Awning support - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-25-2014, 01:52 PM   #15
Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 1991 17g
British Columbia
Wow, thanks for the detailed response stevebaz! I think I'll go a little simpler, at first at least. If that doesn't work out I'll go for your more detailed repair.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Fiberglass RV mobile app

Mike in Mission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:14 PM   #16
Name: Derek
Trailer: 2007 Bigfoot 25b25rq
I'm pretty sure that on the upper screws there is no wood behind the fiberglass for the screws to bite into--they only attach to the fiberglass. Perhaps it is the same for the bottom screws as well. If so, you want to be careful not to overtighten and strip them. I had a loose screw on top and I used the toothpick trick and it seemed to tighten fine. In fact, I have had to do this on a number of outside screws that would just spin and spin. If adding a number of toothpicks lets it tighten, then you can just caulk the top and edges of the bracket. If you go with the wooden dowel, keep in mind that if you push it so that it is recessed you may be past the thickness of the fiberglass and the only thing for the glue to adhere to and be supported by will be foam.

Some time ago there was a thread showing how a person added a wood block for the upper screws to bite into. Probably the way it should have been done at the factory.

Derek Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:57 AM   #17
Name: Mike & Sara
Trailer: 86 17' Bigfoot
Mike, be careful in what you do. Your water tank is right there.
When I installed my bracket, I made a back plate and bolted through the wall.
It's close quarters, someone to hold a wrench inside helps.
mszabo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:02 AM   #18
Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 1991 17g
British Columbia
Just thought that I'd post an update. I sanded down the the bumps flush, vacuumed out the holes, taped off the surrounding areas, then used a small syringe to shoot JB weld marine weld epoxy into the holes. I ended up getting the entire pack of epoxy into the holes, wear gloves its a bit messy. Next I waited the 24 hours, then sanded the epoxy bumps down flush. Drilled pilot holes and lag bolted the bracket back on. It felt like it bit really well. I also ended up having to tighten all the bolts on the other brackets as well. Seems like it worked really well and is solid. Will be taking a week long trip at the end of the month, hopefully it holds up! Thanks again for all the advice.
Mike in Mission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:46 PM   #19
Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I have not used the Marine JB Weld but have performed pure magic with the regular kind. I mean the kind of magic that would have gotten you burned at the stake back in the day!
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:48 AM   #20
Name: Bob
Trailer: bigfoot
British Columbia
Hey Mike I also live in Mission, if you still have problems with the awning you can come over and have a look how mine was installed. It appears that the back side of the skirt had a small square hole cut out and then some wood backing placed inside to attach the awning bolts. The holes were then resealed.

krusty is offline   Reply With Quote