Bad tasting water!!!!! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2008, 09:27 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Escape B / 2005 Tacoma 4x4 D Cab
We just came back from a trip to the Oregon coast for spring break in our new Escape and found that the taste of the water after it came through the new hose from the tap was horrible!!!! The water tasted great at the camp site tap and the water we had already in the fresh water tank tasted fine after it went through the plumbing inside the trailer but the stuff that just came through the hose.....phew, bad smell, bad taste.
Is this just the new hose and it will eventually fade away or can we speed up the process or........?????
The hose is a potable water hose btw.
BC Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 05:39 AM   #2

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
I just can't drink the water from the trailer....ever. I bring a few gallons of water from wally world for drinking and cooking. mainly use the onboard tank for showers and washing stuff.
This has nothing to do with drinking water but i left the water in the hot water heater for a few months and it smelled like rotten eggs.....phew. i just purchased a anode rod with petcock drain for the hot water heater which should arrive any day.....
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:14 AM   #3

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Quote:
We just came back from a trip to the Oregon coast for spring break in our new Escape and found that the taste of the water after it came through the new hose from the tap was horrible!!!! The water tasted great at the camp site tap and the water we had already in the fresh water tank tasted fine after it went through the plumbing inside the trailer but the stuff that just came through the hose.....phew, bad smell, bad taste.
Is this just the new hose and it will eventually fade away or can we speed up the process or........?????
The hose is a potable water hose btw.

Paul, could you be a little more specific please....??

Did you fill the tank before you left here? Did you fill the tank ANYWHERE else along the way? What did you use for water while camping, from the inside taps OR direct from the campground tap (bypassing the trailers on board system??)

I believe it might be possible that a combination of the newness of the trailers tank and new water house could cause this sort of reaction. You might try running a solution of bleach and or baking soda through the whole system (including, if possible the filling hose) followed bya thurough rinse and flush. Worth a try???

Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 01:09 PM   #4

The water at the campground tap is fine and the water we brought with us was also fine. Only after the water has gone through the hose from the campground tap does it taste and smell bad. I will try some baking soda flushed through the hose and see if that helps.

Thanks
Old 04-21-2008, 02:57 PM   #5

Trailer: 1981 17 ft Bigfoot
Quote:
The water at the campground tap is fine and the water we brought with us was also fine. Only after the water has gone through the hose from the campground tap does it taste and smell bad. I will try some baking soda flushed through the hose and see if that helps.

Thanks
When we full-timed we sometimes ran into the same type of problem. Our solution was to buy a very basic, low cost water filter from either Walmart or Home Depot - those white cylinder types that are usually installed underneath your home's kitchen sink. Attach your hose to the campground tap, attach the filter and then attach to your RV. Since the connectors are different sizes, you'll also need to use a ....... (hmmm, hubby is away and since he did this stuff and I don't know the proper names of these thingys - - help me out fellow eggers) reducer?? between the connections. Anyway it worked surprisingly well - never again had the stinky smell even with the hot water. We always filled the tanks using the same system. Jim and Pat
Pat B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 03:10 PM   #6

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Quote:
When we full-timed we sometimes ran into the same type of problem. Our solution was to buy a very basic, low cost water filter from either Walmart or Home Depot - those white cylinder types that are usually installed underneath your home's kitchen sink. Attach your hose to the campground tap, attach the filter and then attach to your RV. Since the connectors are different sizes, you'll also need to use a ....... (hmmm, hubby is away and since he did this stuff and I don't know the proper names of these thingys - - help me out fellow eggers) reducer?? between the connections. Anyway it worked surprisingly well - never again had the stinky smell even with the hot water. We always filled the tanks using the same system. Jim and Pat

.....a connector, Pat, a connector. Goes from a hose connection to a water tap connection or verse vica... I just know there IS another name for that whojamiggy!!!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 05:10 PM   #7

Trailer: 1981 17 ft Bigfoot
Quote:
.....a connector, Pat, a connector. Goes from a hose connection to a water tap connection or verse vica... I just know there IS another name for that whojamiggy!!!!

Oops - hubby is now home and said we didn't have to use a 'thingy' or a 'reducer' or a'whojamiggy' or even a connector to put the filter on the trailer. It's just simply - water tap to hose to filter to a second hose to trailer. (He says that I was getting this mixed up with the water pressure reducer that he also put on to protect the trailer water lines.) He also said that he put that second hose in so that the filter could rest on the ground instead of trying to dangle it from the side of the trailer. But thanks for the input - at least now I have a new word for describing stuff! Jim and Pat
Pat B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 05:55 PM   #8

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft / Chevy Astrovan
So what is it with these potable water hoses?????
Connie M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:10 PM   #9

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Potable...means in drinkable form... as for odour free well thats another matter!!! When we first got our Boler I almost filled the water tank with the garden hose... then thought about it??? Used the white hose to fill the tank after letting the hose run for a while"WHEW" No extra flavour though. As for having a thingamagig on the whachamacallit the filter sounds like a good thingy!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 01:53 AM   #10

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft / Chevy Astrovan
I bought a potable water hose last year for possible future use at campgrounds with hook-ups, but haven't used it yet. Sounds like I'd better give it a test run.
(Have to admit that I fill up the Trill water tank using my garden hose all the time. After thinking about the negatives involved with that, my compromise is to run the water first until it's clear and cold, then fill. Maybe I'm sticking my head in the sand.)
Connie M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:38 AM   #11

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
This may be splitting hairs but what does "Bad" tasting mean? Different things will make water taste "different". Artesian well water usually has a high sulfur content...and a "rotten egg" taste, more noticable after the water has warmed up and the sulphur has particulated out of solution. High Chlorine content will definitely make you think you're drinking Clorox. Mold in your Water Storage Tank will make water taste "Musty" or like Dirt. (Dirt will taste like dirt too...duh!).

A storage tanks age can also "taint" the taste, and high temps can cause plastic tanks to leech out a bit in the water. New tanks will definately leech out petrochemicals at first so flush them out several times. Water is the universal solvent & naturally has no taste, what you taste is not water, just something that's in it.

Since my water tank is vintage 1983, I don't trust I'll ever be able to flush out all the mold and sediment out of the tank to suit me. Now I use it only to wash & rinse dishes. I carry a 5 gal collapsable jug and fill it before a trip to drink from.

ConwayBob
Old 04-22-2008, 04:49 PM   #12

The taste is plastic or vinyl (very hose like!!!).
I'll try some baking soda and/or just let water run through it for a few hours into a drain and see if it helps. I also bought one of those filters but it made no difference.

Thanks to all who responded.