Baby moon hubcaps? Here's how to install without dents - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2015, 10:09 AM   #1

Name: Colleen
Trailer: Trillium
WA
Baby moon hubcaps? Here's how to install without dents

Hi all, I just bought baby moon hubcaps for our Trillium and put one on the way I remembered putting on hubcaps -- with a rubber hammer. I immediately put two obvious dents in the poor thing. So, I looked it up on Google and found this from Larry on Little Guy Forum. Just FYI: (Also, anyone want a brand new baby moon with dents?)

"To remove a baby moon you need a special tool... or a bent screwdriver, or in my case a child size hammer. If you are using anything other than the hubcap removal tool be sure and tape any part of the tool that will come in contact with the rim to protect the paint.

Place a towel on the ground below the moon.

"Remove:
Look at the moon/rim. You will see 3 bumps where the moon touches the rim. Place the tool of choice between the moon and rim next to one of the bumps and pry. The moon should pop off with very little pressure. Now you know the reason for the towel!

Re-install:
To re-install the moon on the rim, hold the moon with both hands, thumbs together at the top and fingers down at the other two corners of a triangle (matching the locations of the bumps on the rim). Hook the edge of the moon where the fingers are over the two lower bumps. Carefully lift up with the fingers while pushing in with your thumbs on the upper edge of the moon. The moon should pop on to the rim with little pressure and you should leave no dents."
Colleeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:49 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Thank you for sharing your knowledge.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:24 AM   #3

Name: Perk
Trailer: Formerly U-Haul
Arizona
Registry
Where did you get your Baby Moons and how did you measure to get the correct size. Thanks for the post.
Perk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:56 AM   #4

Name: Colleen
Trailer: Trillium
WA
Hi Robert:i I ordered them online from Vintage Trailer Supply-- part # VTS-595, 9.5 inch hubcaps. I measured across the center of the wheel (using the spare tire) and included in the measurement the outside of the rounded rim with the three tabs. It came pretty close to 9.5 inches, so I figured I'd be safe. If not, they'd make nice garden ornaments, right? I can send you my dented one if you'd like. (I got four caps as I am hell on hubcaps.) You can have the dented one if you want to work on shipping costs. ( :
Colleeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 01:29 PM   #5

Name: Perk
Trailer: Formerly U-Haul
Arizona
Registry
Colleeno,

Thanks for the info and hyperlink.

I will do some measuring and get me some ordered.

Thank you for the offer but I will order them all at once and like you probably at least four.

Thank you again.
Perk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:32 PM   #6

Name: Chris
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Great post! I just picked some up at a shop in Edmonton, they explained how to put them on, but didn't know how to get them off again (hadn't thought that far ahead), thanks for posting.
Nelmes is offline   Reply With Quote