Bargman on a Scamp? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2013, 01:21 PM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: scamp
Michigan
Bargman on a Scamp?

Has anybody here ever changed over an old Scamp door lock to a Bargman? I have the Bargman here, and while the door looks a bit thin, it still looks possible.
Has anybody done this? Remarks?
ThomKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
It's not a bargman but here is an FIC on my Scamp...
Attached Thumbnails
door latch 002.jpg   June 2009 114.jpg  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:16 PM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Floyd, Like your lock. What does FIC stand for and where did you purchase it? Any installation tips? Does it work with the catch on the stamp door?

Thank you.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:20 PM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I found the FIC locks. Do you have a specific model? Did you have to increase the door thickness?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:28 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Floyd, Like your lock. What does FIC stand for and where did you purchase it? Any installation tips? Does it work with the catch on the stamp door?

Thank you.
I had to make my own striker....
The door did not have to be thickened.
Several people have done this mod since I did it.One fellow did a nice job and an even better job of documentation. it's around here somewhere (or over at Scampers. If I find it I will post a link on this thread.
Attached Thumbnails
June 2009 117.jpg   June 2009 118.jpg  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:43 PM   #6
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomKat View Post
Has anybody here ever changed over an old Scamp door lock to a Bargman? I have the Bargman here, and while the door looks a bit thin, it still looks possible.
Has anybody done this? Remarks?
Since Bargman no longer makes door locks, the prices have gone sky high. Check eBay to see what I mean. Instead of installing an old lock that could require costly replacement parts some time in the future, you might be better off selling it and buying a new lock with the proceeds. Just a thought. Raz

bargman lock | eBay
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:51 PM   #7

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Since Bargman no longer makes door locks, the prices have gone sky high. Check eBay to see what I mean. Instead of installing an old lock that could require costly replacement parts some time in the future, you might be better off selling it and buying a new lock with the proceeds. Just a thought. Raz
My thoughts exactly.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:17 PM   #8

Michigan
Well, Raz-
I have two Bargmans in perfect shape, and I also have a brand new set of lock and latch from Scamp. It's no contest- the Scamp hardware is badly designed and the brand new inside latch is already starting to rust, before it's even installed. I hate the setup. The inside and outside pieces should bolt together and form a solid unit, gripping the door between them- like the Bargman goes together. The Scamp hardware is not a good design.

Does anyone know of a good alternative to the Scamp door set?
Old 10-12-2013, 05:54 AM   #9
Raz

Quote:
Well, Raz-
I have two Bargmans in perfect shape, and I also have a brand new set of lock and latch from Scamp. It's no contest- the Scamp hardware is badly designed and the brand new inside latch is already starting to rust, before it's even installed. I hate the setup. The inside and outside pieces should bolt together and form a solid unit, gripping the door between them- like the Bargman goes together. The Scamp hardware is not a good design.

Does anyone know of a good alternative to the Scamp door set?
My Trailer came with a Bargman L 300. Right after the trailer was made Bargman stopped selling locks. Both the L 300 and the L 400 require unique holes which makes replacement an issue, thus the high prices on eBay. I have a rebuild kit and have taken mine apart to lubricate. There are pot metal parts as well as steel parts susceptible to rust. A good seal is a must. I found the need to use loctite on the screws to stop the lock from loosening. Since you have two, replacement parts are not an issue. Cutting the holes in the door and setting the striker might be. My door has a wooden plug inside to give the lock some thing to squeeze. If you go that route make sure your door is thick enough.

I would suggest you search the site before cutting. There are many threads on the Scamp lock. I like Floyd's solution but there are others. Use the google option ( second blank down) of the forum search feature. Good luck, Raz

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ive-60174.html
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tch-49386.html
Old 10-12-2013, 08:22 AM   #10

Michigan
Thanks for the insight- I really thing the Bargman is too thick to fit the Scamp door(or the door is too light to anchor that Bargman), but the thought of putting that awful Scamp latch on there gives me fits.
What I was really looking for was a good alternative.
I will check into those FIC units, but I'm still looking...
Old 10-12-2013, 08:53 AM   #11
Raz

Quote:
Thanks for the insight- I really thing the Bargman is too thick to fit the Scamp door(or the door is too light to anchor that Bargman), but the thought of putting that awful Scamp latch on there gives me fits.
What I was really looking for was a good alternative.
I will check into those FIC units, but I'm still looking...
Please share your solution. I always like seeing what folks come up with. Take care, Raz
Old 10-12-2013, 11:16 AM   #12

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
I found the FIC locks. Do you have a specific model? Did you have to increase the door thickness?
Norm I admired a lock at the Bandon meet of an install of a lock much likes Floyd's. In that case they had simply used a thick piece of plexiglass cut the same size as the lock and place it under it to thicken the door. Basically they just put in a thicker spacer than what Scamp currently has. Much like the way Floyd added the a piece of ? but he has nicely hidden the spacer under the rat fur.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:53 PM   #13

Michigan
I keep holding that Bargman up to the Scamp door- I went so far as to draw the opening I would have to cut out. The only thing stopping me is that size and heft of the Bargman- I really think it's too big to mount in that light Scamp door. If I could find something like it about 2/3rds that size, I would go ahead and install it. I'm still looking at various latches and handles from other older campers...
Has anybody gone ahead and installed the Bargman?
Old 10-14-2013, 06:06 PM   #14

Registry
[QUOTE=ThomKat;424943The only thing stopping me is that size and heft of the Bargman- I really think it's too big to mount in that light Scamp door. If I could find something like it about 2/3rds that size, I would go ahead and install it.[/QUOTE]

Whats wrong with one like Floyd posted the photos of?
Old 10-15-2013, 05:49 PM   #15

Michigan
Ahh- today I went to a couple of RV dealers, and found those FIC locks, which are the common original equipment on many RV brands. I got to check out and measure the lock- which comes in black, white, or chrome.
It calls for a hole in the door about 1/2 the size you would need for the Bargman lock, so that's going to work just fine.

And I will have a couple of Bargmans for sale...
Thanks to all who wrote. TK
Old 10-16-2013, 12:12 PM   #16

Michigan
I shopped locks yesterday at a couple of RV stores- that FIC is pretty much generic for many camper brands; comes in black, white, or chrome. I'm going to go that route, since it's only about half the size of a Bargman, and has a deadbolt built in.

So- that leaves me with two used Bargmans, if anybody is looking...
Old 10-16-2013, 01:05 PM   #17

Registry
Tom if you posted them under a new thread with a Bargman Heading in the for sale section I suspect you will get some pretty fast takers.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:01 PM   #18

Name: David
Trailer: Escape Trailers
Massachusetts
Fastec Door Lock

Quote:
I don't know if you got your answers. I'm in the process of installing A Fastec Door Lock on our Scamp 19. I'm using instructions from Jack at
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...3435/lightbox/
His instructions are quite detailed. I believe you must be a member of Yahoo's Scamper Modifications group to open it. Darral on the FGRV site has been very helpful on this project and has posted pictures, but nit as complete a set as Jack.

I bought the Fastec lock from Amazon for about $25. They offer them in white, black, or chrome, we got chrome. I did have to include a 1/4" spacer in order to tighten it onto the door.

I think this will be a very worthwhile improvement.

David
Stretcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:05 PM   #19

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I replaced the stock latch with this lock: Decker 1042 Lock

I had to cover the old holes with a piece of white plexiglas, but this lock works much better than the stock assembly.

--Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp