Battery Charging with EU2000 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2003, 06:45 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Battery Charging with EU2000

My Eu2000i owners manual is a bit confusing about battery charging. The text merely says connect red to + and black to -. Nothing about disconnecting batt from vehicle. But the illustration shows the battery out of the vehicle (no other leads attached) and the fill caps removed (!).

Also, I seem to remember reading somewhere that the battery should be charged for only a very short time. Something like 10-15 minutes. But I can't find that reference now.

If I have occasion to do it, I'd like to be able to do it the safest way.

Anybody know how it's SUPPOSED to be done with the Eu2000?

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 07:55 AM   #2

eu2000I

Robert, notice that the Honda Owner's Manual, page 24, says ''1.--------disconnect the vehicle ground battery cable from the battery negative (-) terminal.'' That refers to the black (-) cable connecting vehicle battery to vehicle frame. (Most vehicles are negative ground.) I believe that is the preferred method no matter what type of charger is used in order to keep us from frying the automobile electronics. Anyway, I always disconnect a battery that way.

I don't think that our Hondas have any method of tapering off as the battery reaches full-charge using the 12v. connection, so I would be sure I didn't leave it connected (via the 12v. terminal) too long, checking the condition of the battery from time to time. That's perhaps what you recall regarding a time limitation. Taper should not be a concern for the trailer battery when you are connected via the a.c. cable.

I have the Honda 12v. d.c. charge cable accessory, as you do, but I've not yet had occasion to use it. Just leaving the gen on the regular trailer a.c. cable keeps everything running and the battery charged, same as if you're connected to shore power.

I looked in the Honda Shop Manual too, but it doesn't further elaborate on 12v. charging over what the Owner's Manual says.

B.t.w., when searching the Manual, I found this bit of info which would be helpful for others who have questions about how much of the eu2000i's power can be utilized: ''Limit operation requiring maximum power (i.e., 2000VA) to 30 minutes; for continuous operation, do not exceed the rated power (1,600 VA).''

Old 03-29-2003, 08:18 AM   #3

What Mayberry's has to say...

Thanks, George.

Don Mayberry (just called him) has this to say about charging/jumping with the Eu20001...

1. He agrees that the manual is confusing and should be revised.

2. You *cannot* jumpstart a battery with the Eu2000.

3. You *can* charge a battery, but with some reservations... Absolute maximum time on charge would be about 45 minutes for a fully depleted battery. (But try it after 15-20 minutes.) This also depends on type of battery and other factors. No need, in his opinion, to disconnect batt from vehicle OR to remove caps. For safety you might want to hook the - lead to the frame rather than directly to the - terminal of the batt.

This is definitely strictly an emergency procedure. BTW, I was referring to my truck batt and not the one in the trailer, altho I guess everything applies there as well.

Old 03-29-2003, 10:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Orginally posted by Robert Brummett
Don Mayberry (just called him) has this to say about charging/jumping with the Eu20001...
Isn't Don Mayberry Jr. responsive and a nice guy?
That's why I'm glad I bought from him. I recommend him to everyone who wants Honda (or other) power equipment.

Old 03-29-2003, 11:26 AM   #5

Absolutely!

All the folks at Mayberry's have been great to deal with. I've talked to them a coupla times and they always are pleasant and have time for your questions. When I get service like I've gotten from them, I don't mind paying a little more for it. HOWEVER, in this case, they have just about the lowest prices anywhere AS WELL AS great service. I talk 'em up, too, George, because they deserve it!

Old 03-29-2003, 01:25 PM   #6

Mayberry's / Email dated 3 28 2003

Here's a copy of an email I got last night - in case others would like to contact Mayberry's.
Thank you for visiting Mayberrys.com, we appreciate your inquiry!

Internet sale prices end April 15th 2003!

Super Quiet - Inverter Equipped models:
EU1000iA2...$629.00..FREE FedEx shipping!....in stock!
EU2000i.....$859.00..FREE FedEx shipping!....in stock!
EU3000is....$1575.00...IN STOCK!

*The "EU" series are most popular with campers, boaters and other types of recreation because of their quietness! Also great for small appliance emergency back-up at home!

*Sale prices do not include shipping unless shown. Shipping shown is within the US 48-States.

http://www.mayberrys.com/honda/generator

For the shipping costs please reply with your zip code, a model and
whether we would be shipping to a residence or company. NOTE: Shipping to a company/business is generally less expensive BUT can not be operated from a residence.

If we ship to you outside NJ, there would be NO SALES TAX!

We welcome Visa, MasterCard, Discover, Amex, bank-transfers,
money-orders, checks and Government PO's.

For further information or to place an order, feel free to E-mail, fax,
or call us toll-free at 800-696-1745.

Thank you again,
Don Mayberry Jr

Mayberry Sales and Service, Inc.
232 Main Street
Port Murray, NJ 07865
Phone: 800-696-1745
Fax: 208-279-1181 or 908-689-3342
http://www.mayberrys.com
mailto:donjr@mayberrys.com

***** "Honda's largest U.S. equipment dealer FOUR years in a row!" *****