeaked so I added oil to the axle on either side. No more squeak only slight when I shut down the heater. Short term or do I need to get closer to the motor axle to clean it properly or will the oil do the trick ? Thanks !
:had the same one and when I oiled it still squeaked so found a dealer around 18th and Commercial drive, they told me cannot buy that motor any longer so ended up buying a new furnace for $500.00 and installed it my self, ended up giving the old one away for parts. I really just wanted to get the shaft so it did not squeak as it worked really well.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:55 PM   #14

North Carolina
Squeaky bearings.

Oil will not fix it, only grease.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:22 PM   #15

British Columbia
Interesting how far you can go to save a motor !

Old 04-21-2017, 02:18 AM   #16

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Ron View Post
Oil will not fix it, only grease.
:sorry to tell u this but the guys who repaired them to use Baby Oil? not grease which I had been using.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:18 AM   #17

British Columbia
Baby oil ? Now I'm really confused...I did try the other members suggestion ; grease in a needle down the axle...couldn't jam the needle very far to make any impact. me thinks taking the thing apart or a new motor is the only way to go.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:24 AM   #18

North Carolina
Oil is not a fix. The man in the posted video got it right. These are not sealed bearings aa earlier stated. I serviced large computers for a living and have fixed many blower motors like this and never had to go back because the motor failed. I have tried oil with no success but grease always worked. The grease is absorbed by the bronze bushing and will last longer than you will use the camper.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:06 AM   #19

British Columbia
So do I need to open up the motor ? Was injecting standard bearing grease enough ; didn't seem to penetrate very far....? My bet is you're going to tell me to open up the motor or get a new motor. Thanks for the input BTW
Old 04-21-2017, 09:27 AM   #20

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
If it's not squeaking and is running the run it!
Of you wanted to go the the trouble to take it all apart and pull the bearings and soak then in hot oil for a day you would be good as new assuming the motor was not destroyed in the process.
I did a 1966 Pontiac heater motor by drilling a small hole through the bearing Housing and through the bearing for an oil hole and it only worked until the car was scrapped.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote