Bargman on a Scamp? - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: scamp
Michigan
Bargman on a Scamp?

Has anybody here ever changed over an old Scamp door lock to a Bargman? I have the Bargman here, and while the door looks a bit thin, it still looks possible.
Has anybody done this? Remarks?

Old 10-11-2013, 02:40 PM   #2

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
It's not a bargman but here is an FIC on my Scamp...
Attached Thumbnails
door latch 002.jpg   June 2009 114.jpg  

Old 10-11-2013, 04:16 PM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Floyd, Like your lock. What does FIC stand for and where did you purchase it? Any installation tips? Does it work with the catch on the stamp door?

Thank you.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:20 PM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I found the FIC locks. Do you have a specific model? Did you have to increase the door thickness?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:28 PM   #5

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Floyd, Like your lock. What does FIC stand for and where did you purchase it? Any installation tips? Does it work with the catch on the stamp door?

Thank you.
I had to make my own striker....
The door did not have to be thickened.
Several people have done this mod since I did it.One fellow did a nice job and an even better job of documentation. it's around here somewhere (or over at Scampers. If I find it I will post a link on this thread.
Attached Thumbnails
June 2009 117.jpg   June 2009 118.jpg  

Old 10-11-2013, 05:43 PM   #6
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomKat View Post
Has anybody here ever changed over an old Scamp door lock to a Bargman? I have the Bargman here, and while the door looks a bit thin, it still looks possible.
Has anybody done this? Remarks?
Since Bargman no longer makes door locks, the prices have gone sky high. Check eBay to see what I mean. Instead of installing an old lock that could require costly replacement parts some time in the future, you might be better off selling it and buying a new lock with the proceeds. Just a thought. Raz

bargman lock | eBay
Old 10-11-2013, 05:51 PM   #7

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Since Bargman no longer makes door locks, the prices have gone sky high. Check eBay to see what I mean. Instead of installing an old lock that could require costly replacement parts some time in the future, you might be better off selling it and buying a new lock with the proceeds. Just a thought. Raz
My thoughts exactly.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:17 PM   #8

Michigan
Well, Raz-
I have two Bargmans in perfect shape, and I also have a brand new set of lock and latch from Scamp. It's no contest- the Scamp hardware is badly designed and the brand new inside latch is already starting to rust, before it's even installed. I hate the setup. The inside and outside pieces should bolt together and form a solid unit, gripping the door between them- like the Bargman goes together. The Scamp hardware is not a good design.

Does anyone know of a good alternative to the Scamp door set?
Old 10-12-2013, 06:54 AM   #9
Raz

Vermont
Quote:
Well, Raz-
I have two Bargmans in perfect shape, and I also have a brand new set of lock and latch from Scamp. It's no contest- the Scamp hardware is badly designed and the brand new inside latch is already starting to rust, before it's even installed. I hate the setup. The inside and outside pieces should bolt together and form a solid unit, gripping the door between them- like the Bargman goes together. The Scamp hardware is not a good design.

Does anyone know of a good alternative to the Scamp door set?
My Trailer came with a Bargman L 300. Right after the trailer was made Bargman stopped selling locks. Both the L 300 and the L 400 require unique holes which makes replacement an issue, thus the high prices on eBay. I have a rebuild kit and have taken mine apart to lubricate. There are pot metal parts as well as steel parts susceptible to rust. A good seal is a must. I found the need to use loctite on the screws to stop the lock from loosening. Since you have two, replacement parts are not an issue. Cutting the holes in the door and setting the striker might be. My door has a wooden plug inside to give the lock some thing to squeeze. If you go that route make sure your door is thick enough.

I would suggest you search the site before cutting. There are many threads on the Scamp lock. I like Floyd's solution but there are others. Use the google option ( second blank down) of the forum search feature. Good luck, Raz

Scamp door latch alternative...
New Scamp Door latch
Old 10-12-2013, 09:22 AM   #10

Michigan
Thanks for the insight- I really thing the Bargman is too thick to fit the Scamp door(or the door is too light to anchor that Bargman), but the thought of putting that awful Scamp latch on there gives me fits.
What I was really looking for was a good alternative.
I will check into those FIC units, but I'm still looking...
Old 10-12-2013, 09:53 AM   #11
Raz

Vermont
Quote:
Thanks for the insight- I really thing the Bargman is too thick to fit the Scamp door(or the door is too light to anchor that Bargman), but the thought of putting that awful Scamp latch on there gives me fits.
What I was really looking for was a good alternative.
I will check into those FIC units, but I'm still looking...
Please share your solution. I always like seeing what folks come up with. Take care, Raz
Old 10-12-2013, 12:16 PM   #12

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I found the FIC locks. Do you have a specific model? Did you have to increase the door thickness?
Norm I admired a lock at the Bandon meet of an install of a lock much likes Floyd's. In that case they had simply used a thick piece of plexiglass cut the same size as the lock and place it under it to thicken the door. Basically they just put in a thicker spacer than what Scamp currently has. Much like the way Floyd added the a piece of ? but he has nicely hidden the spacer under the rat fur.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:53 PM   #13

Michigan
I keep holding that Bargman up to the Scamp door- I went so far as to draw the opening I would have to cut out. The only thing stopping me is that size and heft of the Bargman- I really think it's too big to mount in that light Scamp door. If I could find something like it about 2/3rds that size, I would go ahead and install it. I'm still looking at various latches and handles from other older campers...
Has anybody gone ahead and installed the Bargman?
Old 10-14-2013, 07:06 PM   #14

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
[QUOTE=ThomKat;424943The only thing stopping me is that size and heft of the Bargman- I really think it's too big to mount in that light Scamp door. If I could find something like it about 2/3rds that size, I would go ahead and install it.[/QUOTE]

Whats wrong with one like Floyd posted the photos of?

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp