Awning for U Haul Camper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2015, 01:40 PM   #1

Name: Gene
Trailer: U Haul 1984
Kansas
Awning for U Haul Camper

Wanting to install a pull-out awning on a 1984 U Haul camper. What awning works best and how do I attach it to the fiberglass shell? My wife insists on an awning, so would really appreciate some recommendations that help me avoid a long research project. Thanks in advance! Gene
Geno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 01:58 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
first thing we did was to replace an existing damaged awning rail with a new one. Then had a custom made rope & pole awning made. Didn't like that so sold it and bought a Shademaker bag awning. Problem is for that short trailer I had to go with their "Classic" model rather than the "Supreme" which is better. Have since found that it may be possible to get the Supreme custom made in 7'. Note this is not a pull out, you have to unroll it by hand, extend vertical poles and rafter poles, and BE SURE to stake it down. About $200 for the awning. I have seen a rollout type on a 13' Scamp so it can be done. Are you on the Uhaul Facebook group?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0289.jpg   IMG_0290.jpg  

mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 10:00 AM   #3

Name: Heather
Trailer: Burro
Michigan
Awning Rail

We had about 100 post thread about this on the U-Haul camper page on Facebook this week. Tom Griebe has an amazing solution where you don't have to drill holes into your fiberglass. He's from the auto industry so many of his things through his work have transferred over to our U-hauls. If you take the awning rail and attach that you could use a slide in awning as opposed to a pullout awning. An awning rail is about 16$ and you don't have to damage the fiberglass.
heaheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 10:22 AM   #4

Name: joe
Trailer: burro 1982
Tennessee
awning

Mary and Bob. How is the rail attached to the fiberglass? Is it attached with rivets? I have a1982 Burro 13 ft. Never has had an awning. I am apprehensive about drilling holes in my Burro. Would V H B tape work to hold the slide in rail? I don't mind the classic shade maker. Thanks, in advance. Joe
eagle of flight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 11:05 AM   #5

New York
Attaching the awning rail is another of those controversial topics, with varying opinions, and a search here will find you some of those ideas. But what I did and it worked for me is I used 3/16 pop rivets, I did not put butyl tape under the rail, but I did put a little Proflex RV Sealant on each hole before inserting the rivet and then a little more on the rivet head after seating it. I have since learned from another member here, Wendy, who got it from Scamp, that it is best to use a "peel" type rivet as they spread out more, putting the stress over a slightly larger area. For the area where I could get at the inside of the shell I put a washer on the rivet. Peel rivets are available from McMaster Carr. I know of a couple Uhaul owners that used the VHB tape with good results, but I'm more of a nuts & bolts guy so just didn't feel comfortable with the tape. A couple things about the Shademaker Awning; under 8' length only the Classic is available. It has the cheaper twist to lock poles and rafters. There is also a spring loaded center rafter that I bought too. The Supreme model has slide poles and rafters that I like better, but supposedly it is not available shorter than 8' (check this on their site). I have since heard the Supreme can be special ordered (call them direct to confirm) in a shorter length but if done so then the projection length, the distance from the trailer out, will be less. Possibly 6' instead of 7'. Another issue that Wendy and I have found, is that water gets into the bag somehow when the awning is rolled in. If you go this route, be sure to stake down the poles when the awning is set up. I had ours out at home just to dry it and a slight breeze took it right over the top of the trailer because it wasn't staked. I also rigged up a way to use tie down ropes on it.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:08 AM   #6

New York
Somehow this thread got double posted, hope an Administrator can combine them. I didn't see a big discussion on the Facebook page, don't know how I missed it.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:20 PM   #7

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I riveted mine as well, using a rivet in every 3rd hold of the rail, and riveting in the two end holes at each end of the rail. Butyl caulk underneath.
Its been there for 4years now.
I use a rope/pole awning, but could consider a bag awning if they came in better colors (like orange).
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:37 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
An orange awning will do nothing for your complexion.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:18 PM   #9

New York
theres a little orange in our bag awning
Old 03-29-2015, 07:33 PM   #10

Name: jeffrey
Trailer: UHAULct - 13FT. - 1984
Georgia
awning

we have 1984 CT-13 also. This will be the first full summer of use . I bought an 8x14 tarp(silver) for $8.00 at harbor frieght tools ,,two coleman stake and rope kits at Wal-mart for $8.oo (could have easily made myself) ,Two 8' aluminum poles (from inventory) and simply tie the tarp(8' side) over roof & in front of the A/C - roof ridge ... and easily have a HUGE DRY / SHADED area to function in /at the camper ! AND ....CHEAP!.... this will do untill I find a more permanant solution. I did mount two "eye" hooks to make it easier / faster to put up / take down... eye Hooks are located at the top front & top rear on the "join seam" , and carefully positioned,drilled,W/washers...then just a short rope is needed at each top end of tarp to secure to top of camper and no tie down ropes rubbing on camper or in front of windows are needed.Plus it is a ONE person setup job..... 8 x 14 is HUGE ! (for a little camper). the 6' & 7' wide x 8' out are just too small since we "camp" outside the camper more than in it ! (sleep) In a heavy rain / high winds we just break the 8' poles to 4' poles and we STILL have 1/2 use of picnic table a space to cook. (no outward view , but it is a storm at this point!) no photos of this, but first trip out I will take some shots so Y'ALL can take some cheap shots at me !!! We Love our uhaul CT-13.We are retired and just need a nice place to sleep and drink coffee and tea.... with shelter if it RAINS .
jeffreygresch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:57 PM   #11

New York
This is our solution for rainy days, shade, eating shelter, sitting. Screen room with sides to close it in.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0354.jpg  
Old 04-02-2015, 03:24 PM   #12

Name: Adam
Trailer: In the market
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by heaheath View Post
We had about 100 post thread about this on the U-Haul camper page on Facebook this week. Tom Griebe has an amazing solution where you don't have to drill holes into your fiberglass. He's from the auto industry so many of his things through his work have transferred over to our U-hauls. If you take the awning rail and attach that you could use a slide in awning as opposed to a pullout awning. An awning rail is about 16$ and you don't have to damage the fiberglass.
Is there any way you could direct me to this post. I joined the Facebook group but i can't seem to find the thread with toms awning suggestions

thanks
Adam
adcarvings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 04:25 PM   #13

New York
I was in contact with Tom about Heather's comment. Tom only had a post about window awnings, NOT a full awning.
Old 04-02-2015, 05:33 PM   #14

Name: Heather
Trailer: Burro
Michigan
Hmmmm, I will go back and look, I belong to several groups so I may have been mistaken. I will try and find it and let you know.
heaheath is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning