Awning repair, or start new? - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-28-2013, 09:39 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16
Georgia
Registry
Awning repair, or start new?

I think I've read through all the awning threads here, and don't know any more than when I started. We have a Scamp 13 with a Catalina 2500 awning that needs repair (end caps broken, some of the aluminum arms are bent, etc). The awning has been a pain from day one, and even though I know how it works, it always seems like its breaking when we put it up. Now it won't completely roll back into its cover.
We've considered taking it off and using a screen house, or getting a different brand. I don't like the idea of spending $800+ for a new awning (that Scamp sells).

Has anyone removed their Catalina awning and replaced it with something that works better? Is there another brand that will fit on the catalina brackets without too much modding? We're not that handy with drilling holes etc, and if it's not a simple screw and unscrew, may require a pro to install.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:30 AM   #2

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl M View Post
We've considered taking it off and using a screen house, or getting a different brand. I don't like the idea of spending $800+ for a new awning (that Scamp sells).

... We're not that handy with drilling holes etc, and if it's not a simple screw and unscrew, may require a pro to install.
The easiest thing to do for the short term is to just take it off, especially if it's not closing. Attached awnings can be complicated to operate if you don't follow procedure exactly. My Fiber Stream has a "roll-up" Fiesta awning, and I have been camping, forgotten some little detail in which knob to turn or when to slide the inner arms, and almost bent it. There are times when our E-Z-up screen room seems simpler to use. I cannot advise about case awnings tho...

Old 04-28-2013, 01:03 PM   #3

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
You might check with the Snoozy guys about what they use.
It's a Sunbrella awning, but it may be special made for them.
The track is attached to the egg by 3M and the brackets are screwed in.
It would be pretty simple to install and it's simple to put up and take down.

http://lilsnoozy.com/vacation-photo-gallery.htm

You can see the awning on the demo inside the building.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:03 PM   #4

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Catalinas look awkward to handle to me...I bit the bullet and went with a true pulldown- a Fiesta from Carefree. In my opinion it was worth the extra expense.

But I don't know if one can buy one small enough to fit a 13 footer.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:41 PM   #5

Georgia
Registry
They are awkward to handle. They are definitely a 2 person / four hands awning. Like someone else said, they do sound as if something on them is breaking, or the legs are getting destroyed everytime we unroll it. I do believe we'll take it off for the time being - maybe find a shop that can repair it, or just find something else. If it didn't look so tacky, I'd get a tarp from Walmart and figure out how to attach it to the camper. At least it would come off and get put away much quicker.
The new awnings that I've seen look like they are too long to fit on the Scamp.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:07 PM   #6

Registry
Before I bought the Fiesta hardware, I had a plain old classic gold striped rope-and-pole awning just like the one at this link. The legs are freestanding so must be guywired. Though typically removed between uses, I carried mine with the legs rolled up in it right on the awning rail. (I slid some straps in with it when I first attached it to the rail).

I'm actually still using the fabric- I just bought the Fiesta hardware and installed it thereon. And the gold stripes seem so much more old-trailer appropriate than the fade patterns now in use...

Though I do like the convenience of the pulldown awning, I must admit that I miss the extra coverage afforded by the former setup. The original eight foot extension from the trailer is reduced by 18", and the front-to-back area by about the same.

Francesca
Old 04-28-2013, 04:27 PM   #7

Georgia
Registry
I did not realize that Fiesta hardware was sold separately. Sounds like I need to continue reading. I'm wonder if we could purchase new hardware and remount the awning in the Catalina? The awning material is in good condition, it's the rest of it is the part that needs help. (Including the owners....)
Old 04-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #8

Registry
I couldn't find a way to deal with Carefree (Fiesta maker) directly, but Joe Thoen at Outback was kind enough to sell me the hardware without the canopy (this was way back in 2006). Since his trailer is essentially the same as mine I knew the arms would work. Those are sort of specific to trailer profile.

I'm not sure what arms would fit a Scamp, and on a 13 footer I wonder how much awning width might be reduced. The arms/tube ends on a pulldown awning suck up quite a bit of room.

Another alternative for you to consider:
Since your fabric is in good shape, you might just convert it to a pole awning. Three poles aren't that hard to deploy, and again, the whole thing could be rolled up and stowed, perhaps in the case you already have.

Francesca
Old 05-03-2013, 04:05 AM   #9

Name: C. Elaine
Trailer: Casita 2001 spirit
California
My Casita 16' SD has no awning so for a quick fix I plan to use the Hvy Duty Suction Cups, like in auto body repair from Harbor Frght, one front & rear, tying my canopy off to them & two poles w/ropes. At least no need to drill holes in Eggbert.
E
Old 05-03-2013, 07:46 AM   #10

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
When I brought our camper home with Catalina awning home, opened it up ONCE, what a pain, took it off.....EZup is what we roll with
Old 05-03-2013, 04:25 PM   #11

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2007 Toyota Tundra/2015 Tundra
Montana
Registry
Didn't take a lot to make it look like that but it did to make it normal again. This was soon after we bought the camper new and I was not about to give up the awning. Surprisingly, the aluminum had great memory when we got it off the roof. Just a few parts damaged. More got damaged putting it back together. Something should be left to people who do this for a living no matter how handy your husband is. The awning is back on the camper but I probably will have to be having heat stroke before it comes out.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0012.jpg  

Tags
awning