Battery didn't charge while Driving - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2016, 06:15 AM   #21

Name: jim
Trailer: Escape 21 Nov.2016
Florida
Registry
7pin wiring

We have a 07 Sequoia without a tow package bet we had installed a bargeman 7 pin connector Only 5 pins are working It's hooked up to trailer a boat with disc brakes I'm missing the brake and charging circuits .
I didn't realize I could take the power off the 12 volt plug in back of vehicle .I'm going with a prodigy RF unit that does not need the brake component just need the charging circuit . I will look at 12 volt in back see if it's strong enough 12g ? Thanks for any advice Jim
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 06:36 AM   #22

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Hi Jim, I had a 7 amp load plugged into the "12v power port" aka cigarette lighter socket in the back of my Jeep. After ten minutes it was too hot to touch.

Denny Wolfe
Wanderingourway.wordpress.com
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 07:00 AM   #23

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
I will look at 12 volt in back see if it's strong enough 12g ? Thanks for any advice Jim
Run a dedicated wire with self reset 30A fuse from battery to the 7 pin connector, do not re-use existing 12v socket.
Old 08-13-2016, 07:24 AM   #24

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
The best way to determine the adequacy of a already installed charging system between the tow vehicle & trailer is to actually measure the charging current under normal conditions. Find someone with a clamp on DC amp meter (Sears sells a relatively inexpensive one that is also a multimeter that can measure resistance & voltage).

With the tow vehicle connected & the refrigerator on 12V DC, run the engine at your normal driving RPM & put the clamp on meter around the wire going to the #4 pin on the 7 pin connector. If the current is equal to or over the refrigerator's draw, you system is adequate. If not, then improving the wiring is worth doing if you plan to run the refrigerator on 12V while driving.

While measuring voltage gives you some idea of the charging system, it is not alway accurate since it depends on the the state of charge of both vehicle's batteries and other variables. The amperage measurement is more accurate.

I also suggest checking that the tow vehicle connection shuts off with the ignition. Some do, and some don't. A inexpensive solenoid can be added that will do it automatically, saving remembering to unplug during long stops.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 07:55 AM   #25

Name: jim
Trailer: Escape 21 Nov.2016
Florida
Registry
07 Sequoia

Thanks Denny ,and the rest for helping .I will run a 10ga wire from battery with 30 amp fuse and put solenoid where?

Denny we sold the Snoozy will be buying a 21 ft Escape a little more room for Grandkids and it has all the options I was going to do to Snoozy. hope all is well Jim
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 08:12 AM   #26

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
Thanks Denny ,and the rest for helping .I will run a 10ga wire from battery with 30 amp fuse and put solenoid where?

etrailer has many guides on the topic, such as:
https://www.etrailer.com/question-18098.html

There might be one more specific to your case but many are similar.

You MIGHT be able to use the 12 volt socket in the rear of the tug to control the solenoid but not supply the actually charging current, assuming the socket is "on" only when the engine is running. If your charge wire is run under the tug as most are you would need a wire from the socket to the solenoid somewhere near the charge wire but the best location is vehicle dependent.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery