Awning/canopy question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2006, 11:50 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
Thumbs up

I was just over looking at that vintage trailer site someone posted, and I saw a lot of those little trailers with attaached "rooms" or canopys, etc. proped up to the door, over the roof, etc.
I am wondering what would work next to a scamp? I want something right out my door with a roof on it. I was thinking simple like a sport awning, a pop up something or another that just pops up and is set in less than a minute. I have no awning on my Scamp, and it is only me camping so this has to be simple so that I can do it.
Anyone have any ideas? Would I be smarter to spend the bucks and go with an awning attached to the Scamp? A pop up screen room is cheap enough, but I would have to cut a hole in it to get into the Scamp.
What do you all use if you have no awning attached to your RV?

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 12:13 AM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

I have an "Ezi-up" 10' x 10' canopy/screen room, that we used to use before I had the awning installed. The Fiber Stream I have is raised (on a high-lift axle) so the top of the trailer's door was higher than the roof of the screen room. I just had to set it up next to the trailer, but couldn't line it up to be "attached", even though the screen room has "door" zippers on opposite sides.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:26 AM   #3

Trailer: 35 ft Park Model
I'd definitely go with an awning first, and then I'd buy an "add-a-room" if I wanted.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 07:11 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm with Rick....awning and attachable screen room.

Frederick, I have an Ez-Up...but I can't put it up by myself. Well I suppose I could, if I had an hour or two to walk around and around pulling the legs out a bit at a time. How do you get yours up by yourself??

Karalyn, I've seen pop up screen rooms with two doors.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 12:15 PM   #5

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Hi, sometimes on my small Boler I use a pop-up type dining tent with flaps and put it close enough to the Boler to have one of the flaps, on a tent entry side, reach the roof of the trailer and could have 2 ropes, attached to the pole holes in the flap corners, go over the trailer to anchor on the other side....this way you have the flap/awning between the screen house and trailer......if my better half was traveling by herself, I`d suggest an awning that is permanently mounted on the trailer with arms and sets up in a couple minutes....some times you may need an extra hand with no one around.....more bucks but probably well worth it......pic of our Boler with a screen tent flap attached on my web shots site listed at bottom of my post....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 07:33 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
Frederick, I have an Ez-Up...but I can't put it up by myself. Well I suppose I could, [b]if I had an hour or two to walk around and around pulling the legs out a bit at a time. How do you get yours up by yourself??
You just answered your own question.
It takes me about 20 minutes to set up the canopy part, and another hour+ to attach the screen!
Old 02-23-2006, 08:51 PM   #7

Trailer: 2000 8240 Trail-Lite
Quote:
You just answered your own question.
It takes me about 20 minutes to set up the canopy part, and another hour+ to attach the screen!
When we had our Scamp I ordered an awning directly from the company. It was sent UPS and I was able to install it myself. It worked very well but had one flaw. The unit sat about 1.5 inches off the camper so when it rained you still had water running down the side. I took care of this by placing a plastic tarp over the camper and the awning which actually gave us a larger covered area. I was quite satisfied with the awning.
Lyle Brumm is offline   Reply With Quote