Bad threads on the water tank. Ideas? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2012, 05:40 AM   #21
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wood View Post
Raz, I probably missed something here along the way, but couldn't you find a new tank replacement and cut the old tank out ?
Tank is very easy to remove as it just sits in a tub molded in the floor. What has happened is the outlet was leaking. I believe the threads were damaged because of movement of the tank and a lack of flexibility of the pex tubing. I am trying to repair the leak on the cheap! It's an interesting problem and I am learning about water tanks and there repair.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:28 AM   #22

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
.............I tried Thomas' idea of adding a hose clamp around the outlet and it did indeed tighten things up. .......... Raz
Did you heat the plastic at the same time? I think that would make a lot of difference. I use an electric heat gun like this:
Heat Gun - Dual Temperature Heat Gun, 1500W
Old 04-24-2012, 06:33 AM   #23

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
I agree I think the heat gun would help a lot.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:26 AM   #24
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Prior to putting on the paste I tried a dry run if you will. Bearing in mind that plastic threads are delicate creatures, the clamp made hand turning the fitting quite difficult. No heat. Next, I put the paste on the fitting, screwed it in and tightened the clamp. I let it cure over night and the tank is currently sitting outside on a bench. It is full of water. So far so good. It won't leak until it is back in the trailer. Murphy, you know. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:56 AM   #25

Maybe there is more you can do to prevent a recurrence - like use a very flexible drain hose like latex (like they use on sling slots).
Old 04-25-2012, 12:57 PM   #26

Morning Paul if it was me I would get a hole saw 2" put the hole where it needs to be over the original outlet then drill a hole through centre of the piece you remove put in a 3/4" brass valve then take the tank down to a local motorcycle shop with a plastic welder and weld the 2" piece with the new valve back in hook up the apex and for the price of a box of beer your back in business after riding more than 800 000 km on motorcycles I can tell you plastic welds hold and are much cheaper than replacement plastics , some rv shops also have plastic welders jmho , cheers mike
Stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:31 PM   #27

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Might consider that this RV tank repair kit uses epoxy. AP Products Plastic Tank Repair Kit found that kit listed at two RV suppliers. Along with this repair how-to that suggests one uses epoxy/resin How to Repair Your RV's Freshwater Tank | eHow.com
Can always test small spot with epoxy at the top where you could plug if epoxy eats tank.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:05 PM   #28

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Melt the two fittings together. Get a plastic welder from harbor frieght.
Or heat a screwdriver with a torch a use it to weld the two pieces together.
Don't have the stomach to melt together? Slip a piece of hose over the fittings and double hose clamp. Use a ratchet to tighten instead of a screwdriver.
Mike
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:10 PM   #29

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
Raz
Sent you a P.M.
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote