Battery charge. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2006, 12:50 PM   #1

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Okay. We haven't had our Casita for long. Only since October 2005. It's a 2002 model.

We've noticed that the battery will rarely hold a charge for more than about a day and a half. And that's being conservative with it when we're boondocking. Yes, we have a generator, which makes it largely a non-issue, but I like to have the option available in an emergency.

I've never removed the battery to have a look. Before I do so...any advice or any clues as to what the problem may be? Do you think it's time for a new battery? (I do have a pal with a Casita, and he had to buy a new battery afer the first year he had his trailer.)
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 02:38 PM   #2

Trailer: 78 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Okay. We haven't had our Casita for long. Only since October 2005. It's a 2002 model.

We've noticed that the battery will rarely hold a charge for more than about a day and a half. And that's being conservative with it when we're boondocking. Yes, we have a generator, which makes it largely a non-issue, but I like to have the option available in an emergency.

I've never removed the battery to have a look. Before I do so...any advice or any clues as to what the problem may be? Do you think it's time for a new battery? (I do have a pal with a Casita, and he had to buy a new battery afer the first year he had his trailer.)
Bob,
I don't know if you have a marine deep cycle battery or not, or if the drawdown test would be as applicable as for a car battery, but I've saved money fpr a new battery on two occasions by taking the questionable battery in to the local auto parts place (NAPA for here) and having them do a drawdown check . They did not charge either time. Four years seems about right to possibly need a new battery depending on it's usage.
George
George Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 02:45 PM   #3

Trailer: Helite
I strongly suspect the battery is low on water. pry the top off and look then add distilled water. If you have to pry off, glue it back on after U fill it.
Art VanDelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 05:57 PM   #4

Thanks!

I'll check the water level on Sunday and see how that is.

It takes a charge just fine, but doesn't hold it as long as I feel that it should.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:18 AM   #5

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Other things to check are: Are you using a voltmeter to check the charge? It takes several hours for the voltage to stabilize after either a load or a charge before you should check the voltage. Previously, there have been published on this site the appropriate voltage for a fully charged battery. My recollection is 12.7 is a fully charged battery. It can take hours for the battery to drop from the 13+ volts from the charger down to a stable number.

Also, watch out for hidden drains on the battery. The TV amplifier should be off. A plug in voltmeter has a small continuous drain. Some people put in automotive radios and the clock and memory presets can drain. Just turning on a couple lights inside the trailer to read a voltmeter can cause a temporary drop in voltage. Things like that.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 03:13 PM   #6

Getting ready to head over to where I have my Casita stored. I've left it hooked up all day yesterday, all night long, and all afternoon. By the time I get over there to unhook the plug and check the charge, it will have been charging for over 24 hours. The first thing I did yesterday was take the battery out and check the fluid--it was fine, so I didn't have to add any distilled water at all.

I'm hoping it has just been that I've never been able to let it sit and charge for 24 hours. We'll see.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:19 PM   #7

Well, it read 13V today after I unhooked the power. I'm going to charge it for a full 24 hours before our next trip. Of course my next outing we'll have electric hookups. But better to have the charge just in case.

Tags
battery