Awning rail rivet removal - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2010, 04:29 PM   #1

Trailer: 1980 Trillium 13 ft
I removed my Trilliums awning rail as some were snapped off and I thought I would replace them all and put down a new strip of butyl. I was left with the old rivet stubs sticking out from the fiberglass. How to I remove them as I don't want to drill through into the ensolite? Can they be pushed in behind the ensolite in order to insert new rivets.
Thanks
Peter J Halsted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 06:26 PM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
If you aren't going to fish in behind the Ensolite from the inside, I think your only choice is to try to push them in from outside. I might slightly worry about them making a hard spot on the inside and stressing/poking through the Ensolite, but perhaps you can determine that that will not be a problem (and it may not be).

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:35 PM   #3

Trailer: 1980 Trillium 13 ft
Thanks. If I choose to fish them out from the inside would I need to peel back the ensolite? If I need to what glue should be used to attach it back in place.

Peter J Halsted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:22 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel Deluxe
Peter,

After you push in the remaining part of the rivet could you cut a small "x" through the Ensolite to retrieve it? You might need to put a dot of contact cement to close the "x".

Nita
Nita F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:43 PM   #5

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I would probably try to lift the Ensolite at the nearest seam or window - an existing cut - if you want to retrieve the rivet ends. You might be able to stick it back just by heating the existing contact cement-type stuff with a hairdryer and pressing. Otherwise I would try one of the 3M aerosol products (Spray 90 or the like; sorry I don't have the exact ones memorized - Spray 77 is probably a bit too light). Basically some type of spray contact cementish product.

Others will probably chime in about the re-sticking.

But you may find they are not an issue in there.
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote