Awning Disappointing - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2014, 02:15 PM   #1

Name: Joel
Trailer: Cloud
Florida
Registry
Awning Disappointing

My ''72 Cloud has been done for some time now and I've taken it on several short trips. All the bugs are out except for my very disappointing Shademaker bag awning. The bag apparently isn't really water tight (the zipper is neatly on the bottom so that isn't the problem) but everytime I get ready to use the camper, I have to spend 1/2 a day scrubbing the mold and mildew off my awning. It has about a dozen bright pink stains from one particular type of mold. It has several large rust stains because of the rivets and brackets. The poles are aluminum, but the rivets and parts holding the poles together is cheap stuff that rusts easily. This awning isn't even a year old and it's been doing this since day one. If you need an awning, don't buy one of these.
cannibal53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 03:16 PM   #2

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Dear cannibal 53,

I have a shademaker in my scamp 13 and the bag takes on water too. I loved this awning on my pop up camper and never had a problem with it. I believe it's because our awnings in FG cpers are facing up more or less due to the trailer contours and positioning of the stitching seams at the top. Here's what may be the problem: went up there last night and Ran a bead if clear silicone rift near the stitching. Just right Bedford it because I've noticed that due to the bags position being more or less upright, the bag itself is "Puckering" where it meets the stitching vinyl. Although not sure because I'm awaiting a good rain I think water us seeping in there. I ran my finger over the silicone and tried to force it into the "puckers". I'll let you know if this works.

They're an inexpensive awning as awnings go but I always loved it with my pop up. Have you tried bleach cleaner spray to clean it?

Wendy
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 03:17 PM   #3

New York
Registry
Sorry typing on my phone. Words are of and before the stitching. Hope you can make out the rest if my poor thumb work on this phone!
Old 06-21-2014, 03:18 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We have one, and yes the awning does get wet when rolled up in the bag. Don't know how that happens but it does. Only way to prevent it would be to remove the awning when not using the trailer but that defeats the purpose of having the bag awning.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 03:28 PM   #5

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Suggestion.
Clean your awning really good once. Wipe both sides down with concrobium and let it dry. Then roll it up and see what happens.
If successful, you might have to do it once a year. Maybe before off season storage.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:03 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I know of zero awnings that don't get wet during storage during the rainy season. Even my expensive Dometic/A&E/Fiamma case awning (whatever you want to call it!) ... the case leaks during rain storms or outside storage. Fortunately the awning fabric is mildew "resistant" which is different than mildew PROOF.

Whatever issue I may have with the awning, year-over-year or season-over-season. I'm glad I have it. This is merely a maintenance issue for me. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:20 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
And, if you are going to use 30 Seconds, Scrubbing Bubbles or anything else containing bleach ( which is what will kill the mildew ), make sure you rinse thoroughly. If your awning is sewn with cotton thread, it will fall apart if not rinsed really well.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:01 AM   #8

New York
Registry
Roy,

Gotta say, that Concrobium is great stuff and I'm ever so grateful to you for mentioning it here.

I used it on the white caulking above my belly band. Concrobium Stain Eraser. Very mildewy and spotted. First time was good. Second application great!

It says to not use in bright sun though. I left it on for the 3 hours recommended.

Also...I caulked the seams of my bag awning as a hypothesis to the cause of water inside and it still takes on water. No mildew yet though, last time I took awning out. Before season ends, I'd like to try the spray bottle version if Concrobium and let it dry on as a precaution before winter storage. Then take awning off trailer when I actually have her holed up for the long, depressing WNY winter. ugh

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-18-2014, 06:31 AM   #9

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Why not install some air holes in the bag bottom to allow air, that should let the rain out and the air in to handle the problem.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:43 AM   #10

New York
Registry
Hi CPAHarley,
I thought of that previously but did not do it because the bag that the awning sits in is made of vinyl, and I was afraid that introducing holes would cause an area prone to tears.
I could get a grommet tool...but the area where the water runs out is right at a 90 degree corner, where the length of the bag and the width meet. If I put a grommet on the rear of the bag (near FG), it would scratch the shell.
Now you got me thinkin...maybe I could just punch a hole in it with a hole punch or similar tool, and then reinforce AROUND the hole with some of that Vinyl repair tape I have called "Tear Aid."
Whatcha think?

Wendy
Old 08-18-2014, 06:48 AM   #11

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
That should work, otherwise the mold will weaken the material eventually.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:30 AM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
If you really want a hole burn it through with a soldering Iron. or cigarette or a stick with an ember end. it will self heal the fabric so it doesn't tear out easily. just make sure you do it with the awning deployed so you don't burn the awning fabric. The zippers are not sealed and water should drain from there. That wont dry out the top of the bag. I don't leave my Shade Maker awning on unless I am traveling. For long term storage I have rear sliding window so I store it inside the trailer.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning