Awning Selection question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2013, 11:19 AM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Awning Selection question

I am having a quandry with my Casita. I want to install the mounts now as I haven't budgeted for an awning and in TX I know I would appreciate it. I have looked at some of the older posts (its easier to just Google "Awnings for XXXX" and then scroll down and find one of the fiberglass.com posting IMO) and then use the "similar threads" at the bottom to get more data. Anyway I hope to get some mounts and go for it while the interior is raw. The attached installation manual shows one suggestion for squaring up the awning. I too am worried about the weight jiggling around all the time and am open to suggestions. I don't want an external canopy or screen room to lug around.
I have seen references to both the Catalina and the Fiamma and would appreciate any input you guys have both good and bad. Initial reading shows the Fiamma to be more economical but then you have to get the right adapters for either of them. I haven't done any true cost considerations yet.

Thanks again for all the super help on this forum.
Mike
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Catalina-2500_installation-operation_EN.pdf (359.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: pdf Catalina-2500-Awnings.pdf (106.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: pdf Fiama Inc 65S.pdf (391.8 KB, 5 views)
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Mike, I bought a Dometic case awning like the Fiama. Bought mine from Camping World. They typically put awnings on sale in April/May. Just be careful, these need to be shipped truck freight and the shipping can kill you.

If you go with that option (and I love my awning), get the brackets from Casita. They're still putting on the Dometic/Fiama. You can square it up with a perfectly straight 10'-12' 2x4.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:15 PM   #3

Name: Reid
Trailer: 1979 Trillium 4500
Oregon
Registry
I ordered a new Dometic bag awning from American Rv this morning. 9' for our Trillium 4500. About $250 and free shipping. The local Rv shops came close on the price but wanted about $100 to ship anything over 8'. Google rv bag awning and you will get a number of vendors that offer free shipping.Best of luck
Reid Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:14 PM   #4

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I messed around with a bunch of different awnings before I gave up and bought a pulldown version just like the big rigs have. It was expensive, but well worth it in terms of convenience, and one would fit fine on a trailer the size of your Casita.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:50 AM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Thanks all - Thanks Reid, I had never heard of a bag awning until now. These replies give me some options to pursue correctly. I really do intend to visit a "Egg Gathering" somewhere even if I just drive for the day with my camper shell as is and hopefully get to visit and see some of the units with their mods and ideas. But when you drive it Texas its not how many miles its how many days to get there

Mike

PS I just found the forum thread on Bag Awnings. Wish I had seen it earlier.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ing-42214.html
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, casita