Awning or not - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-16-2010, 08:45 AM   #15

Trailer: 16 Scamp, 17 Casita, 21Bigfoot now
Registry
Just wanted to add we would not be without our awning although the Casita awning is much preferred to us over the one on our 2003 Scamp. Just works alot better. Depends on your situation but sometimes we like the privacy that the awning gives with the sides to it from RX. Doubles living area.
Not hard to put up- usually, my wife sets it up while I'm stabilizing and hooking up.
We almost always put ours up. Works for shade or rain and gives us place to hang towels sometimes too. I'd feel naked without it. Use tie downs if I'm gonna be gone or weather doesn't look good. Would have to be a hurricane to do any damage.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:12 PM   #16

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Carol, I think Cyndi is talking about the water running down and hitting the belly band, which causes it to splash. And it does. But certainly no more than if there was no awning. If it was a problem, I'd fill in the gap, which many have done successfully.
Thanks Donna, I suspect your right. Wish I lived in your part of the world. Here the awning is needed more for rain than shade :-)

As far as the amount of water that actually comes down between the awning box and the tailer it is not that great and in fact not a big deal at all. Yes the water can splash a little bit off the belly band but again its not that much and way drier than not having an awning. In fact its such an none issue I actually hardly ever put the pool noodles up to stop it. Was camping in a down pour on saturday night and was very glad to have the awning to keep the table dry.

Once I learned how to put my awning up correctly I can put it up and take it down by myself. Suspect if I had a bag awning I would not use it as much as it would take more time to put up and I'm not sure I could actually be able to do it on my own. IMO the other down side to the bag awning is finding a place to carry it when its not on the trailer - just one more loose thing to find a home for. If I did not have a boxed awning I would probable go with one of those free standing easy up tent/awnings instead as it would also need to be carried someplace other than on the trailer and I suspect it would take the same amount of time to put up as a bag awning but you get more coverage than a standard awning.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:39 PM   #17

Name: Dave (and/or John)
Trailer: Scamp 16 SD std layout 6
Georgia
Registry
I have a bag awning on my pop-up, and the optional Catalina awning on my Scamp. The bag awning is easier for me to set up and does not have a gap between the awning and the camper. Unless I'm staying at one place for an extended time I rarely put the awning out, and even when I put it out I usually close it if we leave to ensure no winds kick up and cause any damage (We try for shady sites).
We also carry a separate screen room that we sometimes use and that provides a mobile shade plus rain/insect free zone.
If I were to order a Scamp new, it would be a tough decision, but I would probably decide to not order the Scamp awning with my Scamp.

John
Old 09-16-2010, 01:55 PM   #18

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2007 Toyota Tundra/2015 Tundra
Montana
Registry
My Awning

This is my awning at the moment. This is better then if we had hit the black bear with the Tundra the night before but not as funny as my Scientist sister-in-law, who has had John Glen do her experiments on the space shuttle, sending her chihauhua through the wash and rinse cycle. May he rest his little evil soul in peace she found out afterwards.

Happy hour early anyone?
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0004.jpg  
Old 09-16-2010, 02:01 PM   #19

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Actually if I was in the market for a new awning I would go with the ones that they are putting on the Escape trailers they are way easier to put up and down than the box awning Scamp uses. I think it is a Fiesta Awning and I don't think it has a gap.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:18 PM   #20

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2007 Toyota Tundra/2015 Tundra
Montana
Registry
Kind of looks like I am.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:26 PM   #21

Name: Bruce T
Trailer: Compact jr
Indiana
Registry
I agree with Carol......if i knew the attachments and all would fit my uhaul, that awning from the escape would be my choice.

now.......who wants to finance me trying one?
Old 09-17-2010, 03:42 PM   #22

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
I have a bag awning on my 13' Uhaul. I love it!