Bag awning Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2014, 12:03 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Bag awning Question

I have a 1981 13 ft....perris pacer....and was given a bag awning... I just picked up some of the c channel....and at the RV place i was told, it may be best to slide it on & off while traveling...What do most people do ?

It is the type with a metal frame and mounted legs (taht drop down to the ground as well as legs (or braces) that go from the front of the awning back to the trailer
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:51 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I store my trailer out in the elements. To protect the awning I remove it and store it inside the trailer. My Scamp has a sliding back window that makes this easy. When I had my pop-up trailer I left it on full time for 20 years with no issues. They are designed to survive out in the elements. The only issue that I dont like about the new awnings is it didnt come with Velcro straps that wrap under the mounting rail and around the awning so the rail carries the weight without the bag flopping around. I should have made some and put them in the plans when I mounted my rail. When I go camping I always carry my folding 2 step stool so I can easily deal with the awing and other issues when they arrise. If I was traveling everyday and setting up camp I would leave it up on the trailer until the trip was over.
Its noot hard to deal with the awning if you have 2 people to set it up. taking it down one person can remove it easily enough.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:49 PM   #3

bag awning question

Steve....

1)Thanks for the super fast reply........I am hoping my visual pic of how this works is correct....the legs that i refer to as braces...appear to go from the extended front part of the awning back to the trailer....is that correct ?...and if so do they go down at an angle or straight back parallel w/ the ground ?
any chances you may have a pic of yours set up....sounds like i will be taking it down to travel

2) where are you located in calif ?....we are in So calif...Thousand Oaks to be specific.....have you attended any of the Calif rallies....we are just getting started and attended the one last fall at Lake Casitas
Old 04-24-2014, 01:49 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We leave ours on the rail. Over 4000 miles since installing it with no problems. The installation directions said to put a screw through each end of the rail and through the awning bead to keep it in place. Ours is a Shademaker, it has a ball on the end of the rafter poles and that ball goes into a plastic socket that attaches to the trailer just under the rail.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:55 PM   #5

Does anyone have a close up pic showing the brace legs and what they attach to the trailer ....i believe is must be something like a socket......also any ideas on how far up from the belly band to mount the channel ....so that it won't interfer with top of the door.....that most likely varies trailer make to trailer make ...just a thought
Old 04-24-2014, 02:45 PM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Randy Bishop has posted great pictures and explanations of different bag awnings in this thread. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post268080 The best you will find grouped together here on the forum.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:58 PM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
IF (big if) you have a Shademaker brand awning, parts are available, and fairly cheap at that, although they have a $10 minimum order. A tree branch hit ours and bent one section of the rafter pole. Had to call to order a new one, and bought a spare socket while I was at it. There is a spring loaded center rafter available which I recommend. Also available is a roller to go on the top of the door if there is little clearance. This info relates to Shademaker brand, don't know about others.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:16 AM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Allan, my gal, dog and I were at the lake Casistas rally. We have the 13 Scamp with the all Snoopy interior. Right now I dont have pictures with it all set up. When we set it up we bring the awning all the way out and use the legs straight down and stake them down. You can set it up out rigger style to the lower body but I learned from my pop up tent days we kept walking into them. They became a nusance set up that way having to set up camp to go around them. Especially at night during your nightly walk to the camp facilities.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 11:20 AM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: Burro
Oregon
Here's a write up ( sort of ) with pics on a Dometic bag awning I installed on my lunch hour yesterday.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ery-63903.html
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning