Bathroom taps - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2017, 06:07 PM   #1

Name: Jason
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Bathroom taps

I have a 19' 19'88 bigfoot and the taps leek. I pulled out the valves and went to the local plumbing store and they laughed at me!! They say even if I could find such an obscure part I'd be dumb to install a nylon valve in the first place.
First question....does anyone know the manufacturer used by bigfoot for taps in '88?
Second questin...if they can't be found how do you change the tap set? Do I have to drop the tanks and do it from the outside?
Bolerpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 07:41 PM   #2

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Can't you just pull and replace the faucet? A decent RV bathroom faucet is inexpensive.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:00 PM   #3

British Columbia
I could, but I can't see how to access it. the whole bathroom is one big insert. Looks like I have to drop the black water tank to get to it?
Old 11-06-2017, 09:19 PM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Maybe Bigfoot can advise you if you give them a call or email. Not sure, things have changed around there since '88, but maybe....
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 09:34 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Wait... Bigfoot never made the faucet for the bathroom. They're probably 4" centers. Kinda like you'd find in a lot of sticks 'n bricks home bathrooms. I replaced the taps in my 1988 Scamp. I went to Camping World (closest RV parts place to me), with the part I was able to dig out.. it was a cone shaped washer. PEX to faucet. Probably not something you'd find at a local hardware store, but something pretty common at an RV parts store. I hope you can figure it out

Sorta looked like this
Attached Images

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 09:40 PM   #6

Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolerpuller View Post
I could, but I can't see how to access it. the whole bathroom is one big insert. Looks like I have to drop the black water tank to get to it?
Any chance you can post a photo? It sounds to me like the plumbing was built in such a way that it's accessed elsewhere. Maybe there's a panel on an adjacent wall to the bath? I've seen alot of threads about what a pita it is to replace. Obviously Bigfoot never anticipated it would need to be accessed.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:53 AM   #7

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
I don't know how it is on the 19-footers but when I replumbed my 17-footer I was able to access the lavatory plumbing through the access door on the left-rear to the small storage area there. There is a picture of the plumbing there in this thread.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...7-a-58944.html
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:43 AM   #8

Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainjunkie View Post
I don't know how it is on the 19-footers but when I replumbed my 17-footer I was able to access the lavatory plumbing through the access door on the left-rear to the small storage area there. There is a picture of the plumbing there in this thread.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...7-a-58944.html
That's kind of what I thought. There usually is another way to access it if it's not visible from the sink area itself.
Old 11-07-2017, 02:49 PM   #9

British Columbia
Hope these help. As you can see there isn't an easy way to get at the taps, I managed to find the bottom by going through the access panel on the bottom left (Thanks trainjunkie) but its so far up I can't reach it. (Special tool?) I also took a pick the valve itself in case anyone recognizes it?
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
20171107_123046_resized.jpg   20171107_123126_resized.jpg  

20171107_123354_resized.jpg  
Old 11-07-2017, 04:24 PM   #10

Trailer: 87 Scamp 13 ft
They lasted since 1988, just buy replacments and replace them.
JOE DRISSEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 05:28 PM   #11

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE DRISSEL View Post
They lasted since 1988, just buy replacments and replace them.
Ya, that was my first move, but it's easier said than done.
Even having found the access to the bottom of the taps, I can't reach them. My arms are about 4 inches too short. In fact, taking the picture above is the only way I've been able to see them at all.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:54 PM   #12

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Amazon
https://smile.amazon.com/Dura-Faucet...hower+diverter
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:11 PM   #13

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I'm reading this as the problem is the faucet valves are leaking, not the connections from the piping. So if that is the case, is it that the valves won't completely shut off and the faucet drips, or does water leak up around the valve shaft and out under the handle. If either is what is happening you may be able to find the bottom rubber washer (or modify one to fit) and the correct size o-ring, rather than a replacement valve insert. Sometimes you have to get lucky and find the right place and person to help you, rather than just the answer of "you're nuts to do that" You could probably get the lines disconnected from the faucet assembly using a basin wrench, but I don't know how you would connect them to a new faucet if you can't reach it.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:25 PM   #14

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Buy the new faucet and use the parts from that to repair the old one.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:32 PM   #15

Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolerpuller View Post
Hope these help. As you can see there isn't an easy way to get at the taps, I managed to find the bottom by going through the access panel on the bottom left (Thanks trainjunkie) but its so far up I can't reach it. (Special tool?) I also took a pick the valve itself in case anyone recognizes it?
Thanks!
Man, what a pain. The good news is, if you can reach the plastic pipe nuts, they are usually just finger tight. I don't know of a special tool though.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:49 PM   #16

British Columbia
Mary and Bob,
Thank you! The leak is in the tap itself....Drip Drip Drip....and of course that means the pump keeps coming on to keep the pressure up. I'm unable to find a new, drop in valve (There are thousands of them), but I never thought about changing just the O ring. Great Idea! I'll drop by the hardware store tomorrow. Thanks!
Old 11-07-2017, 07:56 PM   #17

New York
If the faucet drips, as in it doesn't shut off completely, you need to replace that rubber washer on the bottom end, probably has a screw holding it on. Looks like yours is tapered or cone shaped. They are available in different sizes. Check to see if where it seats down inside the faucet is clean, no rough spots or mineral build up. You probably can run your little finger down in there to wipe it clean.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:35 PM   #18

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
You will need a basin wrench (old school) to disconnect the water lines and mounting nuts. I use this tool from Home Depot it uses the pipe as a guide to get on the nuts I like it better than a basin wrench.
Eddie
Usually found in the store. Watch the video.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-F...7018/100595073
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:04 PM   #19

New York
Eddie, that's an interesting tool. Will he be able to get the mounting nuts and water line nuts back on with it as he can't reach them with his hand.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:05 PM   #20

Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
You will need a basin wrench (old school) to disconnect the water lines and mounting nuts. I use this tool from Home Depot it uses the pipe as a guide to get on the nuts I like it better than a basin wrench.
Eddie
Usually found in the store. Watch the video.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-F...7018/100595073
That might just do the trick. He's only about 4" from reaching the nuts. I wouldn't fool with the valves, just replace the faucet. Phoenix makes one that looks pretty much the same as original.

Tags
bigfoot