Bashed in front of Scamp - ideas to cover window hole? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2016, 12:54 PM   #21

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
bending plywood

Note about bending plywood for the non woodworkers. Thin pywood will flex but it will flex easier in one direction that the other. So test the plywood to see which way you will want to cut it if you are making a backer plate to go on a curved surface.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 02:32 PM   #22

Name: Holly
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Texas
Thank you for all that detailed information! I really appreciate it.
HollyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 03:07 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Another useful material for backing (or finished cabinets) is bending plywood. Rather than stacking the plies in opposite directions as in standard plywood, the plays all go the same way making it very flexible (in one direction). Not inexpensive, but great for curved surfaces.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 04:07 PM   #24

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner 2016 Honda Pilot
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'd suggest you keep an eye on any leaks that may form right at the belly band. The two halves are fiberglassed together right there. It's possible that area has now been compromised.
Excellent advice! That's what happened to our Scamp when it was hit by a tree limb. The PO made repairs to the belly band, but the real damage was to the fiberglass that seals the two halves. It was a very easy fix, once I opened up the rat fur behind the belly band (and read the fiberglass link above.) Don't let those leaks get started! Fixing from the outside just won't hold water .
neparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 04:40 PM   #25

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
You might want to look up the thread on replacing boler windows by Kevin ("B" I think). He did some youtube videos on the window and gasket.
Just note that Kevin used the new gasket backwards (outside in) because he felt it looked better.

Your issues may not be as bad as you think.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp