Awning help - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2015, 06:16 PM   #1

Name: J and V
Trailer: 71 Boler
British Columbia
Awning help

Hello
We have a 1972 Boler and I have some great canvas that I would like to make an awning out of but I am not sure how to attach it to my Boler. We have the metal strip on the roof top to base it to but I would appreciate any advice on how to do that.
Val
in Maple Ridge BC
jandv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 06:31 PM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
What you should have is a metal channel that is narrower at the opening then it is in the middle. You wrap your canvas around a cord of suitable size and sew it closed. Then you feed this into one end of the channel. It should grip the awning when you pull it tight. Is that clear? I should get more sleep.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:04 PM   #3

British Columbia
That sounds very do-able. I guess I need to hunt down the perfect type of chord.
Old 02-20-2015, 02:03 AM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandv View Post
That sounds very do-able. I guess I need to hunt down the perfect type of chord.
As the channel is about a 1/4", 1/8th or maybe 3/16th would be max thickness depending on the fabric you're using. I've had my awning on the class A get kind of thread bare when it's rolled up from the sun. I pulled the vinyl fabric off the frame and cut 6" off at the top and sewed/hemmed the cord back in. Got another few years out of it before having to replace the vinyl. The cord in it was a plastic, kind of like what a string trimmer uses.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:25 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
There is a very easy way to do this, just buy and sew this to your canvas ... instant awning. Keder Awning Rope White 5/16"
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:40 AM   #6

British Columbia
Wow, that is exactly what I was looking for. Will have to measure and see if the 5/16th width will fit my rail. Thanks so much

Val
Old 02-20-2015, 09:54 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
I am sure you will find the 5/16 the correct size. The rails are designed to accept a 1/4" cord wrapped with the material. Just take a 5/16" drill bit and see if it fits the channel
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:16 AM   #8

British Columbia
So many great ideas. Thanks. You guys are awesome.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:14 AM   #9

Trailer: 2007 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
And if you want to add smaller awnings over windows, along with the cording you can also get the plastic tracks from Sailrite, use 3M car molding tape to hold it on place. A bit of PVC and canvas and you are done!

Awning Track Flanged White 96"
Attached Thumbnails
Our Awning 6 small.jpg  
Fran L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 11:58 AM   #10

Name: Rich
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13D
Minnesota
Fran-

Thanks for posting this great solution. It's just what I was looking for.

-Rich
Rich G. and Val F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 04:47 PM   #11

Trailer: 2007 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich G. and Val F. View Post
Fran-

Thanks for posting this great solution. It's just what I was looking for.

-Rich
Your are welcome! I got the idea from another Escape owner. Here are the instructions I wrote up and it includes the parts list. Plus another photo or two to make it clearer.

I don't have any pattern but I made my awnings by looking closely at the photos that I posted from the other Escape owner. It is pretty easy to figure out the system from the photos and trailers have different size windows.Here is a How To guide and parts list:

1) Track & Rope: The track comes in 4’ and 8’ lengths.Figure out what length(s) you need.The track can be cut.And, if necessary you can butt multiple lengths of track together to cover large areas or use leftover track.The rope comes by the foot.Order the track and sufficient roping for the widths of the windows you are planning to cover.
Sailrite Enterprises, Inc.
2390 East 100 South
Columbia City, IN 46725

Sailrite.com
260-244-4647 – 800-348-2769
This is what I ordered to do the back window and the windows on both sides over the dinette and kitchen.Total cost was about $55.
Part # 100380 Awning Track Flanged White 48”QTY 3 pieces Price each $8.50
Part# 102549 Keder Awning Rope White 5/16”QTY 12 feetPrice per foot $1.20
Shipping about $15

Estimate where you will place the track on the trailer so you can judge the fabric length you will need.You can mount the track either before making the awning or after but it is important to know where it will be in order to figure out lengths of fabric and PVC pipe.

2) Fabric: I used a nice grade canvas from the local fabric store.Measure the width you are interested in covering and estimate how far out you want the awning to go. If you are doing windows then you want the awning to be long enough so that it covers the window when the awning is dropped down...makes a great light blocker at night! Add sufficient material to allow for about a 2" hem on the top and sides (plus enough to fold over the selvage where necessary maybe another ˝ inch). Leave a larger amount for the bottom because that is where you will make a sleeve to run the pvc pipe through...so maybe leave 3 inches.(We did not do a fringe of any kind.)Always better to have a little more fabric than you think you will need!

3) Other stuff you need to buy:
A roll of 3m Automotive Super Strength Molding tape7/8” width.It is super strong double sided tape used for putting molding on cars.It has red backing strip on it that you remove when ready to mount.You can get it at most Automotive Parts stores. The roll I got had 15’ of tape which is plenty.You will use this to mount the track to the trailer.

PVC Pipe – ˝” Schedule 40.You will need enough for the width of the awning(s) plus the side arms to hold the awning out from the trailer (if you are doing windows)….plus some extra in case of a mis-measurement or bad cut.The pipe that goes the width of the awning will need a few inches extra to extend outside the awning fabric and attach to the side arms.
You will also need 2 right angle elbows and 2 end caps for each window.

Also 2 suction cups per window to fasten to the end caps.I bought Adams Manufacturing 3-Pack 1-3/4-Inch Suction Cup Hook, Medium for about $3 each from Amazon.

PVC cement

Optional: Wood dowels of a diameter to just fit inside the PVC pipe – this will prevent the PVC from warping over time.

4) Hem both sides and the top.Sew the cording onto the finished top edge.Do not hem the bottom until you confirm the length you want the awning to be by placing the fabric up at the windows where the track will be and measuring.Once you have determined the length, hem the bottom - leaving the side ends open so you can thread the PVC through.

6) Cut you PVC pipe for the bottom and the arms after measuring to see how long they need to be to accommodate the awning.Take into account the elbows and the end caps and make sure you have a flat place where the suction cups will end up...sometimes there is stuff in the way.

7) Glue the elbows onto the ARMS, not the bottom PVC pipe…you want to be able to thread the PVC through the bottom sleeve of the awning and the elbows would make that hard.

8) Take the hooks off the suction cups and measure the width of the ‘button’ that held the hooks.Drill out a small hole in the end of the end caps just a bit smaller than the ‘button’ on the suction cups.Push the button through the hole and glue it in place using some Gorilla Glue or similar.Then glue the end caps on the PVC arms.

9) Slide the awning onto the track, insert the bottom PVC (and the dowel inside the PVC), attach the arms to the PVC, affix the suction cups to the trailer and voila!Awnings!
Attached Thumbnails
Our Awning 2.jpg  
Attached Images

Fran L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:01 PM   #12

Name: Rich
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13D
Minnesota
Fran-

Thanks so much for the kindness of posting all of these details.

I think you will see many more awnings popping up because of your guidance!

-Rich
Rich G. and Val F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:25 PM   #13

Name: Jeff
Trailer: none
Florida
If 5/16" is too large look at screen door spline. It may work.
Fiammausa.com
Jeff from Fiamma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning