Awning Style Windows and Door Gasket - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2006, 09:41 PM   #1

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel Deluxe
We have a 1997 Scamp deluxe 5th wheel with both crank-out awning style windows as well as sliders. All the awning windows are attached with rivets. One of our projects this fall will be to reseal windows and we're wondering if anyone has taken on this project? If so, did you reinstall the awning windows with more rivets or ss bolts/nuts/washers, and what sizes? Did you use butyl tape and caulk as is usually done with the sliders? Any tips?

My current project is resealing the screws and replacing button caps. A previous owner smeared caulk on the buttons so it's been fun getting them off.

Next I will replace the door gasket. I'm not pleased with the gasket I got from Scamp. Has anyone found a closed cell gasket at Lowes, Home Depot, etc., that works?

Thanks in advance.

Nita
Nita F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:58 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Nita, I just recently pulled the sliding door window out of my trailer and it's easy to reseal using Buytl tape. I'm going to use Flexseal as the caulk (something recommended by Per). I won't allow silicone to touch my trailer ever again!!

I've also replaced the door gasket with a high density foam tape I purchased at Lowes. it's 1/2" thick (comes in a multitude of thicknesses) is 3/4" wide and one package was 10' long. I bought two packages as one package is about 2 1/2 feet too short. I seamed it at the top center of the door. The brand is MD Door & Window and is advertised as Firm, waterproof, dustproof and airtight closed-cell foam. Since it's sticky backed tape, after I got the door area clean...it took about 5 minutes to put the whole thing on.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 10:41 PM   #3

Trailer: 79 Boler 17 ft
Door Gasket? Have I got a deal for you. I tried various closed cell foam seals on my 79 17' boler and was not satisfied.

What did I do? Heck, I went to a pick-a-part wrecker, and got the side door rubber seal from a 94 Chrysler Minivan. (The Second design style, if you know what I mean). It works like a darn. It is black by the way. But the seal clamps onto the fiberglass body, is super soft and supple, and makes a nice tight door seal, even when your door may be slightly flimsey or warped. With the single rubber seal, I do not have anything on the door itself, just the door frame.

The cost? $3.00 each So I bought two in case I made a mistake on my installation the first time.

The cost of getting closed cell foam seals at a hardware store? approximately $14-$20, and I was never satisfied with the seal.

Now I am a proud owner of a '79 Daimler-Boler.
KevinDR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windows