awning fabric - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2014, 08:55 PM   #1

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
awning fabric

We have had several discussions centred around awnings and canopies already - but here is a question for you all. What sort of fabric is your awning made of. Many of the ones I've seen on stick built trailers look as if they are made of some sort of synthetic canvas like material - a bit like the fabric used on camp chairs, but 'prettier'. I have seen them leaking..

The one that came with our Trillium is made of a material rather like my raincoat - fairly heavy rubbery/plastic like stuff. It would need to be ripped in order to leak. It probably isn't 'original' as it is longer than the rail the rope goes through.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:11 PM   #2

Name: Gage
Trailer: 13' Burro
California
You'll find that most of your quality awnings are made of sunbrella (or should be).
gage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:29 PM   #3

Name: Diane
Trailer: Bigfoot
Oregon
Most awnings are made from acrylic or vinyl or a combination of both. Sunbrella is a trade name for sun resistant acrylic fabric. The awning on my Bigfoot is made of vinyl.
sodapopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:55 PM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Hazel, My awning on 45-1101043 sounds like it is made of the same material as yours. Mine is in the Trillium brochure, so I think it is original.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:36 PM   #5

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
You need to be careful as to how your awning is made in order to perform well in the rain. Our portable sun shade collects water on top as it is not made like an umbrella. It is very tricky to remove the water without getting soaked.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:47 PM   #6

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
...............Our portable sun shade collects water on top as it is not made like an umbrella. It is very tricky to remove the water without getting soaked.
Problem solved.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:08 PM   #7

Saskatchewan
I checked with a fabric store who said they didn't carry Sunbrella - it would have been interesting to have seen some. I'm not planning on sewing a new awning anyway.

Our awning extends past the end of the channel for the rope so we have a foot of 'spare stuff' on each end. Not sure what that is about! We bought some flexible tent poles and are trying to think of ways to use them like in your photo Gage.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:34 PM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Most stock trailer awnings are made of a heavy vinyl. Custom awnings made by people such as Marti's Trailer Awnings who does hundreds of custom awnings for the vintage trailer crowd as well as a number of fiberglass trailer owners here uses Sunbrella and Dickson fabrics.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:39 PM   #9

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
It would be nice to have a water catchment system built into an awning. On boats I've used awnings for this. Let a little run off to clean things and then open the fill valve.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:50 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Sailor View Post
It would be nice to have a water catchment system built into an awning. On boats I've used awnings for this. Let a little run off to clean things and then open the fill valve.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Just dropping one side down lower than the other does the trick on mine, no water build up on it even in your typical west coast down pour.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:14 PM   #11

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel in Sk View Post
We bought some flexible tent poles and are trying to think of ways to use them like in your photo Gage.
Sew a pocket at each corner and then a velcro strap in the middle to hold the fiberglass polls together.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:38 PM   #12

Saskatchewan
Gage - you are full of helpful hints! We are heading out tomorrow for a few days in the northern woods so will try out what we have and see what we need to do to make any improvements.

Another thing I wondered aboutis - if you sew an awning with Sunbrella material how do you seal the seams? It seems to me that everywhere the needle went through the fabric there would be a wee hole that could allow water through.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:11 AM   #13

Name: Anne
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
I bought fabric at Joann's yesterday because they were having 50% off outdoor fabrics. They don't have Sunbrella, but Solarium is similar. Sunbrella is acrylic and Solarium is polyester. Both are more resistant to UV deterioration than nylon (most commonly used for tents), and are additionally treated to resist UV. I got the Solarium for $10/yd. The best price I found (online) for Sunbrella was $21/yd. I need a minimum of 5 yards for the 7ft square awning I plan to make.
The most common seams are french or flat fell seams (think of the double seam on the outside of your jeans). Sailrite recommends a kind of basting tape to hold the fabric together that you also sew through which helps to seal the holes made by the needle. That is also the function of the seam sealer liquid that we treat our tents with.
Fire-N-Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:24 AM   #14

Registry
I have done a fair amount of sewing of outdoor fabrics. Use outdoor thread such as the Coats brand. Its a pretty thick and not so flexible thread so you need to use a big needle at last a 16 but 18 or 20 is even better if you have one of them. Also make the stitches as long as you can 6 stitches per inch is good. Some home machines will only do 8 but that will work as well. You may need to increase your top stitch tension a little bit and go *slow*!!
Old 07-19-2014, 08:57 PM   #15

Saskatchewan
Thank you!
Old 07-19-2014, 11:23 PM   #16

Name: John
Trailer: '84 Bigfoot b17
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gage View Post
Problem solved.
Gage, is that your nice green and white awning? Did you make it?
Looks great! Does someone make these on spec or just find a local talent with a good sewing machine?
Thanks,
John
Tyhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 12:09 AM   #17
Commercial Member

Name: Jeremy
Trailer: Compact Jr and Teardrop Trailer
Washington
That one was made by Marti's Awnings.

Marti's Vintage Trailer Awnings

Jeremy
rainjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:28 AM   #18

California
Yep, Marti made that one, although she has made two for me. The one pictured above is a friend of mine because I haven't got a pic showing the bows. Below pic is mine.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:39 AM   #19

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Hey Gage, how does it handle in heavier downpours? I prefer the vintage style awnings but i guess mine is too saggy....perhaps thats a plan!

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:49 PM   #20

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Hey Gage, how does it handle in heavier downpours? ...........................
You got to be kidding, I live in California.

Tags
awning