Awning on the cheap - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-17-2014, 07:49 PM   #1

Name: Filbert
Trailer: Tote N Tarry
California
Awning on the cheap

Next project is an inexpensive awning, but the adjustable tent poles online and locally are pretty pricey, and Wal-Mart no longer carries them. I found this page online that seems perfect, cheap, and easy to make. I'm thinking of putting some self-adhesive hooks on the roof of my trailer for the grommeted 6X8 tarp, and supporting the other side with these nifty poles and some stakes and ropes. Thoughts?

Homemade tent poles

Old 03-17-2014, 08:38 PM   #2

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Followed your link and that does look interesting and should be fairly easy to make....have you priced PVC pipe yet?? It can also be pricey.

Last summer we bought replacement tent and awning poles at Academy.....some of the other sports and outdoor stores might also carry what you need.

We like to make things ourselves too,so I understand wanting to do it that way. Just throwing out some other ideas of places to look for ready made parts.

Which ever way you go remember.....we like pictures!

Old 03-17-2014, 08:45 PM   #3

California
2 poles shipped to my door was between 40-50 bucks, so this weekend I'll shop for the PVC pipe. No shortage of nuts, bolts, rope, and stakes in the garage, so we're almost there already.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:57 PM   #4

Name: Rick & Rei
Trailer: 1970 Campster
Kansas
We put a industrial velcro (hook side) strip on top of our trailer.
I bought a red tarp-sewed the other velcro piece to the end if it.
Bought red painter poles from Wal Mart. Cut the roller part off of two paint rollers and screwed the rollers to the paint poles. The grommets on the tarp fit over the metal part of the roller . Pulled tight the tarp doesnt come off.
All this work and now this year I have changed color schemes.
Bought a dark yellow e-z up style canopy. Hope this works as good as our homemade awning.
No pictures-didnt think of it at the time.
Good luck
Old 03-17-2014, 09:06 PM   #5

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Those homemade poles look nifty. I wonder, though, do you really need adjustable poles? If you have a space to store the full length poles you really don't need the adjustable ones. Basically, if you remove the screen from the back window of our FGRVs and slide the poles in and out of the trailer you've got your storage space there, presto! Here are some poles from LLBean. Adjustable Tent/Awning Pole Set: Footprints and Accessories | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean

Come summertime the stores may sell simple tarps with poles for reasonable prices. You could then replace the tarp with the covering of your choice. Grommets are easy/peasy to install with the kit and hammer. I question whether PVC pipe will keep straight and strong in hot weather.

With a tarp I'd be careful to angle it downward so it doesn't catch rain, which can get very heavy. I'd be leery of a glue-on hook. I would prefer to use a strong suction-cup anchor like these dent-pullers. Amazon.com: Generic Small Dent Puller Lifter Glass Car Suction Sucker Clamp Cup Little Mini Pad Cup Lifter: Home Improvement

Try looking at these FGRV threads before you do anything awning - Fiberglass RV - Threads Tagged with Awning

Personally, we find that a stand-alone shade like this Amazon.com: Quik Shade GO Hybrid Backpack Canopy: Sports & Outdoors serves our purposes better as we rarely camp where there is space for an attached awning. Often trees provide shade. Our backpack canopy, which cost less than $50 on sale, takes up little storage space under our table whether it's in the down or up position.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:12 PM   #6

California
Thanks for all the links. I'll read them all before I head off to work in the morning!
Old 03-17-2014, 10:53 PM   #7

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
Here's a budget awning.....

Here's an inexpensive awning from JC Whitney:

Shade Maker Rope and Pole Awning Universal Awning - JCWhitney

The reviews are good and it is all inclusive, awning, poles, track, etc.

I'm curious about the quality, if any one here has seen one please let me know.

I believe the old saying, "the cheapest man pays the most".

that is often true in the long run and I doubt this plastic awning will give the same service over the long haul that a sunbrella awning would provide.

the awning by Marti referenced in an earlier post is pretty reasonable but then you do have to go shopping for poles, track, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
post.camper.jpg  
Old 03-17-2014, 11:20 PM   #8

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
I don't know what is an acceptable amt to spend on the poles but these are $14 ea with no shipping. I bought them a year ago and I'm happy with them. Amazon states they have them as low as $6.63, so check them out.
Amazon.com: Texsport Ajustable Tent Pole: Sports & Outdoors
Old 03-18-2014, 07:10 AM   #9

California
I think the main purpose of the awning is for shade, as we have no plans of camping in stormy places. , CA is in the middle of an historic drought, so I think we'll be okay. Wind is always an issue, but we can always take it down quickly if it gets too bad, and use goggles instead! I like the Velcro strips to secure the tarp to the top of the trailer, so maybe both hooks and Velcro. I really don't want to attach an awning rail to the length of the trailer, as I'm adverse to drilling any more holes than necessary in the fiberglass. I'll post photos as soon as I get all the parts together and set it up in the carport for dry run. Thanks for all of your input. You guys and gals are great!!!!

Tags
awning