Back-Up/Rear View Wireless Camera Reliability - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2015, 07:57 AM   #1

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Back-Up/Rear View Wireless Camera Reliability

Does anyone have any comparisons of Tadi Bros. vs. Voyager wireless cameras as to their ability to not have drop outs. I am wondering if the higher price of the Voyager is worth it in terms of reliable performance.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 08:07 AM   #2

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
I also wonder about a backup camera from Yada.
I recently saw one of those at Costco for $99.

Ray

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 12:49 PM   #3

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Is this an add-on for the back of the trailer? That could be quite useful.
We have a camera on the back of our tow vehicle. It took a few episodes of beeping before we realized it was seeing the trailer when we turned a little too sharply.
Kai in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 02:56 PM   #4

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
Is this an add-on for the back of the trailer?

Yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 02-11-2017, 09:32 PM   #5

Trailer: 1978 UNIK
Registry
Tadi vs Voyager

I'm looking for the right unit myself. Digital wireless is going to cost upward of $250 to $900.
Tadi Bros. has a camera that seems to go on top of your RV because the wireless antenna sticks out the back of the camera and there is no clearance if mounted on a vertical surface like on middle of the back of your RV. The monitor is 7' diagonally and I think I would like a 4.3" or 5" monitor and not clog up the forward windshield view.
The voyager is expensive but they do have a refurbished unit for about $100 less. Part no. WV05511-RM. they have many models to choose from. Higher priced ones have multiple cam inputs, audio, split video, etc.
I would like to know anyone who has a wireless digital cam and the price to let us know. I just can't decide what I have to get.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:14 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Does anyone have any comparisons of Tadi Bros. vs. Voyager wireless cameras as to their ability to not have drop outs. I am wondering if the higher price of the Voyager is worth it in terms of reliable performance.
No experience with Voyager, but I do have the Tadi Bros setup on my Escape 21. I ran the cables from the camera up to the front of the trailer and installed the wireless transmitter at the front of the trailer. The receiver in the truck is mounted to the rear window with 3M VHB tape and the cable routed from there up to the drivers side visor, where it plugs into a "clip on" mirror display.

https://www.tadibrothers.com/product...mirror-monitor

Absolutely no problems in 3 years. Tadi uses the same camera with all of their monitors. Quite rugged and the sun visor for it works great. They use a wireless frequency far enough from the BlueTooth frequency that there is no interference like the cheapies.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 07:25 AM   #7

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Casita Independence "Callimachusita"
Ocean City, NJ
I got a 4UCAM that mounts on top of the license plate. It uses a wireless signal to a IPhone or android. I put the transmitter in my tail light. Works great. About $100 on Jet or Amazon.
Pod Puppies: Josie and Frankie, Casita Kittens: Madison & Razzel & Mrs. Chow
librarianocnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:02 AM   #8

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Carl,
I've no experience with these but have had excellent results from an $85 wireless unit by Peak. Camera mounted at the rear of our Scamp and monitor on the TV dash.

Whatever brand, they definitely provide useful information for safe operation. Good luck in your search.

David
WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 02:11 PM   #9

Name: Dan
Trailer: Bigfoot 30th Anv. 25B25FB
Washington
Had a Garmin RV 760LMT GPS unit and and a compatible Garmin BC20-Wireless Backup Camera that worked with the GPS on my previous Bigfoot motor home.. Great camera and easy to install on license plate holder. Motor home was 29' long and no problem whatsoever wireless wise.

Now have a Bigfoot 25' trailer and plan on getting the newer 770 RV GPS unit an camera as well. Nice to see what's behind you when backing up on going down the road. The only thing was during daylight hours you have to put on you parking lights to activate camera. At night not a problem as camera is on, unless you touch screen to go to GPS mode.

Great system........see photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Garminrearcamera.jpg   Garminrearcamera1.jpg  

Garminrearcamera2.jpg  
Wacenturion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 02:34 PM   #10

Name: Sandra
Trailer: Parkliner SOLD November 2017
South Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacenturion View Post
Had a Garmin RV 760LMT GPS unit and and a compatible Garmin BC20-Wireless Backup Camera that worked with the GPS on my previous Bigfoot motor home.. Great camera and easy to install on license plate holder. Motor home was 29' long and no problem whatsoever wireless wise.

Now have a Bigfoot 25' trailer and plan on getting the newer 770 RV GPS unit an camera as well. Nice to see what's behind you when backing up on going down the road. The only thing was during daylight hours you have to put on you parking lights to activate camera. At night not a problem as camera is on, unless you touch screen to go to GPS mode.

Great system........see photos.
When you switch the to the backup/rear view mode, does the GPS still keep track of your route? I would like to see what the traffic is like behind me every once in a while. A backup on the trailer would be great to see what is behind you when you are backing in to a campsite as well!
Sandy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 03:00 PM   #11

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy54 View Post
When you switch the to the backup/rear view mode, does the GPS still keep track of your route? I would like to see what the traffic is like behind me every once in a while. A backup on the trailer would be great to see what is behind you when you are backing in to a campsite as well!
Yes it keeps track of where you are at. During the daylight hours, you simply pull on your parking lights or driving lights for that matter and the rear camera view comes on. Watch what is behind you and when done push light switch in and GPS comes back on where you currently are.

I used it that way all the time. At night it will be on because your lights are on, but you just need to touch the screen to switch to the GPS mode. I think it's a really nice setup and easy to install and use.
Old 03-04-2017, 05:46 PM   #12

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacenturion View Post
Yes it keeps track of where you are at. During the daylight hours, you simply pull on your parking lights or driving lights for that matter and the rear camera view comes on. Watch what is behind you and when done push light switch in and GPS comes back on where you currently are.

I used it that way all the time. At night it will be on because your lights are on, but you just need to touch the screen to switch to the GPS mode. I think it's a really nice setup and easy to install and use.
If you wire so it is on all the time, it doesn't work that way. If you are in map, you have to get out before you can get to camera view.

I finally disconnected mine because it started switching between camera and map at every bump.

I thought it would be helpful to see what was behind me while driving, but the resolution isn't good enough. You can't see cars until they are right up on you.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 06:22 PM   #13

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
If you wire so it is on all the time, it doesn't work that way. If you are in map, you have to get out before you can get to camera view.

I finally disconnected mine because it started switching between camera and map at every bump.

I thought it would be helpful to see what was behind me while driving, but the resolution isn't good enough. You can't see cars until they are right up on you.
That's basically what I said. You go from one to the other. Never had any twitching whatsoever.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:52 PM   #14

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape
California
Registry
I had a little trouble with my Garmin & BC-20 camera losing communication sometimes when I had the transmitter just inside the front wall of my Scamp. After I remounted the transmitter by cutting out a small square of the foil/bubblewrap insulation so there is just fiberglass it works just fine.
DougOlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 09:08 AM   #15

Trailer: 94 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarianocnj View Post
I got a 4UCAM that mounts on top of the license plate. It uses a wireless signal to a IPhone or android. I put the transmitter in my tail light. Works great. About $100 on Jet or Amazon.
Gordon -- Any photos of the install? Did you get the mini camera or the license plate frame camera?
Sheryl M is offline   Reply With Quote