Awnings and railing. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2018, 05:55 PM   #21

Name: mensie
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
I found an original awning track, the one where the awning slides thru a channel.
How high above the door should this rail/channel be placed above the door.
Also are the attachement hole place upward of the Chanel or downward.

Hopefully someone could tell me and get me a measurement.
mensie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 06:07 PM   #22

Name: Tony
BC
It is a bit hard to measure because of the 'eyebrow' over the door, but it is about 3.5 inches on our 97 13' Boler.
You can still buy it at some rv supply places. Sailors call it bolt rope track. Dunno the name in rv speak.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:11 PM   #23

BC
My pop rivets are on the high side.
You might want to raise it a little because our door drags against it.
I think we are going to stop using the awning and use an easy up or caravan canopy.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:01 PM   #24

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
On our Uhaul I put the rail holes up. How far above the door to mount the rail may depend on what type of awning you are using. We have a bag awning. Without going out in the dark and cold I'm guessing the rail is 6" above the door. Can measure during the day if you need.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:39 PM   #25

Name: mensie
Alberta
Perfect those were the answers I was looking for I knew I could count on you guys.
mensie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:47 PM   #26

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
There are small rollers that are made to attach to the upper corner of the door if it rubs the awning.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:21 PM   #27

BC
There are awning guard rollers but the Boler door is very rounded, and if you put the rail too high it will be up on the flat rather than on the wall.
I found the A&E awning for our sunrader in a wrecking yard, and through bolted it to the body.
Much better than the one on our Boler.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:59 AM   #28

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
I just shortened my Keder awning rail so that it doesn't go over the door at all. It's only one step from the door to the awning, so I doubt that I would drown in so short of a distance to travel. Normally, if we are setting up for more than a day or two, we set up our Clam screen tent shelter, but if we aren't staying for more than a couple of days, or just an overnight somewhere, the railing awning is sufficient enough. My rail is only about 7.5 feet long, but it is possible to install one that does cover the door if you feel you need it to. You'll just have to mount it up higher is all. I just wanted one that gave me enough vertical room (I'm 6'2") without rubbing my head on it when standing underneath, but that I could still conveniently reach and slide in/out while standing on the ground. And, FWIW, mine is through bolted with 1/4" X 20 stainless steel machine screws with fender washers and Nylock nuts inside. At the height I mounted it, all the fasteners are inside the overhead cabinets, so none of them show on the inside unless you look inside the cabinets, and even then it's hard to see them. If you do mount the rail, I would suggest placing the fasteners on the "up-side" of the rail channel, and use sealant, (not silicone,) in the fastener holes and under the railing to "bed" it.
Attached Thumbnails
Keder Rail2.JPG   Keder Rail1.JPG  

Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, boler