Awning Sockets and Curves - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-18-2013, 12:55 PM   #1

Name: Diane
Trailer: u-haul ct13
Virginia
Awning Sockets and Curves

Just an FYI for those of you who may want to figure out a way to work the curves, attachment of sockets to roof top and a bag awning on your little trailers. This is what I use instead of the ball and socket flat plate that comes with most bag awnings roof mount. It's a bathroom shower head holder (use one on each end), I found the angle is good and the ball fits in perfectly. I put rubber under the plastic socket to help hold. You could also use VHB tape.
Attached Thumbnails
sockets1E.jpg   sockets2E.jpg  

sockets3E.jpg  

Old 05-18-2013, 02:24 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Diane posted this in response to my question to her about installing a bag awning on our Uhaul. We figured 7' would be the maximum length to use because of the roof curve. I later remembered that when I installed one on a popup camper that there are ball sockets that the end rafters hook into. Now that's easy to do with a flat vertical sided trailer, but I can't see how to make them work on our Uhaul as the awning has to be mounted far enough up the roof so to clear the door. A rollout awning would be nice, but the shortest that we can find is 8' and that is too long unless it sticks out in midair on the ends. Also I'm not sure if that can be mounted so as to work properly. I think we're going to have to go with a rope & pole awning, and probably a custom made one at that. Anyone had any success with this?

Old 05-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #3

Name: Reid
Trailer: 1979 Trillium 4500
Oregon
Registry
I stitched some sockets out of heavy webbing-made a small pocket- and then stitched them to the awning where the rafter poles landed under the awning. That way I didn't have to attach sockets or anything to the body of the trailer but kept the rafter poles of the awning in place when it was deployed. Also, when rolled up everything fit nicely inside the bag. Just returned from a trip to the southwest where the awning survived some pretty good winds. More than one way to skin a cat.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:01 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Reid; that's a good idea. How far up the roof is your awning mounted, and does it move at all when traveling due to wind?
Old 05-19-2013, 12:20 PM   #5

Name: Reid
Trailer: 1979 Trillium 4500
Oregon
Registry
The awning rail is about 6" above the door. I did notice that the awning bag flopped up above the rail instead of hanging down sometimes when we had been traveling on rough roads, crossing cattle guards or in high winds. I ran a screw through the rail and into the awning spline front and rear and other than flopping up occasionally ( maybe twice on a three week 2500 mile trip) the awning stayed right where it belonged. YMMV

Tags
awning