battery charging question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2019, 11:48 AM   #1

Name: Patricia
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Ontario
battery charging question

I need to use a battery charger to charge the deep cell battery in my trailer. Can I leave the various cables attached tot he terminals while charging or is it best to remove them?
Patricia D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:04 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Leave them connected.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:48 PM   #3

Ontario
Thank you. I know it must seem straight forward for most people but I was just not sure.
Old 07-23-2019, 01:11 PM   #4

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
+1 for leaving them attached.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:36 PM   #5

Ontario
secondary ques

When I charged the battery (not enough obviously) outside the trailer before putting it in and attaching everything up, I put a battery cable on the negative post and attached the negative to that, as directed in the battery charger manual. Do I do the same at this point?
Old 07-23-2019, 02:32 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Yes, charger negative to battery negative, charger positive to battery positive.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 02:41 PM   #7

Smith Valley, Nevada
Patricia,

Try not to let your battery voltage get below 12.2 volts before you re-charge it. If there is a small constant load that runs the battery down when you are not using it, you can pull one of the cables off to hold the charge.

You can also get a battery tender that will keep it charged up when not being used. This will save your battery and allow it to remain hooked up.
Old 07-24-2019, 12:53 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
A smart charger will automatically cut back the charging amperage to maintain the full charge without over charging.

Another trick is to add a battery disconnect switch in the negative cable so the parasitic loads don't drain the battery while trailer is in storage. ( I did that because the battery in our Parkliner is inaccessible without removing the LP tanks.
If yours is easy to get at, just disconnect the negative, or ground, cable. - assuming you have negative ground system -
Any time you are disconnecting the battery, ALWAYS do the (-) post first.
that way, even if you touch your wrench to metal, while undoing the + post, it won't short out.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 02:04 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
A smart charger will automatically cut back the charging amperage to maintain the full charge without over charging.

Another trick is to add a battery disconnect switch in the negative cable so the parasitic loads don't drain the battery while trailer is in storage. ( I did that because the battery in our Parkliner is inaccessible without removing the LP tanks.
If yours is easy to get at, just disconnect the negative, or ground, cable. - assuming you have negative ground system -
that way, even if you touch your wrench to metal, while undoing the + post, it won't short out.
I don't know why the negative lead should come off first or a disconnect switch in the negative when according to Kirchhoff's law it doesn't matter. For automobiles the frame is use to conduct current via the negative terminal which would cause a problem if the wrench used to disconnect a terminal managed to touch the frame while undoing the positive terminal while the negative is still attached. In case of fiberglass trailers it's not an issue.

Once the loop is broken that it.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:43 PM   #10

Smith Valley, Nevada
Fiberglass trailers have metal frames. Often the batteries are located too close to the tongue jack, which is metal and bolted to the frame. Or next to steel propane tanks that are sitting on metal brackets bolted to the frame.

Did Kirchhoff have any particular opinion about a grounded steel propane tank shorted to a positive battery terminal with a wrench?
Old 07-30-2019, 10:17 AM   #11

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
Recently bought an upright charger with wheels from Sears before they shut down. The instructions now say to hook and unhook the positive cable first. I guess their thinking is that there is less chance of the battery being grounded when you hook up the positive first.

I have heard stories of mechanics grounding out their wedding rings while using a wrench on the positive pole and the wrench coming in contact with the frame.
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 10:30 AM   #12

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post

I agree Wayne....the battery disconnect is a great idea. Our trailer is on site here on our property....I keep her plugged in all winter with the battery disconnected. About once a month....I turn the switch and let the battery charge for 5/6 hours from shore power....this process keeps the battery fully charged and ready to go at any time. Been using this method for years and get many years out of the battery.
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 11:18 AM   #13

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
My buddy Kirchhoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Fiberglass trailers have metal frames. Often the batteries are located too close to the tongue jack, which is metal and bolted to the frame. Or next to steel propane tanks that are sitting on metal brackets bolted to the frame.

Did Kirchhoff have any particular opinion about a grounded steel propane tank shorted to a positive battery terminal with a wrench?
He told me personally it was the quickest way to meet my maker should there happen to be a leak in the propane system.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 11:45 AM   #14

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I don't know why the negative lead should come off first or a disconnect switch in the negative when according to Kirchhoff's law it doesn't matter. For automobiles the frame is use to conduct current via the negative terminal which would cause a problem if the wrench used to disconnect a terminal managed to touch the frame while undoing the positive terminal while the negative is still attached. In case of fiberglass trailers it's not an issue.

Once the loop is broken that it.
B.K... get your voltmeter out, touch the positive lead the battery positive post and the negative lead to any bare metal on your trailer's tongue. Really.. do that before commenting further. If reading is zero, then you are correct for you.. it does not matter which terminal you disconnect first.

But for me, and most every Scamp owner out there, there will be 12 volts on the meter.

There are many people on this board who are newer and have not read many of your posts, and therefore don't know that your advice, equipment and camping (RV) lifestyle rarely is applicable to the majority.

Removing negative post first (or positive if pos ground system) can never hurt, but removing the positive post connection first with a negative grounded frame can hurt. I've grounded a wrench that way and once is all it takes to understand the common sense of removing the ground connection first.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 01:49 PM   #15
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post

But for me, and most every Scamp owner out there, there will be 12 volts on the meter.

There are many people on this board who are newer and have not read many of your posts, and therefore don't know that your advice, equipment and camping (RV) lifestyle rarely is applicable to the majority.

Removing negative post first (or positive if pos ground system) can never hurt, but removing the positive post connection first with a negative grounded frame can hurt. I've grounded a wrench that way and once is all it takes to understand the common sense of removing the ground connection first.
As the only valid reason for connecting the negative side of the battery to the frame is to use the frame as a conductor, I can only assume Byrons point is that most fiberglass trailers don't. I can't say if that is true or not but my Trillium does not. I guess Scamp uses the frame for the electric brake connection, a common source of brake issues, apparently. I'm not sure about Casita or Escape. As far as Byrons camping lifestyle rarely being applicable to the majority, did you take a survey? While he may be a little blunt, many of his posts ring true with me. I'm an each to his own kinda guy, so I seldom comment.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 02:34 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
If your trailer has electric brakes & a breakaway switch, the negative of the battery should/must be connected to the trailer frame since that is what majority of trailer brakes use for the negative connection.

When the breakaway switch is pulled, the Trailer battery supplies the current to the brakes. Without a negative connection, no brakes.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 03:34 PM   #17
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
If your trailer has electric brakes & a breakaway switch, the negative of the battery should/must be connected to the trailer frame since that is what majority of trailer brakes use for the negative connection.

When the breakaway switch is pulled, the Trailer battery supplies the current to the brakes. Without a negative connection, no brakes.
Again, my Trillium uses a second wire instead of the frame for the return path and the breakaway switch works fine as I installed and tested it. So I guess what you are telling us is that Escape also uses the frame as a conductor. Good to know.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:47 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Again, my Trillium uses a second wire instead of the frame for the return path and the breakaway switch works fine as I installed and tested it. So I guess what you are telling us is that Escape also uses the frame as a conductor. Good to know.
Since the tow vehicle ground powers the trailer brakes while driving, even if you have a separate ground wire from the converter ground going to the brakes, the two negatives are tied together at the brakes. A short between the battery + and the trailer chassis (or anything tied to it such as your propane tanks, etc) will result in the ground wire from the brakes carrying the short circuit current.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 03:51 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
As the only valid reason for connecting the negative side of the battery to the frame is to use the frame as a conductor, I can only assume Byrons point is that most fiberglass trailers don't. I can't say if that is true or not but my Trillium does not. I guess Scamp uses the frame for the electric brake connection, a common source of brake issues, apparently. I'm not sure about Casita or Escape. As far as Byrons camping lifestyle rarely being applicable to the majority, did you take a survey? While he may be a little blunt, many of his posts ring true with me. I'm an each to his own kinda guy, so I seldom comment.
both my Casita and my Escape have the chassis grounded to both the 120VAC ground wire, and the battery negative.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 04:07 PM   #20
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
Since the tow vehicle ground powers the trailer brakes while driving, even if you have a separate ground wire from the converter ground going to the brakes, the two negatives are tied together at the brakes. A short between the battery + and the trailer chassis (or anything tied to it such as your propane tanks, etc) will result in the ground wire from the brakes carrying the short circuit current.
I guess I'm missing something here. If there is no continuity between the coil wires on each brake magnet and the magnet housing, how will the return wire become part of the circuit.

Tags
battery