Awning Ideas? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2007, 06:46 PM   #21

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft
Thanks Cindy, that's very helpful.
I went to the EZ-UP retailer today and their product seem very solid, but the one I was interested in did not have a screen attachement. and the colst is almost $300 canadian
Mo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 06:53 PM   #22

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Oh, my! Try Walmart online. The screen was about 90.00 and the wind screen was 30.00 US. We also bought the 30.00 wind screen for those times it is windy and/or we need privacy. I like to do yoga, but I don't like the campground to see me doing a headstand.
CindyL
Old 08-14-2007, 08:29 PM   #23

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
It might help clarify things if we have the right name for the screen house we just purchased. It is the First-Up, not the EZUP. The First-Up has a canopy provided and we bought the screen walls and wind screen separately. The First-Up was $79.99 at Wal-Mart, the screen walls were about $28 and the wind screen was about $37. Both the screen walls and the wind screen have two zippers - front and back. The zippered sides roll sideways if you want the front and back totally open. We are trying to work out a way to have the wind screen roll back on the sides as well, but that might take cutting the sides and installing zippers there, too.

In setting up the First-Up, the clearance from ground to the bottom of the side supports is about 6'3". This clears the door for us just fine. If you needed a bit more height, I would suggest cutting 4 pieces of wood for the corner legs, attach them with a long bolt and wingnut, and then anchor the wood to the ground with long tent stakes. This could add as much as you need depending on the thickness of the wood. A 4x4 or 6x6 piece would give you plenty of clearance. Of course, the side walls would not reach the ground, but you can add tarp repair stick-on grommets and long tent stakes to firm up the bottoms.

Hope this clarification helps! By the way, the web link in Cindy's message above does point to the correct gazebo by First-Up.

Kevin (husband of CindyA)
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 04:44 AM   #24

Registry
Oops, I posted the right Walmart link but used the wrong name.

Cindy
Old 08-15-2007, 11:54 AM   #25

awesome thanks.
will drop by walmart next week in Denver.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:17 PM   #26

Registry
And thank you for not buying the one that I kept naming incorrectly! !

First-Up is around 90.00 but the screen is an additional 25.00 or so. It also has a set of rope lights available and a wind screen, if you can find it. We had a hard time finding the wind screen; we looked in 3 stores before we found one. I can't find it online either, but I did find tent sides for it on ebay, if you want to swap out the sides and use it as a tent. I found a couple of sites where you can also buy single solid covers for each side that can be rolled up. The First-Up comes in 3 colors but it does not appear that the screen sides do. They seem to be only in blue, but that is what we wanted anyway.

CindyL
Old 08-16-2007, 07:40 AM   #27

yeah, Blue if what I am after as well
Old 08-16-2007, 09:30 PM   #28

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Ford Explorer
I got my awning for my 13' scamp online at this web stie:

www.Interwestsports.com

It was fairly cheap, and they also have add-a-rooms for them too. They carry the awning rail that you attach to the camper shell that the awning itself slides into. Everything I have got from them has been great, and at a very reasonable price.

Thats my suggestion... Good Luck!

Nick
mcnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:32 PM   #29

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
I went over to Wally tonite after seeing everyone using the First Ups on our last trip. They still had them at $78 so grabbed one as they are showing $92 & up everywhere else. They had the walls but no screens, although most of the camping we do isn't in bug country so we don't need those. Looks like a very sturdy and versatile unit and they sure are popular out in the field. We're leaving tomorrow for a weekend in the Flagstaff area and will report back on how it fared.

We also were able to book Labor Day weekend last nite at Grand Canyon Trailer Village which is usually booked way in advance. Maybe folks are cutting back travel.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:14 PM   #30

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
We just got back from a trip with the new First Up canopy from Wally and I give it a 10 rating.
Easy to setup and takedown. Fantastic size and sturdy. Went through several light storms over the weekend and did great. Perfect setup for the 13 footers. A leg was able to come down in front and behind the Scamp with the awning covering the door side. Then tied off on the coupler and the rear bumper. People with the big rigs kept coming by and commenting how well it went with the Scamp and asking where I got it. I told them it was our "slideout."
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:44 PM   #31

Registry
Nice to know that it withstands storms. That is why we bought ours, since our previous screen house went over in a storm and ended up with broken T-joints.
And we sure did like ours on our last trip. We just bought weights for the legs.

CindyL
Old 08-23-2007, 11:48 AM   #32

i am back from Denver and unfortunately could not drop by Walmart.
but I found it in walmart canada....
http://www.walmart.ca/wps-portal/storeloca...;categoryId=266

will go get one right now